d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > Sports Coliseum > Golf > #1
Prev123Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 12,713.00
Apr 5 2013 02:35pm
Quote (MeatStick101 @ Apr 4 2013 07:23pm)
Some people would argue Gretzky, B Jackson, Michael Jordan, etc etc.

Some other people would argue that Tiger is not even the most dominant player in golf history, yet.

This.

Just because the longevity in golf is a lot longer than most other sports, doesn't mean that one person isn't the most dominant person in sports at one time. Tiger sounds impressive, sure, he has what? 15 + years in his career? People easily forget how ridiculously impressive and dominating those above people were in their respective eras.

This post was edited by CENSOR on Apr 5 2013 02:36pm
Gold: 0.00
Apr 5 2013 04:44pm
Quote (MeatStick101 @ Apr 4 2013 08:23pm)
Some people would argue Gretzky, B Jackson, Michael Jordan, etc etc.

Some other people would argue that Tiger is not even the most dominant player in golf history, yet.

You can only judge a player by who they play against.
Tiger Woods is HANDS DOWN the most dominant player in his era and there is NO argument.
Its hard to judge Tiger vs Jack just like it's hard to Kobe or Lebron vs Jordan.

Quote (CENSOR @ Apr 5 2013 02:35pm)
This.

Just because the longevity in golf is a lot longer than most other sports, doesn't mean that one person isn't the most dominant person in sports at one time. Tiger sounds impressive, sure, he has what? 15 + years in his career?  People easily forget how ridiculously impressive and dominating those above people were in their respective eras.

Although... golf is MUCH more popular today than it was when Jack played. With so many more people playing golf I think the talent pool is much larger and therefore, Tiger is playing against a higher level of competition. This makes Tiger's accomplishments a little more impressive IMO

This post was edited by Kazium on Apr 5 2013 04:48pm
Gold: Locked
Trader: Scammer
Apr 7 2013 11:12am
Quote (CENSOR @ Apr 5 2013 04:35pm)
This.

Just because the longevity in golf is a lot longer than most other sports, doesn't mean that one person isn't the most dominant person in sports at one time. Tiger sounds impressive, sure, he has what? 15 + years in his career?  People easily forget how ridiculously impressive and dominating those above people were in their respective eras.

Bo Jackson? Sure he is the most athletic athlete we've ever seen play multiple sports, but a better career? He never rushed for 1,000 yards and was a backup running back.

When I say dominant I mean Tiger Woods or Michael Jordan. They both dominated their sports and have the championships and awards to go along with it.
Gold: 12,713.00
Apr 9 2013 06:53pm
Quote (Kazium @ Apr 5 2013 03:44pm)
You can only judge a player by who they play against.
Tiger Woods is HANDS DOWN the most dominant player in his era and there is NO argument.
Its hard to judge Tiger vs Jack  just like it's hard to Kobe or Lebron vs Jordan.

Although... golf is MUCH more popular today than it was when Jack played. With so many more people playing golf I think the talent pool is much larger and therefore, Tiger is playing against a higher level of competition. This makes Tiger's accomplishments a little more impressive IMO

Tiger is the most dominant for golf. Not for any sport, period. Again, I feel he is up there but there's no way you can persuade millions of fans he was more dominant than Jordan was in his era. Or, dare I say it, Serena Williams.
Apr 10 2013 07:55am
Quote (CENSOR @ Apr 9 2013 08:53pm)
Tiger is the most dominant for golf. Not for any sport, period. Again, I feel he is up there but there's no way you can persuade millions of fans he was more dominant than Jordan was in his era. Or, dare I say it, Serena Williams.

Wow, you my friend don't watch a lot of golf.
Gold: 0.00
Apr 10 2013 08:00am
add in the fact that Jordan played a team sport where other players were running schemes, setting screens and doing other things to set MJ up. MJ did have help where Tiger is all on his own.
I'm just saying there is a debate there and feel that Woods could be more dominant in his own sport.
Serena... now you are just trolling
Apr 10 2013 10:14am
Quote (Kazium @ Apr 10 2013 10:00am)
add in the fact that Jordan played a team sport where other players were running schemes, setting screens and doing other things to set MJ up. MJ did have help where Tiger is all on his own.
I'm just saying there is a debate there and feel that Woods could be more dominant in his own sport.
Serena... now you are just trolling

Exactly.
Gold: 0.69
Apr 12 2013 01:03am
imagine how many more majors he would have if he hadn't lost sex for awhile, and had those injuries.

I'm not much of a tiger fan but yes, I'd say in his prime hands down the most dominate player ever in any sport.

edit: watch out for that 14 year old though.

This post was edited by chips456 on Apr 12 2013 01:04am
Apr 12 2013 02:26pm
Quote (chips456 @ Apr 12 2013 03:03am)
imagine how many more majors he would have if he hadn't lost sex for awhile, and had those injuries.

I'm not much of a tiger fan but yes, I'd say in his prime hands down the most dominate player ever in any sport.

edit: watch out for that 14 year old though.

What most people don't understand though is that Tiger is probably in the middle of his career. He has many more years left in the tank.

Another thing, people talk about his "prime" and "back when he was amazing". The guy has won three times already this year. I honestly think if he wins the Masters this week, he would be playing the best golf of his career. Yeah, I said that.

If he wins this week, Major #15...he, in my opinion, goes back to his playing years where he won all 4 Majors in a row. Scary. To make my point more valid, there is no question in my mind that Tiger is back. It's going to be interesting to see how this week unfolds.
Gold: 94.01
Apr 13 2013 05:50am
Quote (Woods @ Apr 12 2013 03:26pm)
What most people don't understand though is that Tiger is probably in the middle of his career.  He has many more years left in the tank.

Another thing, people talk about his "prime" and "back when he was amazing".  The guy has won three times already this year.  I honestly think if he wins the Masters this week, he would be playing the best golf of his career.  Yeah, I said that.

If he wins this week, Major #15...he, in my opinion, goes back to his playing years where he won all 4 Majors in a row.  Scary.  To make my point more valid, there is no question in my mind that Tiger is back.  It's going to be interesting to see how this week unfolds.

it's not how many times you win, it's what you win. Once upon a time he won all 4 majors consecutively, not in a single year, but consecutively. He has a long ways to go before he's playing at that level again. Still great to see Tiger playing so well. Golf is much more exciting with these Guan, Woods, Couples, McIlroy stories.
Go Back To Golf Topic List
Prev123Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll