d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Diablo II > Diablo 2 Discussion > Legit Dueling > D2a (d2 Arena) Dueling League Announcement > D2:R
Prev134567Next
Add Reply New Topic
Gold: 13,470.00
Warn: 10%
Jan 19 2022 05:54am
My view would be to have a tournament ruleset enabling each class to have at least 1 build with the ability to win a tournament (if the best player(s) use that class).

Some of us have played each class in PvP. Yes some players are just better then others and they are hard-to-kill. But for PvP each class has at least 1 strong PvP build. The goal at this point should not be to ban/nerf a single class (wtf assassins) but to look at this across all the classes until we get to the stage where a very skilled player can say "i will play with X class in this tournament - I am skilled enough to be a contender to win with this class. If that nerfs some builds and buffs others to get there, well fine.

You cannot fully mitigate against hard counters but you can balance the classes (further) somewhat. If every class is competing, not just taking part, then HLD PvP will be a very healthy place where skill, not match-up, has a larger impact on the result.

In the main, lets see what the new patch and runewords bring and take stock at that point.

As always, well done to Aaronoob and Arena for bringing us all these tournaments. This is the springtime of D2r PvP.

This post was edited by ferdia on Jan 19 2022 05:54am
Gold: 5,627.00
Jan 19 2022 07:49am
Quote (ferdia @ Jan 19 2022 06:54am)
My view would be to have a tournament ruleset enabling each class to have at least 1 build with the ability to win a tournament (if the best player(s) use that class).

Some of us have played each class in PvP. Yes some players are just better then others and they are hard-to-kill. But for PvP each class has at least 1 strong PvP build. The goal at this point should not be to ban/nerf a single class (wtf assassins) but to look at this across all the classes until we get to the stage where a very skilled player can say "i will play with X class in this tournament - I am skilled enough to be a contender to win with this class. If that nerfs some builds and buffs others to get there, well fine.

You cannot fully mitigate against hard counters but you can balance the classes (further) somewhat. If every class is competing, not just taking part, then HLD PvP will be a very healthy place where skill, not match-up, has a larger impact on the result.

In the main, lets see what the new patch and runewords bring and take stock at that point.

As always, well done to Aaronoob and Arena for bringing us all these tournaments. This is the springtime of D2r PvP.

I think we already have this. We’ve seen people win tournaments on the below classes.

ES Sorc (FB)
Bone Nec
Bowzon (or hybrid)
Trap Assassin
Wind Druid
Hammerdin or Smiter (and their variants)

Of course some builds have hard counters, but for the most part, I’d argue it’s pretty balanced. Certain builds are better at different things than others. For example, trap, windy and Nec stand slightly above the other ones in 1v1 setting. Zons are terrifying in teams. Sorc is only one that is sorta out of place atm. But really good sorc can still take out most builds (aside from hard counter).

This post was edited by Azn Masta on Jan 19 2022 07:50am
Jan 19 2022 07:57am
Yes, its a great time for PvP, and with the reset around the corner (with the resulting price drops) more players will enter the "affordability bracket" which will boost the PvP population. Bear in mind that alot of casuals still cant afford an Enigma. I am firmly of the view to look at D2r PvP rule/mechanic positives rather then then sitting on the fence (or be opposed to the game) due to bugs/issues/change/rules. Lets grow this community into something great.

This post was edited by ferdia on Jan 19 2022 08:14am
Gold: 0.00
Jan 19 2022 08:24am
Quote (Azn Masta @ Jan 19 2022 08:49am)
I think we already have this. We’ve seen people win tournaments on the below classes.

ES Sorc (FB)
Bone Nec
Bowzon (or hybrid)
Trap Assassin
Wind Druid
Hammerdin or Smiter (and their variants)

Of course some builds have hard counters, but for the most part, I’d argue it’s pretty balanced. Certain builds are better at different things than others. For example, trap, windy and Nec stand slightly above the other ones in 1v1 setting. Zons are terrifying in teams. Sorc is only one that is sorta out of place atm. But really good sorc can still take out most builds (aside from hard counter).

Would actually disagree on windy being above the others. On legacy, at least 1/3 of the tournaments I hosted were won by a druid. On D2R it has only happened once
Jan 19 2022 09:53am
its fine fine, more tournaments, more results, no biggee.
Gold: 119.00
Apr 6 2022 07:33am
will this league stay non ladder?

iam interessted in starting with pvp but i unsure if its gonna be a ladder or non ladder thing
Gold: 9,449.69
Apr 6 2022 07:42am

Gold: 400.00
Apr 6 2022 07:43am
Quote (Paxtar @ Apr 6 2022 09:33am)

iam interessted in starting with pvp but i unsure if its gonna be a ladder or non ladder thing

I believe they will likely stay non ladder as that is where ladder gear dumps and allows for best built pvp chars.

I wouldnt rule out the potential for some ladder events but I would expect majority of tournys etc will continue on the non ladder side
Gold: 0.00
Apr 6 2022 09:21am
Quote (Paxtar @ Apr 6 2022 09:33am)

Yes, it's very unlikely we would run events on ladder (but possible if there is enough interest). Costs too much to rebuild and the new runewords aren't significant enough to justify the shift.
Gold: 30.89
Apr 6 2022 01:35pm
🔥🔥🔥
Go Back To Legit Dueling Topic List
Prev134567Next
Add Reply New Topic