d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Diablo II > Diablo 2 Discussion > Low Level Dueling > Gobb's Guide To The Lvl30 Charger
12311Next
Add Reply New Topic
Gold: 5,016.01
Oct 12 2009 02:48am
Gobb's Guide to the lvl30 Charger

The only char I’ve really felt I finished is my charger so I figured I’d write a guide. The charger is a very fun character to play that can do pretty well vs anything if played right.

Layout:
Stats.
Skills.
Equipment.
Charms.
Strategy.

Stats:
Pretty standard.
Strength: Enough to wear items.
Dexterity: Enough for max block after holy shield.
Vitality: Remaining stats.
Energy: none

Skills:
Assuming you get a full grush you should have 41 skills to work with. There are a few ways you can skill your charger.
There are the following ways each with their own benefits:

Max damage/attack rating output:
Combat Skills:
1 in smite (Prereq)
19 in Charge
20 in might (synergy and active aura)
1 in blessed aim (every point in blessed aim gives 5% bonus to ar at all times) - ONLY if you have a holy shield scepter.
1 in holy shield –You will have to skill this if you don’t have a holy shield scepter to prebuff, but I never skill it.

Lower damage/attack rating, more versitile:
1 in smite (Prereq)
19 in Charge
1 in Prayer (prereq)
1 in cleansing
1 in meditation
17 -18 in might (synergy and active aura)
1 in holy shield –You will ONLY have to skill this if you don’t have a holy shield scepter to prebuff, but I never skill it.
This build gives slightly lower damage, but you have the benefit of being able to use med when low on mana and switching to insight isn’t an option due to no block. Cleansing can also be beneficial vs poison chars (poison jav/poison nova etc) due to cleansing reducing poison duration.

Equipment:

Helm – Peasant crown socketed with a max damage jewel will be the best choice unless you have a 2Pcomb/60life/60+ mana/2os circlet which is very unlikely.

Weapon – Honor naga (preferably ethereal) when using spirit or Bonesnap.
And
Insight Partizan. Preferably with 6 critical strike and 17med. - Insight has too many nice mods to ignore: Huge ar increase, critical strike, and meditation.
And/or
Ethereal upped bonesnap - Offers huge damage but your ar takes a big hit, you lose med and you lose crit or you have to wear peace. I tend to charge around a lot so I prefer the med from insight. If you somehow have a huge mana pool, this option will 1hit a lot of duelers.

Armor – Peace runeword. - Only source of critical strike when not using insight.
and
80life/45max/45res armor. - Use this when using insight.

Shield - 65ed/1xxar Spirit crown shield. - This is the only option in my opinion, you gain skills, res, massive life and much needed mana.

Boots – Sanders. - Huge stat saver, and big ar boost.
or
Goblin Toes - I don’t recommend it personally but you could also use goblin toes for crushing blow, however your life and ar will take a big hit.

Gloves – IK Gloves. - Huge stat saver.

Belt – String of Ears - I always wear it, 15mdr/%dr is very helpful.

Amulet – 2Pcomb/life/mana/mods - 2Pcomb will add more damage and ar than 1Pally. You will also be wanting all the mana you can get.
Angelic (not recommended) - You won’t be needing ar too badly but if you’re going low budget go for the ammy & ring combo.

Ring(s) – 90+ar/70+mana/str and/or dex and/or life.
And
Angelic (if you used the ammy)

Stash – Death sash (cbf), holy shield scepter, 20life 3os helm with 15max/15res jewels.

Charms:
40x 3/xxar/10-15life sc’s
Or if you’re on a budget: 10x 10max/xxar/life GC’s and 10x 3/xxar/10-15life sc’s
You’ll probably want some life/res charms in the stash too.

Strategy against common builds:

Vs Fireball – Use insight and 80life armor. Stay constantly on the move and try to avoid getting hit. Try to hit and charge quickly away so they can’t fb you to death then sweep back in and repeat, 2 hits should take out most, or 1 crit. If the dueler knows what they’re doing this can be one of the harder duels.

Vs Blizzard - Use insight, death sash for cbf, and 80life armor, you could also throw on your 20life/45max/45res helm and/or res sc’s to cancel out cold mastery. If your opponent is using spirit they will probably have 9-10 in cold mastery meaning you need 135-140 cold resist to retain max resists. If they are using an orb they could have up to 13 in cold mastery meaning you may need up to 155 cold res. Again you will want to stay constantly on the move and try to avoid getting hit, 2 hits should take out most, or 1 crit. I generally find this an easier duel than fireballers.

Vs Lightning – I havent faced many light sorc’s but they tend to be a similar duel to fbers just with lower damage. Shouldn’t be to hard.

Vs Necro’s – Use insight and 80life armor. This can be a tough duel as well placed couple bone walls leave you with only one angle to charge in from. If the necro is bm and he completely walls himself prisons you then you’re screwed. Stay constantly on the move and if you are being trailed by bone spirits you
have the ability to outrun them. Try to hit and charge quickly away, hope for a good crit. I’d probably say this is tied with whirlwind for hardest matchup as they also have bone armor on there side.

Vs Wind Druids - Use insight and 80life armor. Try to take out there oak to start. Unfortunately if they have a good minion stack they can be hard to hit. Charge in and charge quickly away so they can’t nado you to death then sweep back in and repeat. If they don’t have wolves they’re easy, otherwise they can be a little more challenging to hit.

Vs Fury/Zeal/Conc (any melee) – Wear Peace, spirit, honor, and always walk. You shouldn’t have much trouble, charge in, walk out, charge in etc. If the Zealer has charge the duel is a little harder as they will charge in at you if you walk away and try not to give you enough distance to charge.

Vs Fireclaw druids - Wear Peace, spirit, honor, and always walk. Make sure you have 75% fire res, other than that treat them the same as melee.

Vs Smiter – Use insight for range, hope they don’t charge you and if they do just switch to honor/spirit. Don’t let them corner you up against anything. If the smiter charge’s a lot the duel is a little harder as they will charge in at you if you walk away and try not to give you enough distance to charge back.

Vs Whirlwind - Wear Peace, spirit, honor, and always walk. Keep your distance and only charge between the ww’s, this is difficult to do as the barb will try to always ww. If you can time your charges well, you can win but due to high life it may take several hits. One of the hardest matchups.

Vs Warcry barbs - Wear Peace, spirit, honor, and always walk. Warcry can actually be blocked so you should have an easy time as they shouldn’t fhr lock you.

Vs Bowzons - Wear Peace, spirit, honor,and always walk. They will probably just keep the javs up if you stay close the whole duel. Shouldn’t be too hard, you could try to act a little defensive and see if they’ll pull out the bow.

Vs CS Zons – If they are pure CS you can use insight and 80life armor, they can have deadly damage so taking them out in fewer hits is always good. Act very offensive. Make sure you max res of course. If they aren’t pure CS you can wear Peace, spirit, honor, and your 20life/45max/45res helm (if you’re low on res).

Vs Kicksins - Wear Peace, spirit, honor,and always walk. They will try to dragon flight onto you and not give you any distance. Do your best to make some distance, they will have low life so 1 or two hits should take them out. This can be a difficult duel if they play offensively.

Vs Trappers - Wear Peace, spirit, and honor. You will need the FHR to recover from mb. This can be a difficult duel without the fhr. You will have to act very offensively.

Vs Hammerdins - Use insight and 80life armor, if they charge you switch to Spirit/honor. Make sure to always stay below them. Charge up, charge back down, repeat. Medium difficulty.

Vs Chargers – May the best man win. ;)

Here are my two main setups for anyone interested:

Honor/Spirit/peace:

Insight/80life lp:

Hopefully my guide helps somebody, lmk if I forgot something.
Feel free to pm me with any questions or post here.

This post was edited by gobb on Oct 12 2009 03:02am
Gold: 9.10
Warn: 90%
Oct 12 2009 03:35am
maybe i try this^^
Gold: 0.00
Oct 12 2009 03:37am
sharko
Oct 12 2009 03:48am
is fhr a problem when using insight/lp?

and what do you use on switch?

This post was edited by DImported on Oct 12 2009 04:02am
Gold: 30.10
Oct 12 2009 08:40am
Quote (DImported @ Mon, Oct 12 2009, 10:48am)
is fhr a problem when using insight/lp?

and what do you use on switch?

most likely insight (on both setups)

This post was edited by Dwerfs on Oct 12 2009 08:41am
Gold: 3.00
Oct 12 2009 09:08am
you forgot shark setup n4p but vn1 guide
Warn: 10%
Oct 12 2009 10:09am
Good job bro.
Gold: Locked
Warn: 20%
Oct 12 2009 10:22am
vs windy & nec:

windy: use foh to kill summons / nec: use foh to destroy walls - else you get stuck too easily.
joost did this very well against me.

oh and:

Vs Hammerdins - Use insight and 80life armor, if they charge you switch to Spirit/honor. Make sure to always stay below them. Charge up, charge back down, repeat. Medium difficulty.

have you ever duelled a real lamedong? even my 500 fg hammer was never beaten by xxk fg chargers with good players on them.

This post was edited by Perserker[PvP] on Oct 12 2009 10:24am
Gold: 825.65
Oct 12 2009 10:36am
Quote (Perserker[PvP] @ Mon, Oct 12 2009, 04:22pm)
have you ever duelled a real lamedong? even my 500 fg hammer was never beaten by xxk fg chargers with good players on them.

id agree.
A charger has a chance to kill anything, of course, but an offensive faggotdonk is easily one of its toughest duels.

This post was edited by Ass_Hat on Oct 12 2009 10:37am
Gold: 40.00
Oct 12 2009 12:08pm
Vs Bowzons - Wear Peace, spirit, honor,and always walk. They will probably just keep the javs up if you stay close the whole duel. Shouldn’t be too hard, you could try to act a little defensive and see if they’ll pull out the bow.

try vs nl bowa and you'd change mind

This post was edited by IAmAsylum on Oct 12 2009 12:08pm
Go Back To Low Level Dueling Topic List
12311Next
Add Reply New Topic