d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > Computers & IT > Programming & Development > Make Me A Better Programmer - From Step 1
Prev1434445464756Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 9,039.20
Oct 6 2014 11:09am
Quote (AbDuCt @ Oct 6 2014 10:55am)
The facts are of your own making. There's no peer review on them lol. Go find some relevant information where others coincide with your facts with numbers and come back.

And the using of the language was directly related to your opinion that python is popular because "its so easy women can code in it" where ruby is just as or easier to dev in.

Stats are clear as day, Ruby has less users, less submissions, less activity overall.

Python is more widely used and accessible to average curious nerds.

Ruby is a niche language, I even knew about it long before I even heard of Python, but anyone who's paying any attention can see the community behind it doesn't compare to Python.

It is in its death throws.

Gold: 7.41
Oct 6 2014 11:39am
Quote (killg0re @ Oct 6 2014 12:09pm)
Stats are clear as day, Ruby has less users, less submissions, less activity overall.

Python is more widely used and accessible to average curious nerds.

Ruby is a niche language, I even knew about it long before I even heard of Python, but anyone who's paying any attention can see the community behind it doesn't compare to Python.

It is in its death throws.

Ugh. You're a troll. And I hate to feed you, but I also feel obligated to dispell he misinformation you are spreading.

http://www.google.com/trends/explore#q=ruby%2C%20python&cmpt=q

That is a naive comparison of the popularity of the two Google search terms: ruby and python

It is naive because the searches don't necessarily mean they were looking for programming languages. In fact, if you check the common searches for python the top contender are Monty python skits or info on the snake itself. However, ruby search's #1 was the programming language.

Now what is interesting is that although each language is not as popular as it was in its peak, the search results show that interest is still being shown in a steady rate for both languages.

Why are you saying these languages, specifically ruby, are dying? People are still as interested as ever in them.
Oct 6 2014 12:54pm
Quote (Minkomonster @ Oct 6 2014 11:39am)
Ugh. You're a troll. And I hate to feed you, but I also feel obligated to dispell he misinformation you are spreading.

http://www.google.com/trends/explore#q=rubypython&cmpt=q

That is a naive comparison of the popularity of the two Google search terms: ruby and python

It is naive because the searches don't necessarily mean they were looking for programming languages. In fact, if you check the common searches for python the top contender are Monty python skits or info on the snake itself. However, ruby search's #1 was the programming language.

Now what is interesting is that although each language is not as popular as it was in its peak, the search results show that interest is still being shown in a steady rate for both languages.

Why are you saying these languages, specifically ruby, are dying? People are still as interested as ever in them.

Python and Ruby both are mature languages past their peak, at least in their original versions, however Ruby has stagnated from its hype a few years ago. Python has some potential to re-surge because it has a bigger backing, though Guido moving from Google to Dropbox has hurt a bit. Ruby is much worse off than Python is because it is a smaller niche language used primarily with Rails and by web monkeys, apart from abduct I've never seen anyone champion Ruby that wasn't also a Rails hipster. I'm not trolling about this, I think Ruby is in trouble without some serious overhauls to the language, standards, and focus on its future.

I see Ruby's base as being 1/3rd the size of Python, based on analysis of Github, subscriptions in popular boards for each, user activity, and who's actually using these languages.

My link posted earlier shows this, even counting subscriptions to /r/Ruby & /r/Python show an edge for snakefags, the popularity for Python over Ruby cannot be disputed. Python has a much brighter future than Ruby as well, considering it's backing and more actively engaged community. I may not know Ruby personally but I follow the programming politics and can recognize obvious trends, especially in the last few years and that has been mostly from lurking tech boards (/g/, reddit, etc.). After this conversation though, some additional searches, and information I found within the last few hours, I am even more sure about Ruby being in a much worse position than I was speculating on before.

In 10-15 years we can only hope that both of these will be considered deprecated languages and people will have moved on, maybe to something better and functional. λ :lol:
Gold: 0.00
Warn: 20%
Oct 6 2014 01:59pm
Hi I'm killg0re. I do searches to base my facts on but don't post these articles and dont cite sources to present truth behind my facts.

This post was edited by AbDuCt on Oct 6 2014 01:59pm
Oct 6 2014 07:58pm
Quote (AbDuCt @ Oct 6 2014 01:59pm)
Hi I'm killg0re. I do searches to base my facts on but don't post these articles and dont cite sources to present truth behind my facts.

Python has a larger base and community than Ruby.

:cry:
Gold: 20.00
Oct 8 2014 03:46pm
Interview this Friday for the web dev place.

Gotta psyche myself up.
Oct 8 2014 04:11pm
Quote (Eep @ Oct 8 2014 05:46pm)
Interview this Friday for the web dev place.

Gotta psyche myself up.

Tell them you know abduct. Instant hire.
Gold: 481.00
Oct 9 2014 07:15am
If you want to be a successful web developer the only options for large business' are c# and mvc5
Oct 9 2014 11:06am
Quote (t9x @ Oct 9 2014 09:15am)
If you want to be a successful web developer the only options for large business' are c# and mvc5

This was supposed to be a joke right?

This post was edited by AbDuCt on Oct 9 2014 11:06am
Gold: 3,804.50
Oct 9 2014 05:15pm
Quote (AbDuCt @ Oct 9 2014 01:06pm)
This was supposed to be a joke right?

i was half expecting him to follow up with "By the way, I happen to train people in C# and MVC5 at affordable rates. I even offer certifications you can put on your resume!"
Go Back To Programming & Development Topic List
Prev1434445464756Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll