d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > Computers & IT > Programming & Development > Make Me A Better Programmer - From Step 1
Prev1424344454656Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 9,039.20
Oct 5 2014 05:10am
Quote (AbDuCt @ Oct 5 2014 12:29am)
I'd say almost as popular as python. There is lots of big name application's crested with it and its constantly being updated. It's a bit rough around the edges but it adds charm ya kno.

Anyways I didn't learn it as a popularity  thing. I wanted a CLI scripting language which had an extensive core that was cross platform and I disliked pythons static typing so ruby was the other choose. For small scripts to mid sized projects I love ruby but if I needed any thing serious done I'd just work in c.

I must say being about to pound out proof of concept code for different theories in little time is a plus but that can Elbe said with any language you're proficient in.

Not even close, lol
Gold: 0.00
Warn: 20%
Oct 5 2014 12:52pm
Quote (killg0re @ Oct 5 2014 07:10am)
Not even close, lol

Python is generally more widely used than Ruby, according to most measures, but in the wake of the rising popularity of the Ruby on Rails Web application development framework Ruby's popularity too has seen rapid growth. Currently, on github , Ruby (14%) is only second to Javascript (21%) in popularity, followed by Python (8%). However looking at Sourceforge.net having more projects than github, Python has 15,713 compared to Ruby's 2,007 (as of 29SEP2013). This is mainly due[citation needed] to ruby having its own rubygems.org location for projects; Python has its own package index at pypi.python.org. In recent years, the number of books pertaining to either of the languages has been rapidly increasing[citation needed]. There are now dozens of books on Ruby and on Python.

I'm sure it's pretty close by now. If I was asked that question a few years ago I would of said the same thing. Now the question of which one has package support, now that is a good question. I noticed python packages actually use their unit tests so you don't download broken packages. Ruby has been getting better with it, but yea... people seem to be lazy.

This post was edited by AbDuCt on Oct 5 2014 12:53pm
Gold: 7.41
Oct 5 2014 05:46pm
Quote (AbDuCt @ Oct 5 2014 01:52pm)
I'm sure it's pretty close by now. If I was asked that question a few years ago I would of said the same thing. Now the question of which one has package support, now that is a good question. I noticed python packages actually use their unit tests so you don't download broken packages. Ruby has been getting better with it, but yea... people seem to be lazy.

It feels good to clobber a know-nothing with facts doesn't it? I am still not sure what he was intending to prove by his uninformed comment.
Oct 5 2014 08:17pm
Quote (Minkomonster @ Oct 5 2014 07:46pm)
It feels good to clobber a know-nothing with facts doesn't it? I am still not sure what he was intending to prove by his uninformed comment.

Makes my dick hard.
Oct 6 2014 01:59am
Quote (Minkomonster @ Oct 5 2014 05:46pm)

Python is more widely used and known than Ruby, it isn't even an argument really just a restatement of commonly known facts.

Quote (AbDuCt @ Oct 5 2014 12:52pm)

Ruby has been on a decline once RoR was realized to be nothing more than pretty hype, it probably peaked in 2008 or so, now it is only used by RoR hipster web monkeys and the random weeaboo. It isn't declining like Perl is, but it is getting there.

http://langpop.corger.nl/

Meanwhile, Python continues to grow steadily. Reasons being, it is commonly taught in major Universities as babby's first language, easy to read/write, and even women can program in it.

Practically perfect language.

Gold: 7.41
Oct 6 2014 02:33am
Quote (killg0re @ Oct 6 2014 02:59am)
Python is more widely used and known than Ruby, it isn't even an argument really just a restatement of commonly known facts.

Ruby has been on a decline once RoR was realized to be nothing more than pretty hype, it probably peaked in 2008 or so, now it is only used by RoR hipster web monkeys and the random weeaboo. It isn't declining like Perl is, but it is getting there.

http://langpop.corger.nl/

Meanwhile, Python continues to grow steadily. Reasons being, it is commonly taught in major Universities as babby's first language, easy to read/write, and even women can program in it.

Practically perfect language.

I've been reading your posts for the last year and I had originally just wrote you off as some wannabe who aimed to sound smart on these boards to fuel your ego, since you couldn't do it among your inner circle because you were the weak link. But now I am seeing that you are nothing more than a degenerate troll. Well played, getting me all this time. No more though. I'm onto you now.

This post was edited by Minkomonster on Oct 6 2014 02:37am
Oct 6 2014 03:19am
Quote (Minkomonster @ Oct 6 2014 02:33am)
I've been reading your posts for the last year and I had originally just wrote you off as some wannabe who aimed to sound smart on these boards to fuel your ego, since you couldn't do it among your inner circle because you were the weak link. But now I am seeing that you are nothing more than a degenerate troll. Well played, getting me all this time. No more though. I'm onto you now.

I'm here to stir the pot, sure, but I have no trouble admitting i'm a novice when it comes to programming particularly.

You don't need to be a programming god to observe that Ruby, as a sub-par scripting language, is in decline.

Oct 6 2014 08:06am
Quote (killg0re @ Oct 6 2014 05:19am)
I'm here to stir the pot, sure, but I have no trouble admitting i'm a novice when it comes to programming particularly.

You don't need to be a programming god to observe that Ruby, as a sub-par scripting language, is in decline.

https://i.imgur.com/ewoT0YM.jpg

All you've provided is your opinion so far. And as someone who hasn't used both languages you sure make a lot of judgemental comparisons.

This post was edited by AbDuCt on Oct 6 2014 08:13am
Oct 6 2014 09:40am
Quote (AbDuCt @ Oct 6 2014 08:06am)
All you've provided is your opinion so far. And as someone who hasn't used both languages you sure make a lot of judgemental comparisons.

I've provided the facts, sure they're mixed in with my opinions on Ruby's decline as a language after the RoR hype has died down some, but it doesn't matter in this case as using a language isn't a requirement to observing its fall.

judgmental*

Oct 6 2014 10:55am
Quote (killg0re @ Oct 6 2014 11:40am)
I've provided the facts, sure they're mixed in with my opinions on Ruby's decline as a language after the RoR hype has died down some, but it doesn't matter in this case as using a language isn't a requirement to observing its fall.

judgmental*

The facts are of your own making. There's no peer review on them lol. Go find some relevant information where others coincide with your facts with numbers and come back.

And the using of the language was directly related to your opinion that python is popular because "its so easy women can code in it" where ruby is just as or easier to dev in.

This post was edited by AbDuCt on Oct 6 2014 10:56am
Go Back To Programming & Development Topic List
Prev1424344454656Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll