d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > Computers & IT > Programming & Development > Make Me A Better Programmer - From Step 1
Prev1272829303156Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 1,795.00
Nov 28 2013 12:14am
Quote (Eep @ Nov 26 2013 01:19pm)
got my laptop today, thing is a beast

16 gigs of ram and an i7 q740 iirc

not sure what the gpu is

typical setup stuff today - was only there 3 hours. Learning about their inner network (using lync) and getting accustomed to some other stuff like making time cards etc.

Got myself the "Pro ASP.NET 4.5 in C#" book to read over the break and start breaking into that shit as well.

Think I am going to grab VS 2012 off my dreamspark account since I don't have access to my MSDN thing at work yet.

Very interesting place. Devs are often out contracting to other businesses and only a handful are at the home base at any given time.

Lucky duck, does it have a ssd? I only have 8gb of ram with an i7 but my battery life is phenomenal so I got that going for me which is nice.

I've been considering learning .net but after troubleshooting these guys sites it's such a pain to work with. Unlike asp you gotta recompile to refresh the page or change Web config file to recompile. Then you got your mvc that's hard to understand since you got your c#/vb backend and only the aspx file is shown. Good setup, better than PHP, but less resources and you have to make a lot less mistakes to be proficient with it. Only my two cents though.
Gold: 3,804.50
Nov 28 2013 12:25am
Quote (0n35 @ Nov 28 2013 01:14am)
Unlike asp you gotta recompile to refresh the page or change Web config file to recompile.

@ bolded what do you mean? and in general, you gotta recompile your changes if it's a compiled language (unlike asp's vbscript). that's pretty much a standard everywhere. even if it's not compiled (eg: python), you still gotta redeploy. and compiling typically doesn't take long regardless.

Then you got your mvc that's hard to understand since you got your c#/vb backend and only the aspx file is shown.

imo that makes it much easier to understand. it's nice to put the asp prefixed controls in the aspx page as opposed to filling up the aspx with business logic. you get all your page events and you can debug into it which is nice. compiled languages are nice because the compiler will bitch at you if you screw up syntax. iirc from php, you had to actually run the page to see if there was a syntax error. i think you're just too set in your ways :P
Gold: 20.00
Nov 28 2013 11:08pm
Quote (0n35 @ Nov 28 2013 01:14am)
Lucky duck, does it have a ssd? I only have 8gb of ram with an i7 but my battery life is phenomenal so I got that going for me which is nice.

I've been considering learning .net but after troubleshooting these guys sites it's such a pain to work with. Unlike asp you gotta recompile to refresh the page or change Web config file to recompile. Then you got your mvc that's hard to understand since you got your c#/vb backend and only the aspx file is shown. Good setup, better than PHP, but less resources and you have to make a lot less mistakes to be proficient with it. Only my two cents though.

didn't check the HD type but it was zooming like it had an SSD so I would assume so.

TBH web development is kind of a murky area for me, as I am basically a beginner in it (I know the basic stuff for js/php/sql, lol). This internship will be a good way for me to just dive head first into this kind of work and hack away at it until I get some what proficient.

As far as .NET is concerned, seems like there will be quite a few things to get used to. At least VS 2013 looks kinda cool. + custom themes!

I am just happy to be moving forward with my career path.
Gold: 1,795.00
Nov 29 2013 10:21pm
Quote (Eep @ Nov 28 2013 11:08pm)
didn't check the HD type but it was zooming like it had an SSD so I would assume so.

TBH web development is kind of a murky area for me, as I am basically a beginner in it (I know the basic stuff for js/php/sql, lol). This internship will be a good way for me to just dive head first into this kind of work and hack away at it until I get some what proficient.

As far as .NET is concerned, seems like there will be quite a few things to get used to. At least VS 2013 looks kinda cool. + custom themes!

I am just happy to be moving forward with my career path.

Definitely understand, I have to agree with VS, one of the prettier workstations out there :wub:
Dec 4 2013 07:27pm
not much news, wrapping up the semester

discussed dynamic programming a little in algorithms to finish up. Did a variety of the knapsack problem.

Also covered basic hash tables and hash functions with separate chaining and open addressing? (IIRC) methods of dealing with collision.

We also finished talking about 2-3-4 and RBT's. Really cool stuff but I imagine implementing them is a bit tricky to do by scratch.

Basically the class I was interested in the most, lol. The x86 assembly course was also a favorite but the 2nd half focused almost purely on windows programming stuff.
Dec 4 2013 07:39pm
Quote (Eep @ Dec 4 2013 08:27pm)
not much news, wrapping up the semester

discussed dynamic programming a little in algorithms to finish up. Did a variety of the knapsack problem.

Also covered basic hash tables and hash functions with separate chaining and open addressing? (IIRC) methods of dealing with collision.

We also finished talking about 2-3-4 and RBT's. Really cool stuff but I imagine implementing them is a bit tricky to do by scratch.

Basically the class I was interested in the most, lol. The x86 assembly course was also a favorite but the 2nd half focused almost purely on windows programming stuff.

JSP is giving you the assignment to write your own 2-3-4 RBT from scratch. pick a language you don't know yet to make things fiesty.
Dec 4 2013 07:42pm
Quote (carteblanche @ Dec 4 2013 08:39pm)
JSP is giving you the assignment to write your own 2-3-4 RBT from scratch. pick a language you don't know yet to make things fiesty.

ugh. My final in one of my classes is purely over scheme/prolog...and we never had any assignments to practice with them.

I am not the biggest fan of those paradigms.
Dec 4 2013 08:24pm
Quote (Eep @ Dec 4 2013 08:42pm)
ugh. My final in one of my classes is purely over scheme/prolog...and we never had any assignments to practice with them.

I am not the biggest fan of those paradigms.

you dont need a teacher to give you assignments dude....check MIT's open courseware or other sites. or just do it yourself.

eg: write fibbonacci using scheme.
Dec 4 2013 08:27pm
Quote (carteblanche @ Dec 4 2013 09:24pm)
you dont need a teacher to give you assignments dude....check MIT's open courseware or other sites. or just do it yourself.

eg: write fibbonacci using scheme.

I know that, but it wasn't like a major focus of study. It was literally the last two lectures on scheme/prolog describing some syntax and a little bit about how they work.

Then the final (a week later) is tasking you to write in those languages.

So downloading the appropriate utilities to run said programs AND making them was a bit of a stretch. I don't think anyone in the class bothered to do so.

I am not terribly worried about the actual final, I just really don't like function or logic programming at the moment, lol.

Dec 24 2013 01:26pm
in other news, another straight A semester!

Learned quite a bit from algorithms and assembly. Discovered interesting topics such as BNF grammar and the runes that compose websites.

Next semester - Network Communications (low level socket stuff iirc), Database management, Software Engineering, XXXX (where XXXX is either A.I, Compilers or an independent study assuming the ol' codger responds to my emails)

learning about jquery for work atm - I had never used it before. Seems legit!

This post was edited by Eep on Dec 24 2013 01:33pm
Go Back To Programming & Development Topic List
Prev1272829303156Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll