d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > Computers & IT > Programming & Development > Make Me A Better Programmer - From Step 1
Prev1232425262756Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 20.00
Sep 16 2013 06:47pm
Quote (0n35 @ Sep 15 2013 07:21pm)
I officially hate this person more than I hate you.

+1

:/
Oct 6 2013 06:44pm
Algorithms and assembly tests coming up. Hopefully do well on algorithms, I know there is a lot of important concepts there to remember.

Just been keeping at it so far in general though. Trying to go for a low stress semester since I know my next one will be rough.

Still trying to research more stuff in my off time. Trying to learn about call stacks, MVC, vc utilities.

Learned about JSON but haven't tried using it yet. Applied for a summer internship at Boeing. Still looking for other possibilities.

All in all just trucking along. Still love CS and I haven't been caught off guard by anything....yet.
Gold: 3,804.50
Oct 6 2013 06:49pm
Learned about JSON but haven't tried using it yet.

Nothing special. look at GSON.

Oct 6 2013 06:53pm
Quote (carteblanche @ Oct 6 2013 07:49pm)
Nothing special. look at GSON.

Yeah, I heard there was a library for C# as well. My friend told me he uses that particular library (the C# one) every day in his work.
Oct 14 2013 06:54pm
Had an interview for an internship on friday. Aspect is the business. They use .net and sharepoint mostly. Position was stated to be 50% coding and 50% research which I thought was kinda cool.

Interview seemed to go pretty good, the guy had to go out of town for 2 weeks and was kinda in a rush the whole time (I applied 2 months back and just got the email on thursday and they said Friday was the only day they could interview, lol)

Hoping for the best!

In other news, doing really good this semester so far. Rocking the algorithms class with close to a 100% past the first test, which most people failed. Learning a lot of concepts and some older stuff is starting to boil down/become second nature.

Wishing my school had a functional programming course, I think it would be a really fun one to take. Worst case I just find a haskell tutorial somewhere and blast thru it.

Applied for the Boeing internship for the summer. Hoping to get that one, got a friend working there who said I could put her as a reference.

edit: also wiped win8 from my laptop and opted to get a free win7 ultimate (thanks dreamspark!) + linux mint olivia. Really digging mint. Feels so much nicer using that than windows for a coding laptop.

This post was edited by Eep on Oct 14 2013 06:56pm
Gold: 1,795.00
Oct 14 2013 07:29pm
Quote (Eep @ Oct 14 2013 07:54pm)
Had an interview for an internship on friday. Aspect is the business. They use .net and sharepoint mostly. Position was stated to be 50% coding and 50% research which I thought was kinda cool.

Interview seemed to go pretty good, the guy had to go out of town for 2 weeks and was kinda in a rush the whole time (I applied 2 months back and just got the email on thursday and they said Friday was the only day they could interview, lol)

Hoping for the best!

In other news, doing really good this semester so far. Rocking the algorithms class with close to a 100% past the first test, which most people failed. Learning a lot of concepts and some older stuff is starting to boil down/become second nature.

Wishing my school had a functional programming course, I think it would be a really fun one to take. Worst case I just find a haskell tutorial somewhere and blast thru it.

Applied for the Boeing internship for the summer. Hoping to get that one, got a friend working there who said I could put her as a reference.

edit: also wiped win8 from my laptop and opted to get a free win7 ultimate (thanks dreamspark!) + linux mint olivia. Really digging mint. Feels so much nicer using that than windows for a coding laptop.

I agree if you're using a UI for coding along with linux the overall experience is quite a bit nicer, and mint is nice if you're using lmde :blush:
Oct 24 2013 11:48am
Does anyone have an opinion on this?

Would it look good to potential employers if I made a site with just various examples of implementations of useful data structures/algorithms etc? Not necessarily part of bigger projects but just showcasing my own coding style and knowledge of them? Viewable source code etc.

I have a few that I have learned about recently that I just want to see if I can get working and I figured I might be able to kill two birds with one stone if I was also able to showcase the completed projects somewhere.
Gold: 434.84
Oct 24 2013 12:58pm
Quote (Eep @ Oct 24 2013 12:48pm)

Would it look good to potential employers if I made a site with just various examples of implementations of useful data structures/algorithms etc? Not necessarily part of bigger projects but just showcasing my own coding style and knowledge of them? Viewable source code etc.

I have a few that I have learned about recently that I just want to see if I can get working and I figured I might be able to kill two birds with one stone if I was also able to showcase the completed projects somewhere.

What year are you?
Gold: 1,795.00
Oct 24 2013 02:42pm
Quote (Eep @ Oct 24 2013 11:48am)

speaking from experience
employers care less about college degrees and more about what you learned while you were there, including internships you've done and work experience

I haven't gone to college, so all I have is work experience
the only reason I landed my job is because of a portfolio I had

it depends on where you're applying but a lot of the people who do the paper work still do just that: paper work, not browse a website
the recruiter had me send her a word doc version of my portfolio, and said most employers desire that over a web page to look over
Oct 24 2013 02:46pm
Quote (rockonkenshin @ Oct 24 2013 01:58pm)
What year are you?

senior

mostly thinking things I haven't had a chance to work with yet - priority queues, hash tables, graphs

Quote (0n35 @ Oct 24 2013 03:42pm)
speaking from experience
employers care less about college degrees and more about what you learned while you were there, including internships you've done and work experience

I haven't gone to college, so all I have is work experience
the only reason I landed my job is because of a portfolio I had

it depends on where you're applying but a lot of the people who do the paper work still do just that: paper work, not browse a website
the recruiter had me send her a word doc version of my portfolio, and said most employers desire that over a web page to look over

That makes sense. I was just curious because I browse the reddit CS pages and come across various blogs (stressing the importance of the above concepts and more) and I look at the list and feel comfortable with most of them but realized I haven't really implemented terribly many ideas yet.

I am still waiting to hear back about the .net internship and hopefully I land that one. Also got a possibly boeing one lined up in the summer and I will most likely fish for more in a week or so once I know the verdict on the .net one.

This post was edited by Eep on Oct 24 2013 02:51pm
Go Back To Programming & Development Topic List
Prev1232425262756Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll