d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > Computers & IT > Programming & Development > Make Me A Better Programmer - From Step 1
Prev1181920212256Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 10,391.00
Mar 21 2013 04:31pm
Quote (Eep @ Mar 21 2013 02:44pm)
I know this was an old post of yours but I have some questions

what did you mean in 2. Could you give an example? (I know you said not to go directly to syso but how else would you do it)

Also, where is a good resource to learn about logging (such as when/where/how to utilize it)

this might be a good start: http://www.vogella.com/articles/Logging/article.html

re:2 --

here's a simple example:

Code

public static void String formatStringForListOfNumbers(List<String> numbers) {
 StringBuilder sb = new StringBuilder();
 for (String num : numbers) {
   sb.append("======= some fancy formatting ======== \n");
   sb.append(num);
   sb.append("======= some more fancy formatting ======== \n");
 }
 return sb.toString();
}

public static void main(String[] args) {
 List<String> numbers = doSomeStuffToGetMeNumbers();
 System.out.print(formatStringForListOfNumbers(numbers);
 List<String> someMoreNumbers =  doSomeStuffToGetMeMoreNumbers();
 System.out.print(formatStringForListOfNumbers(someMoreNumbers);
}
Gold: 20.00
Mar 21 2013 07:41pm
Haha I like how you found a java specific site thanks.

Going to check it out in more depth soon.
Apr 11 2013 01:38am
*ahem*

So, I signed up for some more classes

In the summer, I am taking Network Security ( think it is a lecture but not positive if there will be a lot of coding or not )

In the fall, I am taking:

Assembly
Web Programming (Javascript and shit like that etc)
Algorithms
??? (Hoping to get into this one class but I apparently have to plead to the instructor because I am missing a req....) -- Or technical writing if I absolutely have to

I know someone said to avoid assembly, but I really am looking forward to taking it (aside from the 9:30 start time, fuck my life )

My only other option for an elective would have been advanced web programming with java, but there were 2 problems:

1 - the professfor for that class kinda sucks (not in a way where studying outside the class would help)
2 - I don't meet the reqs (missing web programming)

I think assembly will further enforce some of the things I learned in architecture, so I am not too worried about it.

Algorithms should be interesting.

The other class I wanted to get into was Programming Languages, which is a comparative study of programming languages and their syntax.

as you see, I haven't posted for help very much this semester. The java class has been pretty easy ( prof. literally assigns problems from the book instead of creating his own projects ), and the systems programming course is with that one bad prof. I mentioned above, but I like the course content a lot so I tend to do a lot of independent study on the various subjects covered.

I literally have shit grades on all the mini quizzes he gives because I cannot understand what he wants from me 99% of the time ~_~.....hoping to do good on the big test this week.

I was also taking discrete math this semester and that course went from brutally hard to very interesting. It is a pretty fun subject to dabble in (proofs, number theory etc)

anyways, that is my update since I haven't given one in awhile (for the people who care, if any)

This post was edited by Eep on Apr 11 2013 01:39am
May 7 2013 07:59pm
Got into programming languages like I had hoped.

Rounding out the semester in my systems class talking about bitwise operations, in depth make file stuff (Like rules, dynamic macros..), debugging using gdb/preprocessor directives, version maintaining using stuff like SCCS, some other random C stuff.

OOP class basically turned into a giant java tutorial....was too easy to mention

discrete math was rough but pretty rewarding, assuming I remember anything

computer architecture was cool but mostly the stuff about parallel processing/multi processing pipelining etc.

Going to try and find an internship for the summer. Really want to do a self project of getting an android app made and stuff, but I need to find a good way to go about it. The eclipse IDE just fucks with me and I don't like it, so I really don't want to use the app dev kit for that.

Need to find a better tutorial than the android one, if there exists such a thing lol.
May 7 2013 08:21pm
If you want try your hand at Android development, I highly recommend getting IntelliJ IDEA CE. It's free, has full-fledged support for the Android SDK, and is by far and away a much better experience than using Eclipse ever was...

This post was edited by irimi on May 7 2013 08:21pm
May 7 2013 08:43pm
Quote (irimi @ May 7 2013 09:21pm)
If you want try your hand at Android development, I highly recommend getting IntelliJ IDEA CE.  It's free, has full-fledged support for the Android SDK, and is by far and away a much better experience than using Eclipse ever was...

not eclipse? sign me up
Gold: 1,795.00
May 7 2013 11:20pm
If you want try your hand at Android development, I highly recommend getting IntelliJ IDEA CE.  It's free, has full-fledged support for the Android SDK, and is by far and away a much better experience than using Eclipse ever was...

developing in mono is by far my favorite
Gold: 434.84
May 8 2013 05:39am

Quoted five times to emphasis the fucking wisdom this post contains. I highly recommend plunking down the $99 for a full academic license if you are going to do web programming. It's so worth it.
May 8 2013 01:44pm
Quote (rockonkenshin @ May 8 2013 06:39am)
Quoted five times to emphasis the fucking wisdom this post contains. I highly recommend plunking down the $99 for a full academic license if you are going to do web programming. It's so worth it.

I got it last night haven't fiddled with it yet might do so this weekend

....then I deleted eclipse from the face of the earth

This post was edited by Eep on May 8 2013 01:44pm
May 8 2013 05:35pm
Eclipse really isn't that bad anymore. I'd probably be happily using it if I weren't already so used to doing things on IntelliJ.
Go Back To Programming & Development Topic List
Prev1181920212256Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll