d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > General Chat > Political & Religious Debate > How Can We Make This Forum Great Again?
1235Next
Closed New Topic New Poll
Gold: 12,730.67
May 29 2019 01:47am
It's no secret that the quality of this subforum mirrors the Trump presidency. We've had some bad eras, but this era TRULY stands out as the worst ever. Unfortunately, we have no one to blame for ourselves. We own this.

We're all guilty of trolling, making arguments in bad-faith, etc. However, some posters REALLY stand out. These posters are so extraordinarily awful that it makes you question the concept of democracy. I suggest that we self-police and ostracize the WORST posters so that they eventually go away and/or improve their posting habits. An easy way to do that is to use the post-blocking script that I whipped up.

For Firefox users, download Greasemonkey: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/greasemonkey/
For Chrome users, download Tampermonkey.

Anyway, once you have the addon, create a new script and copy the code below. I don't do front-end development so this isn't the most efficient version, but it gets the job done. Criticism, comments, and feature requests are welcome.

Code

// ==UserScript==
// @name d2sp_post_blocker
// @version 1
// @grant none
// @include https://forums.d2jsp.org/topic.php*
// @require https://ajax.googleapis.com/ajax/libs/jquery/3.4.1/jquery.min.js
// ==/UserScript==

var shitPosters = ["Ghot", "Saucisson6000"];
var quoteText = "I contribute nothing to this forum.";

for(var i=0; i<shitPosters.length; i++){
//Hide the posts
$("dl").find("a:contains("+shitPosters[i]+")").parentsUntil("form").hide();
//Hide the quotes
$(".quote1:contains("+shitPosters[i]+")").next().text(quoteText);
}

To add someone to the block list, just add them to the shitPosters array, save the script, and you're good to go.
Gold: 0.00
May 29 2019 03:00am
I mean it's probably not going to work unless we all have the same list... assuming you wouldn't be putting me on it anyway.

But then people have been largely ignoring excellence for like 2 years now and he still posts the same sad old memes. Some dingleberries will just hang off your ass hair no matter how hard you try to wipe.

I am behind this effort in principle though. Just depends who we decide we're gonna be blocking.

A better idea would maybe be to get together and pressure the admin to assign a proper mod team, with a 0 tolerance policy for breaking site rules, to this space.

But then I'm a semi-authoritarian leftist and I think you are a libertarian right? Self policing our own little anarchist state seems pretty libertarian.

This post was edited by TransTankie on May 29 2019 03:03am
Gold: 83.30
May 29 2019 03:37am
Quote (TransTankie @ May 29 2019 09:00am)
I mean it's probably not going to work unless we all have the same list... assuming you wouldn't be putting me on it anyway.

But then people have been largely ignoring excellence for like 2 years now and he still posts the same sad old memes. Some dingleberries will just hang off your ass hair no matter how hard you try to wipe.

I am behind this effort in principle though. Just depends who we decide we're gonna be blocking.

A better idea would maybe be to get together and pressure the admin to assign a proper mod team, with a 0 tolerance policy for breaking site rules, to this space.

But then I'm a semi-authoritarian leftist and I think you are a libertarian right? Self policing our own little anarchist state seems pretty libertarian.

Tcock is far from a libertarian and people are plenty capable of deciding who to block by themselves.

We've tried tons of times to get a mod team, it's pretty much impossible. Mostly because Njag doesn't have a great relationship with the regulars because of some weird reason.
Gold: 63,142.89
May 29 2019 04:16am
Quote (thundercock @ May 29 2019 03:47am)
How Can We Make This Forum Great Again?

Organized 2-person debate threads.

2 designated users debate a topic in its own thread, with explicit agreement to disregard any comments in that thread made by users who are not the designated debaters.

A sister thread is created for that conversation in which other uses can copy quotes of what the debaters said and respond however they want. The designated debaters aren't allowed to post in the sister thread.

Gold: 17,384.69
May 29 2019 04:28am
"Saucisson6000" because you hate me, you are the only troll here.
Should i remind you all the insulting posts you did ? And the amount of times you got warned for it ?

This post was edited by Saucisson6000 on May 29 2019 04:29am
Gold: 21.93
May 29 2019 04:45am
I think almost every user here is capable of providing something with some kind of value be it entertainment or actual depth, i will not bother to block any users but i will ignore trash posts.
Gold: 0.00
May 29 2019 06:37am
Quote (balrog66 @ 29 May 2019 09:37)
Tcock is far from a libertarian and people are plenty capable of deciding who to block by themselves.

We've tried tons of times to get a mod team, it's pretty much impossible. Mostly because Njag doesn't have a great relationship with the regulars because of some weird reason.

'some weird reason'

Gold: 21.93
May 29 2019 07:00am
Gold: 3,100.00
May 29 2019 07:05am
Quote (balrog66 @ May 29 2019 05:37am)

The purge.
Gold: 10,485.00
May 29 2019 07:19am

How Can We Make This Forum Great Again?

We can allow pictures with nipples, again. :D
Go Back To Political & Religious Debate Topic List
1235Next
Closed New Topic New Poll