d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > General Chat > Political & Religious Debate > The Earth Is Flat > Gods Work
Prev19596979899111Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 9,765.00
Warn: 60%
Aug 23 2016 01:54pm
Quote (Thor123422 @ Aug 23 2016 09:49am)
Basically he is saying that water vapor coming off the ocean refracts light and makes it look like the water is higher, covering the bottom of the ship. It's not an effect of a curved globe, it's an effect of the water acting like a lens.

It's total bullshit, and just shows he doesn't know how a lens works, but he tends to back off after I give him a simple experiment to disprove what he says. Last time he told me that it was caused by the binocular lenses apparently raising the water. I told him to go out on a blacktop with a basketball and test, so since he isn't going to actually take the time to do anything to confirm or refute his idea he dropped it like a hot potato.

The Human eye is just a lense, and viewing things through binoculars would only magnify this effect, the fact you dont understand it and refuse to believe it is not really surprising though.
Gold: 2,292.01
Aug 23 2016 01:54pm
...How is it that gravity holds our bodies clung to the underside of a ball earth, but yet we can easily raise our legs and arms, walk or jump and feel no such constant downward pulling force?

I know this shit has 96 pages and this is old as fuck but I couldn't not come here and appreciate the hilarity of this specific question.
Gold: 4.00
Aug 23 2016 01:57pm
Quote (card_sultan @ Aug 23 2016 03:54pm)
The Human eye is just a lense, and viewing things through binoculars would only magnify this effect, the fact you dont understand it and refuse to believe it is not really surprising though.

I'm not even talking about watching a ship through a lense or observeratory device, I mean physically sailing , they don't stop stop nor is there a random 90 degree ledge out there
Aug 23 2016 01:58pm
Quote (Thor123422 @ Aug 23 2016 09:49am)

Except refraction is nothing like fog.

If you're saying that the water vapor coming off the ocean creates a fog that obscures the bottom of the ship then you're just wrong. You can get a telescope or binoculars and see waves obscuring the bottom of the ship higher and higher as it goes out, not some kind of dense fog.

Again you misunderstand everything, i'm not saying refraction is like fog - I'm using it as an example of why it makes no sense that you would think it could work on a model in a pool.

Gold: 260.11
Aug 23 2016 02:03pm
Quote (card_sultan @ Aug 23 2016 01:58pm)
Again you misunderstand everything, i'm not saying refraction is like fog - I'm using it as an example of why it makes no sense that you would think it could work on a model in a pool.

If you're actually talking about refraction then you're just wrong. Go read any calculus based physics book and it will go over how lenses work and why you can scale them up and down.

So once again we've hit a wall where you just don't know what you're talking about and going forward would be like trying to explain a third grader calculus.

This post was edited by Thor123422 on Aug 23 2016 02:03pm
Gold: 2,504.69
Aug 23 2016 02:05pm
Quote (Thor123422 @ Aug 23 2016 01:49pm)
Basically he is saying that water vapor coming off the ocean refracts light and makes it look like the water is higher, covering the bottom of the ship. It's not an effect of a curved globe, it's an effect of the water acting like a lens.

It's total bullshit, and just shows he doesn't know how a lens works, but he tends to back off after I give him a simple experiment to disprove what he says. Last time he told me that it was caused by the binocular lenses apparently raising the water. I told him to go out on a blacktop with a basketball and test, so since he isn't going to actually take the time to do anything to confirm or refute his idea he dropped it like a hot potato.

Except refraction is nothing like fog.

If you're saying that the water vapor coming off the ocean creates a fog that obscures the bottom of the ship then you're just wrong. You can get a telescope or binoculars and see waves obscuring the bottom of the ship higher and higher as it goes out, not some kind of dense fog.

I think he's just trolling now. Like full on trolling. Every time someone challenges him to explain a phenomena his responses come across like he's making it up as he types. Constantly repeating phrases like "the eye is the lense" are my other clue.
Aug 23 2016 02:06pm
Quote (Thor123422 @ Aug 23 2016 10:03am)
If you're actually talking about refraction then you're just wrong. Go read any calculus based physics book and it will go over how lenses work and why you can scale them up and down.

So once again we've hit a wall where you just don't know what you're talking about and going forward would be like trying to explain a third grader calculus.

There you go again, holding up your bible in order to protect himself from imaginary vampires, your misunderstanding is not my fault.
Gold: 260.11
Aug 23 2016 02:07pm
Quote (thesnipa @ Aug 23 2016 02:05pm)
I think he's just trolling now. Like full on trolling. Every time someone challenges him to explain a phenomena his responses come across like he's making it up as he types. Constantly repeating phrases like "the eye is the lense" are my other clue.

I wish people remembered what trolling meant. Wasting somebody else's time isn't trolling. You're only a successful troll if you elicit a strong emotional response.

Either way I don't care. I'll give him a few +1's until I hit a level of ignorance that's not worth discussing on an internet forum. I'm trying to get up to 10 posts/day.
Aug 23 2016 02:09pm
Quote (Thor123422 @ Aug 23 2016 10:07am)
I wish people remembered what trolling meant. Wasting somebody else's time isn't trolling. You're only a successful troll if you elicit a strong emotional response.

Either way I don't care. I'll give him a few +1's until I hit a level of ignorance that's not worth discussing on an internet forum. I'm trying to get up to 10 posts/day.

not sure your ignorance can grow any more, but gl with that.
Gold: 2,504.69
Aug 23 2016 02:10pm
Quote (Thor123422 @ Aug 23 2016 02:07pm)

i have more or less the same stance, poke them for your entertainment until it gets to an obnoxious level, then walk away.

I also hate the "i made you respond" brand of trolling, but its an increasing trend IMO. I mean I get it, it used to be that only smart kids could troll, it takes a bit of cleverness to illicit a response. Then some dumb kids felt left out, WE WANT TO TROLL TOO! Ok, just keep saying things and when someone eventually responds you'll have won.
Go Back To Political & Religious Debate Topic List
Prev19596979899111Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll