d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > General Chat > Political & Religious Debate > The Belief In Science Vs God
Prev18910111220Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 152.00
Feb 4 2016 09:59am
Quote (Skinned @ Feb 4 2016 08:05am)
Good feels and happiness are two different things altogether.

What are we talking about, rubbing glands or having a good life?

All reducible to the same brain processes.
Gold: 260.11
Feb 4 2016 10:04am
Ever since I read existentialcomics and the characters had a conversation about how a person would obviously feel bad if you pumped him with happy hormones and killed his family in front of him, I've wanted to do this experiment. Take a bunch of people, tie them up, and kill their family while varying the doses of hormones you give them. I'd love to see if there's a concoction which will turn the experience into a long term happy memory.

This is, of course, completely unethical and I'm a monster for wanting to perform it.
Gold: 500.00
Feb 4 2016 10:06am
Quote (Thor123422 @ Feb 4 2016 11:04am)
Ever since I read existentialcomics and the characters had a conversation about how a person would obviously feel bad if you pumped him with happy hormones and killed his family in front of him, I've wanted to do this experiment. Take a bunch of people, tie them up, and kill their family while varying the doses of hormones you give them. I'd love to see if there's a concoction which will turn the experience into a long term happy memory.

This is, of course, completely unethical and I'm a monster for wanting to perform it.

not a monster, just an aspiring scientist ^_^

consider all the great work the nazi's did on hypothermia research

This post was edited by duffman316 on Feb 4 2016 10:07am
Gold: 7,252.72
Feb 4 2016 10:37am
Quote (Voyaging @ Feb 4 2016 08:03am)
Merely because of biology. Suffering is not a requirement for any good feelings.

...is it not a requirement for - appreciating - non-suffering ?
Gold: 152.00
Feb 4 2016 10:54am
Quote (WidowMaKer_MK @ Feb 4 2016 11:37am)
...is it not a requirement for - appreciating - non-suffering ?

As I've said before on here, I don't think so. It is not necessary to know suffering to be able to appreciate joy (and likewise, it is not necessary to ever know joy in order for suffering to be horrific).

The reason we think this way is because our brains are programmed to circumvent feeling good for too long. That's why drug dependence and tolerance exists. But there's no reason it has to be this way. If we had the necessary technology, we could mitigate the effects of these neural systems that adjust when we feel too good for too long.

We know pure bliss shows no physiological tolerance when these regulatory systems are avoided, e.g direct brain stimulation. So yes, one could fully and completely appreciate all good feelings without ever having experienced suffering.

And the key is that all positive experience, from basic pleasure to love for your family to intellectual stimulation, is modulated by the same brain operations, specifically agonism of the mu-opioid receptors in the twin hedonic hotspots of the opioid system. Meaning everything good we've ever felt is caused by just a basic brain system.

That doesn't make it any less real or genuine and if we were to artificially cause these states they wouldn't feel any less real or genuine.

Quote (Voyaging @ Feb 4 2016 10:59am)

I should restate by saying that everything good ever is reducible to the specific brain functions associated with pleasure.

This post was edited by Voyaging on Feb 4 2016 10:57am
Gold: 285.00
Feb 4 2016 11:05am
Quote (Voyaging @ Feb 4 2016 10:59am)

You can't reduce emergent properties to their individual components.
Gold: 7,252.72
Feb 4 2016 11:11am
Quote (Voyaging @ Feb 4 2016 11:54am)
As I've said before on here, I don't think so. It is not necessary to know suffering to be able to appreciate joy (and likewise, it is not necessary to ever know joy in order for suffering to be horrific).

The reason we think this way is because our brains are programmed to circumvent feeling good for too long. That's why drug dependence and tolerance exists. But there's no reason it has to be this way. If we had the necessary technology, we could mitigate the effects of these neural systems that adjust when we feel too good for too long.

We know pure bliss shows no physiological tolerance when these regulatory systems are avoided, e.g direct brain stimulation. So yes, one could fully and completely appreciate all good feelings without ever having experienced suffering.

And the key is that all positive experience, from basic pleasure to love for your family to intellectual stimulation, is modulated by the same brain operations, specifically agonism of the mu-opioid receptors in the twin hedonic hotspots of the opioid system. Meaning everything good we've ever felt is caused by just a basic brain system.

That doesn't make it any less real or genuine and if we were to artificially cause these states they wouldn't feel any less real or genuine.

I should restate by saying that everything good ever is reducible to the specific brain functions associated with pleasure.

...for the sake of discussion and reflection I will add an example . The cessation of a severe toothache leads to a sense of gratitude/relief that the pain is over . My belief is that this extrapolates onto all forms of suffering .
Gold: 2,617.52
Feb 4 2016 01:10pm
Quote (Voyaging @ Feb 4 2016 12:54pm)

Hes right, the phenomenon is called habituation and it works psychologically as well.

Suffering is necessary in the world, but only people of higher spiritual understanding that see the big picture would realize why within the scope of a lifetime. Most of us first-worlders are just far removed from any of the struggles to survive that exist.

There's also the distinction between pleasure and happiness.

Pleasure is only physiological and is related to desire, and suffering is the counterpart. Whereas happiness is a peace of mind that comes from knowing you live in balance.

This post was edited by EndlessSky on Feb 4 2016 01:11pm
Gold: 80,771.69
Feb 4 2016 10:59pm
Quote (card_sultan @ Feb 3 2016 11:39pm)
What kind of pseudo-science is that idea from :wacko:

2% brain-bodymass is factual information derived from the scientific method.
Reduce that proportion by 1.3% or more & we're back in the savannah with out the ability to philosophize.

Gold: 9,765.00
Warn: 60%
Feb 5 2016 01:18am
Quote (lodd222 @ Feb 4 2016 11:59pm)
2% brain-bodymass is factual information derived from the scientific method.
Reduce that proportion by 1.3% or more & we're back in the savannah with out the ability to philosophize.

So fatter people have bigger brains?

Science - making people smarter 1 calorie at a time.
Go Back To Political & Religious Debate Topic List
Prev18910111220Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll