d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > General Chat > Political & Religious Debate >
Poll > Trump 2016 > Trump Vs Clinton
Prev18488498508518523169Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
  Guests cannot view or vote in polls. Please register or login.
Gold: 28,296.75
Oct 4 2016 04:05pm
Quote (IceMage @ Oct 4 2016 01:57pm)

As a moderate Republican I'm thinking about voting Democrat for the presidency/senate/congress as a protest vote against my party which is unwilling to compromise. They need to be taught a lesson.

You're about the only one I know doing it

I live in a conservative area of a liberal state and the "Benghazi" "laughed at a child being raped" "health" "email" conservative crowd are balls deep still with Trump

I haven't met a pragmatic Republican is probably a decade

they exist in low numbers within cities but in the boondocks of america conservatives are still memers irl

once the older dependable meme voters die off the republicans are gonna have a tough time
Gold: 9,164.33
Oct 4 2016 04:14pm
Quote (Beowulf @ Oct 4 2016 02:05pm)
You're about the only one I know doing it

I live in a conservative area of a liberal state and the "Benghazi" "laughed at a child being raped" "health" "email" conservative crowd are balls deep still with Trump

I haven't met a pragmatic Republican is probably a decade

they exist in low numbers within cities but in the boondocks of america conservatives are still memers irl

once the older dependable meme voters die off the republicans are gonna have a tough time

those events are memes to you?

This post was edited by majorblood on Oct 4 2016 04:14pm
Gold: 22,164.69
Oct 4 2016 04:17pm
Quote (IceMage @ Oct 4 2016 08:36am)
The way I framed it isn't avoiding anything but language that would not be accepted in warrior culture. It's not incorrect to say that strong men who have mental issues because of the trauma they experienced in war should seek help. It's not in any way helpful for warriors to hear "hey, you weren't mentally strong enough to handle the traumatic experiences of war, you need to accept that you are weak and seek help". I think that your framing of it is more stigmatizing than mine is.

A 'warrior culture' is doing the stigmatization. Maybe if battle buddies were taught to as accepting of psychological trauma as they were physical trauma.
Why don't those same soldiers feel shamed by someone who takes a piece of shrapnel to the gut and gets carried away, too weak to walk?
Refusing to strip away the taboo and participating in the stigmatization of admitting psychological weakness are not effective ways to encourage those who need help to seek it
Gold: 28,296.75
Oct 4 2016 04:17pm
Quote (majorblood @ Oct 4 2016 02:14pm)
those events are memes to you?

when there is an actual meme those people float around online and irl and the one thing on Trump's side is "called a woman a name 20 years ago"

yes it's a meme to me and that isn't even addressing the individual things I listed that the memers are misinformed or just plain lying about

especially the laughing at the rape victim one
Gold: 5,016.77
Oct 4 2016 04:39pm
Quote (Goomshill @ Oct 4 2016 05:17pm)
A 'warrior culture' is doing the stigmatization. Maybe if battle buddies were taught to as accepting of psychological trauma as they were physical trauma.
Why don't those same soldiers feel shamed by someone who takes a piece of shrapnel to the gut and gets carried away, too weak to walk?
Refusing to strip away the taboo and participating in the stigmatization of admitting psychological weakness are not effective ways to encourage those who need help to seek it

That's cause the consequences of weakness in a warrior culture can be death. It's pretty easy to tell that a soldier took shrapnel and can't walk. He's physically injured. It's not so simple to tell if one of your fellow soldiers is significantly injured mentally.

I've never served and I don't think you have either, so I'm not sure how stigmatized PTSD actually is among combat veterans. I don't know why you can't understand this, but bypassing the whole strength vs weakness bullshit would be helpful for strong, proud soldiers who are suffering mental issues/injury.

Why were people decades ago trying to reframe rape victims as rape survivors? Cause it helped rape victims mentally. Labeling people who suffer PTSD as mentally weak doesn't remove the stigma and it doesn't help any victims. Being technically correct doesn't save any lives.

This post was edited by IceMage on Oct 4 2016 04:41pm
Oct 4 2016 05:06pm
Quote (IceMage @ Oct 4 2016 04:39pm)
That's cause the consequences of weakness in a warrior culture can be death. It's pretty easy to tell that a soldier took shrapnel and can't walk. He's physically injured. It's not so simple to tell if one of your fellow soldiers is significantly injured mentally.

And yet we've put into place systems for soldiers to check upon one anothers mental wellness. Not so simple, but so much more necessary.

I don't know why you can't understand this, but bypassing the whole strength vs weakness bullshit would be helpful for strong, proud soldiers who are suffering mental issues/injury.

But its not bypassing it. Its repressing it. The stigmatization still exists and makes servicemen unwilling to cop to mental issues/injury out of that same sense of pride.

Why were people decades ago trying to reframe rape victims as rape survivors? Cause it helped rape victims mentally.

Can we really point to that as a success story? "Empowering survivors" produced a culture that encouraged false rape claims and led to SJW nonsense. Rape, unlike PTSD, a criminal act, had the spotlight of its narrative taken away from the offender and placed onto the victim, how did that affect rape prosecution? It also put a lasting label onto what was once a temporal rape victim now a life-long rape survivor. Plenty of rape victims reject the label of 'survivor' because it mentally demeans them and pins on them an act that someone else committed.

Its 2016, its been decades, but whats the state of psychological health for 'survivors' of child sexual abuse, or male rape 'survivors'?

Labeling people who suffer PTSD as mentally weak doesn't remove the stigma and it doesn't help any victims. Being technically correct doesn't save any lives.

Doing anything less than tackling the stigmatization of weakness head on won't help the victims. Half-measures that tell veterans that even in accepting company and therapy its still wrong to admit weakness, rather they must twist through mental gymnastics to call something the opposite of what they know it is- thats a recipe for denial and the nagging insecurity in the back of ones head. People get better by working at it and tackling their weaknesses, not by dressing them up in euphemisms and feel-good labeling, much less when it disguises the problem and sweeps it under the rug to resurface again later.

The first step to solving any problem is to admit theres a problem, and 'empowering' battle buddies to keep a stiff upper lip to one another is a good way to have your veterans go off themselves when they're alone some night or take it out on somebody

This post was edited by Goomshill on Oct 4 2016 05:25pm
Gold: 285.00
Oct 4 2016 05:39pm
Be strong and keep it in until it festers slowly into severe mental illness.
Oct 4 2016 05:44pm
Quote (Skinned @ Oct 4 2016 05:39pm)
Be strong and keep it in until it festers slowly into severe mental illness.

Precisely
Gold: 252.29
Oct 4 2016 06:12pm
Quote (Betawulf @ Oct 4 2016 02:54pm)
a man that has never had to hunt in life, never had to make a name, never had to sacrifice, never had to truly struggle, never had to survive without being atop the net of safety he was born on wants to talk about the weaknesses of others

Do you fucking understand the stress involved in not only taking care of not only your own bit also your employee's children?

Pretty sure President Trump understands that if his company goes down, it will fucking absolutely destroy the lives of tens of thousands of workers who depend on him for a living?

This post was edited by NekoSama on Oct 4 2016 06:15pm
Gold: 0.00
Oct 4 2016 06:21pm
No he doesn't care, that's pretty obvious
Go Back To Political & Religious Debate Topic List
Prev18488498508518523169Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll