d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > General Chat > Political & Religious Debate >
Poll > Trump 2016 > Trump Vs Clinton
Prev18448458468478483169Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
  Guests cannot view or vote in polls. Please register or login.
Gold: 22,164.69
Oct 3 2016 06:11pm
Quote (Skinned @ Oct 3 2016 05:44pm)
Everybody needs more services. And it has nothing to do with being able to handle it. It is a cold and callous statement only a non vet would make. That is why the reaction was so chilly there.

Some people need treatment for PTSD. Other people don't. Trump didn't make any effort to stigmatize it, and has supported more services to treat it.
Plenty of soldiers go off to war, witness atrocities and even come under heavy fire and get wounded and go home and live happy productive lives without serious psychological problems.
Some don't.

Trump was making an argument in favor of expanding treatment for those who need the help, and you're trying to spin it as "trump coercing vets into killing themselves instead of seek treatment".

“When people come back from war and combat and they see maybe what the people in this room have seen many times over, and you’re strong and you can handle it, but a lot of people can’t handle it,” Trump said. “They see horror stories, they see events that you couldn’t see in a movie, nobody would believe it. Now we need a mental health help and medical,” Trump continued, “and it’s one of the things I think is least addressed and it’s one of the things I hear … most about when I go around and talk to the veterans.”

Theres nothing objectionable about what he said.
Gold: 1,002.00
Warn: 10%
Oct 3 2016 06:12pm
Quote (excellence @ 4 Oct 2016 01:02)
Yes all need job opportunities and a shot at the American dream. The democrat candidate said as much and said for decades their policies have not provided this and have led the US economy off track.

Others require more services. Counseling, job training, education, stress relief etc. US tax dollars should be strongly focused on these individuals- especially veterans that served in battle situations.

Some can face PTSD with no or limited support but many cant and they need as much assistance as possible for their sacrifice. Trump said as much. The implication that soldiers are weak comes from the main stream US media who despises US troops. They promoted hanoi jane after all. Hopefully Trump puts a rainbow emjoi after his message to support troops and vets in need next time.

Thankfully Trump is capable understanding mainstream media, to not fall into the same sigmas. To not depict them as weak and inspire them to seek help when they have PTSD.

Trump: Some people come back from war & can handle it, some can't"

This post was edited by Knaapie on Oct 3 2016 06:12pm
Gold: 57.00
Oct 3 2016 06:16pm
Quote (Goomshill @ 3 Oct 2016 20:11)
Some people need treatment for PTSD. Other people don't. Trump didn't make any effort to stigmatize it, and has supported more services to treat it.
Plenty of soldiers go off to war, witness atrocities and even come under heavy fire and get wounded and go home and live happy productive lives without serious psychological problems.
Some don't.

Trump was making an argument in favor of expanding treatment for those who need the help, and you're trying to spin it as "trump coercing vets into killing themselves instead of seek treatment".

objectionable because hes the (R) candidate

Quote (Knaapie @ 3 Oct 2016 20:12)
Thankfully Trump is capable understanding mainstream media, to not fall into the same sigmas. To not depict them as weak and inspire them to seek help when they have PTSD.

people are different and some deserve stronger taxpayer support for their sacrifice because theyre more negatively affected by it and no one talks about this. we slap them with a script and say good luck and they need more than that.

what a horrid candidate and message to promote.
Gold: 5,016.77
Oct 3 2016 06:19pm
Quote (Goomshill @ Oct 3 2016 07:11pm)
Some don't.

I'm completely basing this off of what I've heard from veterans, but classifying combat vets who don't experience serious PTSD as "strong" and inevitably classifying combat vets who experience PTSD as "weak" is contrary to what they have experienced. Strong men who have experienced combat come home and have psychological issues because of it.

I know Skinned served but we don't really have any regulars who are combat vets(RiskofFire isn't here consistently), but I'm guessing they would agree.
Gold: 5,016.77
Oct 3 2016 06:37pm
Watching Morning Joe highlights, and this quote about Trump stuck out to me:

"It's as if Robby Mook calls him up every morning and says "here's what I need you to do today to reinforce the notion that you're not going to have the right temperament to be president." - Mark Halperin
Gold: 285.00
Oct 3 2016 06:44pm
Quote (Goomshill @ Oct 3 2016 07:11pm)

It seems to me like he said that strong people don't need mental health services.
Gold: 22,164.69
Oct 3 2016 06:45pm
Quote (IceMage @ Oct 3 2016 06:19pm)
I'm completely basing this off of what I've heard from veterans, but classifying combat vets who don't experience serious PTSD as "strong" and inevitably classifying combat vets who experience PTSD as "weak" is contrary to what they have experienced. Strong men who have experienced combat come home and have psychological issues because of it.

Strong men who get hit by a piece of shrapnel are carried away on stretchers because they're too weak to walk, and theres no shame in it. Trump didn't put any pejorative labels onto those suffering from PTSD, he simply stated some will be psychologically strong enough and some won't, thats a dry statement of fact. The problem is the coloring of stigmatization so often perpetuated by other veterans that they don't want to admit to any weakness. When their culture is one that refuses to show weakness, they repress their suffering and bring it back with them and self destruct. When other vets try to spin PTSD as something as if it were a chance condition or contagious virus or chemical in the air, so they don't need to admit weakness, what they're doing is perpetuating that same climate. Being too proud to admit weakness is the problem, trying to apply euphemisms to it only makes it worse. It discourages veterans from confronting their psychological issues, and leads many away from seeking treatment.
Gold: 9,164.33
Oct 3 2016 06:56pm
Quote (Skinned @ Oct 3 2016 04:44pm)
It seems to me like he said that strong people don't need mental health services.

He said people who are strong enough to not need mental health services do not need mental health services.
Gold: 2,009.99
Oct 3 2016 07:13pm
Quote (Skinned @ Oct 3 2016 06:02pm)
Trump was alienating any soldier in the crowd who may be interested in receiving mental health services by implying that they would be weak if they did. Fact: multiple people he was addressing will commit suicide instead of get MH services.

Not he wasn't, you're projecting.
Gold: 28,296.75
Oct 3 2016 07:14pm
sorry for your lost trump supporters
Go Back To Political & Religious Debate Topic List
Prev18448458468478483169Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll