d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > General Chat > Political & Religious Debate > Official Joe Biden 2020 Thread
Prev18408418428438441036Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 420.69
Warn: 10%
Apr 18 2022 11:40am
Just leaving my daily

FUCK JOE BIDEN
Gold: 14,955.00
Apr 18 2022 04:32pm
Easter Bunny steps in before Joe Biden says something dumb in regards to Pakistan & Afghanistan.

https://twitter.com/craigtdillon/status/1516087819185405956
Gold: 12,730.67
Apr 18 2022 05:26pm
Quote (ofthevoid @ Apr 18 2022 03:32pm)
Easter Bunny steps in before Joe Biden says something dumb in regards to Pakistan & Afghanistan.

https://twitter.com/craigtdillon/status/1516087819185405956

Am I the only one who fucking hates the secularization of Easter?
Gold: 260.11
Apr 18 2022 05:40pm
Quote (thundercock @ Apr 18 2022 06:26pm)
Am I the only one who fucking hates the secularization of Easter?

That's capitalism. Nothing is sacred if it can make money.
Gold: 22,164.69
Apr 19 2022 06:30am
the 99.99% of the population who don't pay attention to civil engineering stuff won't have a clue wtf this is, but another grand step in the ever prolonged saga of WOTUS and the Clean Water Act:

https://www.jdsupra.com/legalnews/u-s-supreme-court-reinstates-5848628/

looks like the game of ping pong has once again been ended by the supreme court who agreed with the republican states over the federal democrats, along partisan lines.
Gold: 285.00
Apr 19 2022 06:33am
Quote (Goomshill @ Apr 19 2022 08:30am)
the 99.99% of the population who don't pay attention to civil engineering stuff won't have a clue wtf this is, but another grand step in the ever prolonged saga of WOTUS and the Clean Water Act:

https://www.jdsupra.com/legalnews/u-s-supreme-court-reinstates-5848628/

looks like the game of ping pong has once again been ended by the supreme court who agreed with the republican states over the federal democrats, along partisan lines.

Love that shadow docket activism on the bench is mainstream now. It is funny that each side is all bout it when it benefits them and super pissed when things don't work for them lol.

Nobody wants a balanced court just activists on their side because it is the easiest way to pass laws with a congress like this.

Citizens United was the first step to the de-legitimacy of the SCOTUS. Now they're another government body to roll your eyes at.

We need non-governmental solutions to our problems, not problems solved with the interests of the oligarchs in mind, which is why I'm actually libertarian and prefer direct action to solve problems, not fucking voting, which just encourages bastards.

I'm not talking shit to you Goom, you're cool, I'm just bitching about current realities.

This post was edited by Skinned on Apr 19 2022 06:37am
Apr 19 2022 06:51am
Quote (Skinned @ Apr 19 2022 07:33am)
Love that shadow docket activism on the bench is mainstream now. It is funny that each side is all bout it when it benefits them and super pissed when things don't work for them lol.

Nobody wants a balanced court just activists on their side because it is the easiest way to pass laws with a congress like this.

Citizens United was the first step to the de-legitimacy of the SCOTUS. Now they're another government body to roll your eyes at.

We need non-governmental solutions to our problems, not problems solved with the interests of the oligarchs in mind, which is why I'm actually libertarian and prefer direct action to solve problems, not fucking voting, which just encourages bastards.

I'm not talking shit to you Goom, you're cool, I'm just bitching about current realities.

Yeah but isn't it kind of hard to talk about shadow docket activist judges when one side is attempting to change the status quo by circumventing congress using executive actions and judicial orders, while the other side is just trying to preserve the status quo and original intent and letter of the law using those same tactics? I think the "activism" part implies you're trying to enact some kind of policy. And this whole very long and winding charade boils down to federal democrats trying to wrest jurisdiction over wetlands from republican state governments to enact federal regulations on them, without passing a bill in congress (where they can't). They can make good arguments about the nexus of ephemeral waterways to interstate and international waters, but those should be arguments for legislation, not courts. Policy, not fact of law. Trying to redefine 'navigable waters' to include an arroyo that I can ride a bicycle through for 364 days of a year, rings of judicial activism.

I think you're just making one big criticism of a democratic republic in general, more than just our court system. The majority of people and their representatives won't support the kind of legislation you want, so you'd prefer unilateral action without the consent of the governed. If angels were to govern men, neither external nor internal controls on government would be necessary, and if men were angels, no government would be necessary.

at any rate its a better argument when we come to something like Roe v Wade, where republicans want to be forces of chaos. But then again, that too was fundamentally judicial activism at its finest, even if its now longstanding status quo precedent.

This post was edited by Goomshill on Apr 19 2022 06:52am
Apr 19 2022 07:32am
Quote (Goomshill @ Apr 19 2022 08:51am)
Yeah but isn't it kind of hard to talk about shadow docket activist judges when one side is attempting to change the status quo by circumventing congress using executive actions and judicial orders, while the other side is just trying to preserve the status quo and original intent and letter of the law using those same tactics? I think the "activism" part implies you're trying to enact some kind of policy. And this whole very long and winding charade boils down to federal democrats trying to wrest jurisdiction over wetlands from republican state governments to enact federal regulations on them, without passing a bill in congress (where they can't). They can make good arguments about the nexus of ephemeral waterways to interstate and international waters, but those should be arguments for legislation, not courts. Policy, not fact of law. Trying to redefine 'navigable waters' to include an arroyo that I can ride a bicycle through for 364 days of a year, rings of judicial activism.
I think you're just making one big criticism of a democratic republic in general, more than just our court system. The majority of people and their representatives won't support the kind of legislation you want, so you'd prefer unilateral action without the consent of the governed. If angels were to govern men, neither external nor internal controls on government would be necessary, and if men were angels, no government would be necessary.

at any rate its a better argument when we come to something like Roe v Wade, where republicans want to be forces of chaos. But then again, that too was fundamentally judicial activism at its finest, even if its now longstanding status quo precedent.

Roe v Wade wasn't judicial activism, the court literally stated that it could not determine what has been a philosophical question for thousands of years that even the great Socrates struggled with. The opinion is that it isn't within the court's scope to define personhood, and it was a wise decision, and made abortion a private matter within the first trimester, when where is no question that the fetus isn't a human yet, scientifically. Beyond that the states can decide after 15 weeks.

You would be being an honest debater right now if you were objective but you are so lost in the weeds you can't see anything. It wasn't the liberal justices that pulled the Citizens United fiasco. I don't hold it against you, you're an ideologue and I'm a pragmatist, we're just different, and I have way less ideological commitments than you.

Not sure what the bold is addressing. I want less laws passed not more. I want less people telling me what to do, where I can go , what I can wear, etc. You're like "my flavor of authoritarian is better than yours".

Quote (Defendor @ Apr 18 2022 01:40pm)
Just leaving my daily

FUCK JOE BIDEN

Does anybody actually like Joe Biden? Election was Turd Sandwich vs Giant Douche. We need better candidates than people we wouldn't actually hire for other jobs because they're too old.

How many job applicants in their 70s are taken seriously? Yes, I'm being ageist, but human development suggests that the person a bit past their prime. And the guy we had was actually doing a bad job...he actually fucked up the recovered Obama Economy by trying to make the covid response as bad as possible. Russia would probably be halfway to Krakow by now with the US out of NATO by now lol.

This post was edited by Skinned on Apr 19 2022 07:42am
Apr 19 2022 07:49am
Quote (Skinned @ Apr 19 2022 08:32am)
Roe v Wade wasn't judicial activism, the court literally stated that it could not determine what has been a philosophical question for thousands of years that even the great Socrates struggled with. The opinion is that it isn't within the court's scope to define personhood, and it was a wise decision, and made abortion a private matter within the first trimester, when where is no question that the fetus isn't a human yet, scientifically. Beyond that the states can decide after 15 weeks.

You would be being an honest debater right now if you were objective but you are so lost in the weeds you can't see anything. It wasn't the liberal justices that pulled the Citizens United fiasco. I don't hold it against you, you're an ideologue and I'm a pragmatist, we're just different, and I have way less ideological commitments than you.

Not sure what the bold is addressing. I want less laws passed not more. I want less people telling me what to do, where I can go , what I can wear, etc. You're like "my flavor of authoritarian is better than yours".

So you're the pragmatist and I'm the ideologue. I want to work within the confines of the real world to see what change is possible and when its better to admit defeat and compromise, you prefer direct action over voting and fighting a war against impossible odds. You think we can't break bread with our enemies, that we can't negotiate our way out, that our side must not offer any concessions and hold the line to the death and expand our sphere of influence.
Maybe I just don't see where you're coming from, on that line.
Apr 19 2022 08:04am
Quote (Goomshill @ Apr 19 2022 09:49am)
So you're the pragmatist and I'm the ideologue. I want to work within the confines of the real world to see what change is possible and when its better to admit defeat and compromise, you prefer direct action over voting and fighting a war against impossible odds. You think we can't break bread with our enemies, that we can't negotiate our way out, that our side must not offer any concessions and hold the line to the death and expand our sphere of influence.
Maybe I just don't see where you're coming from, on that line.

Fighting what war? I primarily work in mental health and my primary war is against a completely broken healthcare and social welfare system that dehumanizes the people for whom I advocate and help problem solve things in their life. Most of them are their own worse enemy. I garden a lot, I have a collection of Japanese Maple Trees, and I've added a dozen weeping and upright cherry blossoms to my property. I'm an aquarist and I have added apistogramma hongsloi to my community tank and I think they're about to breed. I talk about political things I'm interested in on the internet, often playing devil's advocate and exploring positions I'm considering but just exploring with people whom I love to engage who think we're really fighting real battles here.

You definitely don't see where I'm coming from, because I'm not actually fighting a war of any sort. I want services for sure for what I spend on government. I spend a lot of government, so I have an opinion on how I want governed, which I express with a vote. Would I rather not be governed? Well it costs me several hundred dollars a week this year for federal taxes and my return was negative again so I own them another few hundred bucks. My property taxes are over $500 a month. So if I find out that my government is spending my money to harass people instead of keeping the sewers going I get the ass.

But you're on sides lol. We're not on anyone's side. The people of the Republican party don't give a fuck about you, they aren't on your side, you're not on their side as much as the Democratic party gives a fuck about me or is on my side. Voting on qualified individuals is way more important. I've voted for Kasich 2x and I will vote for Dewine unless he starts carpet bombing abortion clinics. I support Sherrod Brown and will vote for him again. I've voted for Steve Chabot multiple times for Congress district 1 Ohio because he helped me out when I was in the military, but I've voted for Steve Dreihaus the year he held that office because he was talented. I always vote mix tickets; I doubt many others here have my meritocratic voting philosophy. I'm on a political party's side as much as I'm on the side of Levi jeans and Adidas shoes or Taco Bell. Actually I'm more on the side of Taco Bell than the DNC.

This post was edited by Skinned on Apr 19 2022 08:06am
Go Back To Political & Religious Debate Topic List
Prev18408418428438441036Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll