d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > General Chat > Political & Religious Debate > The Belief In Science Vs God
Prev1789101120Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 80,771.69
Feb 4 2016 12:52am
Quote (LazyDazy @ Feb 3 2016 06:02am)
Your corpse is physical and will of course decompose when you die. So I don't reject that.
The soul is not physical and will not decompose but live on after you die.
You think that consciousness and thoughts are physical which I hope will change in the future.

Why don't you answer some of the statements in my topic regarding the existence of the universe instead of throwing mud? Or is it impossible to discuss things with you?

I've seen you reply in other topics. By the looks of it you're preaching universalism. That is against the teachings of the bible. The bible clearly states that you can't remove or add new revelations. The Book of Mormon, the Urantia book, the koran and Spiritism as you talk about is all doing this.

Soul is just an illusion created by having a brain that is 2% of our total body weight.
2% being far larger in proportion than any other animal, hence our great mental capabilities.
If you still think there is such a thing you may want to recall where it's been the last 14 billion years.

Quote (ThatAlex @ Feb 3 2016 08:36am)
These two shouldn't even be pitted against each other.

Religion is a matter of belief.

Science is a method of investigation and inquiry.

Don't forget art, philosophy, & pseudo-science that people often mistake as science!

Quote (LazyDazy @ Feb 3 2016 06:49am)
Instead of talking about zombies and dodging the questions I raised to begin with how about you answer how something can come into the existence from nothing.
Is it because you don't have any answer to the questions and the only solution is to be keyboard warriors posting gifs and other nonsense? I thought you could actually have a debate in this place.

Atoms can be in two places at the same time, care to explain that? Most people are unacquainted with those scientific findings & thus avg person will find it hard to comprehend. However we have a long history of worshipping things including the sun so it's not surprising people are still perceiving in this archaic way vs evidence based research.

This post was edited by lodd222 on Feb 4 2016 01:08am
Gold: 12.69
Feb 4 2016 12:59am
Quote (the_rest @ Feb 4 2016 12:48am)
tipical words of someone who knows little about science. not just you, but 99% of the world.

Oh? Someone who can't even spell 'typical' correctly is trying to tell me what I know and don't know. Okay. To add onto that you have no clue in the slightest what my background is. I fucking hate this site.
Gold: Locked
Trader: Scammer
Feb 4 2016 01:37am
Quote (Shakti @ 4 Feb 2016 09:59)
Oh? Someone who can't even spell 'typical' correctly is trying to tell me what I know and don't know. Okay. To add onto that you have no clue in the slightest what my background is. I fucking hate this site.

rage moar n44p
Gold: 9,765.00
Warn: 60%
Feb 4 2016 01:39am
Quote (lodd222 @ Feb 4 2016 01:52am)
Soul is just an illusion created by having a brain that is 2% of our total body weight.
2% being far larger in proportion than any other animal, hence our great mental capabilities.
If you still think there is such a thing you may want to recall where it's been the last 14 billion years.

What kind of pseudo-science is that idea from :wacko:
Gold: 152.00
Feb 4 2016 03:05am
Quote (Thor123422 @ Feb 4 2016 12:05am)
I do so love it when an observation I've made turns out to have it's own name already. It reminds me there is a hidden world of other people who actually pay attention.

Before I ever studied any philosophy, back when i was like 14 I had independently come up with both hedonism and utilitarianism, which I'm actually kind of proud of.

Just struggling over trying to figure out the meaning of life for hours every day for months led me first to understanding the primacy of consciousness (i.e. consciousness is all that really has any significance), and then to hedonism, which I more simplistically thought of as "happiness is the only thing that matters" (this was before I understood the seriousness of suffering). Then I reasoned from there that all conscious minds deserved moral weight and basically developed a rough sketch nearly identical to what I eventually learned was created by someone else a couple hundred years ago as utilitarianism.

When I discovered that utilitarianism was already a thing I was fucking shocked.

I don't think I ever did anything as cool since then.

And unsurprisingly, today I'm a hedonistic utilitarian; makes sense because I came to the same conclusion purely through reason without any exposure to the ideas or even knowing ethics was a discipline at all, so it's not a surprise I believe that ethics is a purely rational discipline with hedonistic utilitarianism being the objectively correct solution.

This post was edited by Voyaging on Feb 4 2016 03:20am
Gold: 9,765.00
Warn: 60%
Feb 4 2016 04:03am
When I was 13, I invented weightlifting.
Retired Moderator
Gold: 848.00
Trader: Trusted
Feb 4 2016 06:39am
Quote (Voyaging @ 4 Feb 2016 07:05)
Before I ever studied any philosophy, back when i was like 14 I had independently come up with both hedonism and utilitarianism, which I'm actually kind of proud of.

Just struggling over trying to figure out the meaning of life for hours every day for months led me first to understanding the primacy of consciousness (i.e. consciousness is all that really has any significance), and then to hedonism, which I more simplistically thought of as "happiness is the only thing that matters" (this was before I understood the seriousness of suffering). Then I reasoned from there that all conscious minds deserved moral weight and basically developed a rough sketch nearly identical to what I eventually learned was created by someone else a couple hundred years ago as utilitarianism.

When I discovered that utilitarianism was already a thing I was fucking shocked.

And unsurprisingly, today I'm a hedonistic utilitarian; makes sense because I came to the same conclusion purely through reason without any exposure to the ideas or even knowing ethics was a discipline at all, so it's not a surprise I believe that ethics is a purely rational discipline with hedonistic utilitarianism being the objectively correct solution.

This is the real way to reform the moral individual.
I congratulate the perfect choice for their existence. :thumbsup:
Only through moral reform is that we will have true peace. :hug:
Gold: 285.00
Feb 4 2016 06:41am
Quote (Shakti @ Feb 4 2016 01:59am)

Let the rage flow through you young one. Embrace the dark side.

Quote (Voyaging @ Feb 4 2016 04:05am)

Suffering allows lives that are tragic and noble.

The struggle alone is enough to fill a man's heart.

This post was edited by Skinned on Feb 4 2016 06:41am
Gold: 152.00
Feb 4 2016 07:03am
Quote (Skinned @ Feb 4 2016 07:41am)
Let the rage flow through you young one. Embrace the dark side.

Suffering allows lives that are tragic and noble.

The struggle alone is enough to fill a man's heart.

Merely because of biology. Suffering is not a requirement for any good feelings.
Gold: 285.00
Feb 4 2016 07:05am
Quote (Voyaging @ Feb 4 2016 08:03am)
Merely because of biology. Suffering is not a requirement for any good feelings.

Good feels and happiness are two different things altogether.

What are we talking about, rubbing glands or having a good life?
Go Back To Political & Religious Debate Topic List
Prev1789101120Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll