d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > General Chat > Political & Religious Debate > Presidential Primaries
Prev1789101113Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 5,016.77
Aug 16 2015 10:36am
Quote (Pollster @ Aug 16 2015 11:23am)
But they weren't classified at the time. That's where the herping and derping falls apart. The Benghazi Select Committee of all things was responsible for exonerating Clinton on that front because she can't reasonably be held responsible for correspondence that later gets retroactively classified. And if you think Clinton's server was less secure than Powell's private email then you're kidding yourself.

As of right now we don't have any reason to view the situations differently, especially if we're not going to take into account the fact that there was less security in Tallahassee and Austin. In the correspondence that Bush finally provided 7 years later there's an archived conversation of him discussing mobilization of the Florida ANG mere days after the 9/11 attacks. Two months later he and his LTGOV discussed deployment of the NG once again, this time involving whether or not to deploy to Crystal River's nuclear power plant specifically.

Why should these communications, if unsecure, be any different? If it's a problem then it's a problem. It can't just magically be a problem for Clinton and not other people who did the exact same thing, or worse.

This is true, but I think that just makes my point clearer. If the secretary is oblivious to whether or not the information she is sharing is deemed top secret by the intelligence community, there should be a strict standard for the way that information is shared.

I'm not defending Colin Powell, which is why I've intentionally avoided commenting on it. American government officials who are privy to incredibly sensitive information should not be allowed to conduct government business through private emails or servers.

Quote (stimpy6298 @ Aug 16 2015 11:28am)
Well since we're on the subject of Hillary I would like to take this opportunity to pledge some things

Fuck off.
Gold: 0.00
Aug 16 2015 10:36am
Quote (Pollster @ Aug 16 2015 11:31am)
I've already told you once: stop spamming this thread. Naturally I set the bar on the floor for informed discussion on this subforum. If you can't manage to not trip over that bar then you simply do not need to be posting here, as that would indicate you're not adding anything substantive to the discussion whatsoever.

There are plenty of other threads to herp and derp in.

So I can't post but you're allowed to spread lies and incoherent paragraphs around here? Totally not fair bro. I think you need to embrace your decision to stand behind Hillary even if it means that in the end her campaign will crash and burn.
Gold: 285.00
Aug 16 2015 10:46am
Quote (IceMage @ Aug 16 2015 11:36am)
This is true, but I think that just makes my point clearer. If the secretary is oblivious to whether or not the information she is sharing is deemed top secret by the intelligence community, there should be a strict standard for the way that information is shared.

I'm not defending Colin Powell, which is why I've intentionally avoided commenting on it. American government officials who are privy to incredibly sensitive information should not be allowed to conduct government business through private emails or servers.

Funny how this hasn't been an issue until Hillary Clinton. I bet every sec of state prior to her did the same thing.

This just seems like another contrived nothingburger scandal that the GOP is getting known for. They are seriously having a credibility problem. Right now, if they were to whistleblow something big that was actually happening, many people just wouldn't believe it because they're so dishonest 95% of the time otherwise for the sake of ideology.
Gold: 20.31
Aug 16 2015 10:46am
Quote (IceMage @ Aug 16 2015 09:36am)

I think the very nature of how something can be retroactively deemed classified pretty much exonerates the people who sent and received that correspondence when they did. There already exists a record that those emails were sent throughout the department to and from other official addresses. If the correspondence was actually classified at the time then that'd be a much larger issue. But this sampling in itself goes to show that if security is the issue then it should reflect concerns that involve the entire department, and not the homebrew server specifically. If regular inter-departmental correspondence was vulnerable then we're onto a whole other issue other than individual negligence.

On the last point I agree, which is why I'd have liked to see this story advance in the opposite direction. Rather than "Clinton Rules" taking over in the media, we should be having a large-scale discussion on how the technology our electeds and officials use is outdated to the point where they find a private email to be a viable alternative, or a homebrew server beyond that. Unfortunately we never get those types of discussions though, especially when they involve a Clinton.

Quote (stimpy6298 @ Aug 16 2015 09:36am)
So I can't post but you're allowed to spread lies and incoherent paragraphs around here? Totally not fair bro. I think you need to embrace your decision to stand behind Hillary even if it means that in the end her campaign will crash and burn.

There isn't any part of a single one of my posts that is a "lie." If you're dumb enough to make that charge then you better back it up substantively, rather than herping and derping.

Posting isn't the issue. Posting hurr durr bullshit and regurgitating chain email babble is. That garbage can go anywhere else. I would encourage everyone to post here so long as they can manage to not trip over the bar resting on the floor.

This post was edited by Pollster on Aug 16 2015 10:54am
Gold: 0.00
Aug 16 2015 10:59am
Okay now I see that you're mad I'll back off a little I know its going to be tough not having a viable candidate to pass the presidential torch. Great video of Carson that you posted also btw. I'm really just waiting on the democratic primary which I think is going to be next month maybe? I consider myself a Republican but I'll tell you something Jay if trump was running on the democratic side I'd be voting for him still. The game has changed in the world of politics and it's about damn time. If there would be a sanders vs trump card I wouldn't care who wins because I know both sides would try to make the most of it.

This post was edited by stimpy6298 on Aug 16 2015 11:00am
Gold: 5,016.77
Aug 16 2015 11:11am
Quote (Skinned @ Aug 16 2015 11:46am)
Funny how this hasn't been an issue until Hillary Clinton. I bet every sec of state prior to her did the same thing.

This just seems like another contrived nothingburger scandal that the GOP is getting known for. They are seriously having a credibility problem. Right now, if they were to whistleblow something big that was actually happening, many people just wouldn't believe it because they're so dishonest 95% of the time otherwise for the sake of ideology.

I wasn't following politics closely when I was 12, so I'm not sure if the Colin Powell private email was a talking point for Democrats. I'm sure it was. Both sides attack when there is an opening, and this is clearly an opening. Do you disagree with the FBI investigating?

Let's ignore the politics for a second. Should high-level government officials with access to incredibly sensitive information be allowed to use private emails/servers for official government business?

@bold: We need to have a list of cringe-worthy words that are banned on PaRD.
Aug 16 2015 11:21am
Quote (IceMage @ Aug 16 2015 10:11am)
I wasn't following politics closely when I was 12, so I'm not sure if the Colin Powell private email was a talking point for Democrats. I'm sure it was. Both sides attack when there is an opening, and this is clearly an opening. Do you disagree with the FBI investigating?

Let's ignore the politics for a second. Should high-level government officials with access to incredibly sensitive information be allowed to use private emails/servers for official government business?

@bold: We need to have a list of cringe-worthy words that are banned on PaRD.

Bold: It was not. It was the definition of a non-story. Even when Bush officials were conducting official W.H. business on private email accounts that were housed on the RNC server, and then 5+ million of them magically disappeared, it still never generated outrage like this (feigned or real). And I'm obviously not a fan of false equivalence. This isn't a "both sides attack" situation because Powell didn't face anything like this, then or now, and it doesn't have anything to do with him not being a presidential candidate. It was simply not an issue.

There should be absolutely no private email use of any kind. The entire communication infrastructure that is used, all the way down to Congressional staff, should be overhauled.
Gold: 8,933.00
Aug 16 2015 02:19pm
Quote (Pollster @ Aug 16 2015 11:00am)
That would be a problem were it actually to occur, fortunately there's absolutely no evidence of that at this point.

I have a very simple view on this: if someone acted in a problematic manner then that's an issue for everyone who acted in that manner. If it's an issue that Clinton used a homebrew server then it's an issue that Colin Powell did as well, especially considering he did so at a time when both the Internet and the department were less secure. If it's an issue that Clinton used a private email for correspondence then it's an issue for Jeb Bush, and Scott Walker, and Bobby Jindal, and Rick Perry, and so on and so forth.

People can't just laughably pretend that this is a Clinton issue if they expect to be taken seriously. It's a systemic issue both in the federal government where the technology is outdated and burdensome to use, and at the state level where governors routinely go as far as to skirt state law because they don't want some of their machinations to be archived.

Thanks for the laugh, and joining us from the alternate plane of reality you occupy.

Lol, this is the exact type of bullshit I expect from you. Had someone else written it about Team Donkey, you'd be belittling it over "false equivalencies, blah blah blah."
Gold: 9,765.00
Warn: 60%
Aug 16 2015 02:49pm
Quote (Santara @ Jun 8 2015 10:51pm)
Yes, yes, we all know that anything short of billion-dollar campaigns with legions of door-knockers, call centers, and ad execs in every CD falls far short of "substantial" in your world.

Candidates skip states all the time. It's all about maximizing your efforts and you know that.

Looks like you're doing the polling wrong then.

Rand is pretty short.
Aug 17 2015 12:12am
Quote (Santara @ Aug 16 2015 01:19pm)
Lol, this is the exact type of bullshit I expect from you. Had someone else written it about Team Donkey, you'd be belittling it over "false equivalencies, blah blah blah."

Except that the comparison wasn't a false equivalence whatsoever. Both Clinton and Powell engaged in the same practice, albeit Powell's correspondence was even less secure. Clinton and Bush (and the others mentioned engaged in the same practice, too.

We can't just pretend that this isn't the case simply because that'd be convenient for you.
Go Back To Political & Religious Debate Topic List
Prev1789101113Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll