d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > General Chat > Political & Religious Debate > Got Questions About God? > #1 Can You Really Trust The Bible?
Prev1789101178Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 0.00
Feb 5 2013 08:31pm
Quote (sylvannos @ Feb 6 2013 11:30am)
At what point do you stop though? The amount of mental gymnastics and convincing yourself that the irrational is rational goes beyond delusional into the realm of conspiracy theories. Is it so bad to just accept the contradiction and take it on faith?

What Bard said. Besides it is easy to see the surface statement and jump to conclusions but if you dig deeper and study, you will find a decent answer. When you say "just accept the contradiction" I am led to believe that you wouldn't go onto investigate the matter further.

Hence the difference between doubters and true believers.
Gold: 11,700.00
Feb 5 2013 09:22pm
Quote (CPK001 @ 6 Feb 2013 00:57)
This is what separates the doubting minds with the true believers. If something doesn't make sense the doubters will use that as an excuse and not investigate the matter further. The true believers will ask the questions to the Preachers and get a reasonable answer and keep on investigating until they get to the bottom of it and find the answer that they are looking for.
An answer that does make sense. I know of 3 people off the top of my head, no make that 4 that I can go to and ask that question. What will you be doing?

that seems right, first determine the answer you want and then look for justification :rolleyes:
Feb 5 2013 09:37pm
Quote (BardOfXiix @ Feb 5 2013 06:04pm)
You stop when you explore a variety of experts' opinions and find no satisfactory answer.

Even in this thread you say you have serious disagreements with the pastor who answered the question. It seems with the variety of religions and interpretations your expert opinions are kind of moot.

Quote (CPK001 @ Feb 5 2013 06:31pm)
What Bard said. Besides it is easy to see the surface statement and jump to conclusions but if you dig deeper and study, you will find a decent answer. When you say "just accept the contradiction" I am led to believe that you wouldn't go onto investigate the matter further.

Hence the difference between doubters and true believers.

This:

Quote (brmv @ Feb 5 2013 07:22pm)
that seems right, first determine the answer you want and then look for justification  :rolleyes:

What's being described is an attempt to rationalize the irrational, instead of just calling it what it is: taking scripture on faith.

Feb 5 2013 09:39pm
Quote (brmv @ Feb 6 2013 01:22pm)
that seems right, first determine the answer you want and then look for justification  :rolleyes:

Look for justification indeed, look for the thing to make sense out of it. If something doesn't make sense, you will go and try to make sense out of it.

unless, of course you are not one of those people who keeps on asking questions until you get the thing you want out of them.

I mean you want to know what your child did at School that day yet they are reluctant to tell you. You have to get it out of them. If something doesn't make sense you will ask them and get them to tell you until you get the full story so it does make sense.

So yeah look for justification indeed.
Feb 5 2013 10:33pm
Quote (CPK001 @ 6 Feb 2013 03:39)
Look for justification indeed, look for the thing to make sense out of it. If something doesn't make sense, you will go and try to make sense out of it.

unless, of course you are not one of those people who keeps on asking questions until you get the thing you want out of them.

I mean you want to know what your child did at School that day yet they are reluctant to tell you. You have to get it out of them. If something doesn't make sense you will ask them and get them to tell you until you get the full story so it does make sense.

So yeah look for justification indeed.

oh, if there is a problem i do continue to ask questions until the problem is solved (or it can be determined to be unsolvable [within the current means])
but the correct answer is not one which is predetermined by my wishes, it might very well be one which proves that some of my assumptions were wrong
and i do not think it is good to force something out of a child (there does seem to be lack of trust in what you describe), perhaps you also beat religion into them
Gold: 655.00
Feb 5 2013 10:41pm
Quote (sylvannos @ Feb 5 2013 10:37pm)

What's being described is an attempt to rationalize the irrational, instead of just calling it what it is: taking scripture on faith.

some of it is pretty rational though.

like the link he posted explaining the diffrence in the 2 passages.
Feb 5 2013 10:42pm
Quote (brmv @ Feb 6 2013 02:33pm)
oh, if there is a problem i do continue to ask questions until the problem is solved (or it can be determined to be unsolvable [within the current means])
but the correct answer is not one which is predetermined by my wishes, it might very well be one which proves that some of my assumptions were wrong
and i do not think it is good to force something out of a child (there does seem to be lack of trust in what you describe), perhaps you also beat religion into them

Yeah that is right. If there is a problem you do continue to ask questions. Why wouldn't you ask questions if there is a problem? That is how problems are solved, by asking questions.
Gold: Locked
Feb 5 2013 10:45pm
Quote (sylvannos @ Feb 5 2013 08:37pm)
Even in this thread you say you have serious disagreements with the pastor who answered the question. It seems with the variety of religions and interpretations your expert opinions are kind of moot.

The pastor's arguments are not logically valid. He argues almost entirely on an ad populum basis. Whether or not his conclusion is correct is something I can't speak on, but his argument is weak.
Feb 5 2013 10:54pm
Quote (Ylem122 @ 6 Feb 2013 04:41)
some of it is pretty rational though.

like the link he posted explaining the diffrence in the 2 passages.

may guess is that you can take any fantasy book which has more than (say) 10,000 words and you can find something quite rational in it if you are looking for it
this just to highlight a point, with some exceptions (scientology comes to mind) the sacred books of the various religions are not pure fantasy but contain a lot of 'journalistic' information about the time they were written in, the quality of this varies widely
Gold: 655.00
Feb 5 2013 11:02pm
Quote (brmv @ Feb 5 2013 11:54pm)
may guess is that you can take any fantasy book which has more than (say) 10,000 words and you can find something quite rational in it if you are looking for it
this just to highlight a point, with some exceptions (scientology comes to mind) the sacred books of the various religions are not pure fantasy but contain a lot of 'journalistic' information about the time they were written in, the quality of this varies widely

not really the same thing.

This post was edited by Ylem122 on Feb 5 2013 11:04pm
Go Back To Political & Religious Debate Topic List
Prev1789101178Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll