d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > General Chat > Political & Religious Debate >
Poll > How To Get To Heaven When You Die
Prev1789101179Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
  Guests cannot view or vote in polls. Please register or login.
Gold: 7,252.72
Mar 10 2012 11:44pm
Quote (Dune1 @ Mar 11 2012 12:40am)
No I didn't. Nowhere in that verse does it say "Water baptism applies only to the Jews in the crowd!" For you (or any of your bogus scholars) to say it did, is pretty poor interpretation.

And how is my question irrelevant? You are saying water baptism only applied to the Jews based on Acts2:38. I am telling you that gentiles were also baptized. Was the message Peter gave to the Jews during Pentecost? Sure. It was a mostly Jewish crowd. But they took the words from Jesus (great commission) and carried over the message from Peter (day of pentecost) and baptized the gentiles as well. So again, if the message of water baptism was only intended for the Jews.. why were the gentiles baptized in the same way?

The Great Commission was to baptize " in the name of the Father , Son and Holy Spirit " .

Acts 2 - 38 ( baptism under the name of Jesus ) was intended only for early Jewish converts .
Retired Moderator
Gold: 0.00
Trader: Trusted
Mar 10 2012 11:49pm
Quote (WidowMaKer_MK @ Mar 11 2012 01:44am)
The Great Commission was to baptize " in the name of the Father , Son and Holy Spirit " .

Acts 2 - 38 ( baptism under the name of Jesus ) was intended only for early Jewish converts .

Baptizing in the name of Jesus was to set that baptism apart from previous baptisms (John the baptist). The intent was to know who you were being baptized for and "into". We must all be baptized "into" Christ, and no other.

1 Corinthians 1:13
New American Standard Bible (NASB)
10 Now I exhort you, brethren, by the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, that you all [e]agree and that there be no [f]divisions among you, but that you be [g]made complete in the same mind and in the same judgment. 11 For I have been informed concerning you, my brethren, by Chloe’s people, that there are quarrels among you. 12 Now I mean this, that each one of you is saying, “I am of Paul,” and “I of Apollos,” and “I of Cephas,” and “I of Christ.” 13 [h]Has Christ been divided? Paul was not crucified for you, was he? Or were you baptized [i]in the name of Paul?

People were thinking being baptized in the name of someone else was ok.

I fail to see your tie from the great commission and the day of pentecost. The baptism is the same.

This post was edited by Dune1 on Mar 10 2012 11:51pm
Mar 10 2012 11:53pm
Quote (Dune1 @ Mar 11 2012 12:49am)
Baptizing in the name of Jesus was to set that baptism apart from previous baptisms (John the baptist). The intent was to know who you were being baptized for and "into".

...and again incorrect . It was an acknowledgement of their ( the Jews ) removal from a baptism under Moses and the law . Read the scholars .

Retired Moderator
Mar 10 2012 11:57pm
Quote (WidowMaKer_MK @ Mar 11 2012 01:53am)
...and again incorrect . It was an acknowledgement of their ( the Jews ) removal from a baptism under Moses and the law . Read the scholars .

I've read the scholars, and again if that's what you got from the one's you read.. you need to trash your books.

If it was to "acknowledge" their removal from the old law, why in the second half of Acts 2:38 does it say "for the forgiveness of your sins and the gift of the holy spirit"? NOWHERE in that scripture does it say that it is an acknowledgement of their "new law". In fact many Jews were still living under the traditions of the old law even after they converted to Christianity.

You also have yet to answer my question. If water baptism symbolized "acknowledgement of the new law" that you spoke of.. why were the GENTILES baptized? They weren't under the old law.

You are giving absolutely no answers. Your fall-back is "well I read it in a book somewhere". I am giving you logical (and scriptural) evidence to prove you incorrect.

This post was edited by Dune1 on Mar 10 2012 11:59pm
Gold: 2.00
Mar 11 2012 12:02am
wat?
Mar 11 2012 12:03am
Quote (Dune1 @ Mar 11 2012 12:57am)
I've read the scholars, and again if that's what you got from the one's you read.. you need to trash your books.

If it was to "acknowledge" their removal from the old law, why in the second half of Acts 2:38 does it say "for the forgiveness of your sins and the gift of the holy spirit"? NOWHERE in that scripture does it say that it is an acknowledgement of their "new law". In fact many Jews were still living under the traditions of the old law even after they converted to Christianity.

You also have yet to answer my question. If water baptism symbolized "acknowledgement of the new law" that you spoke of.. why were the GENTILES baptized? They weren't under the old law.

You are giving absolutely no answers. Your fall-back is "well I read it in a book somewhere".I am giving you logical (and scriptural) evidence to prove you incorrect.

...you are only giving your own personal interpretation ( which you admitted to earlier ) that is at odds wth serious exegesis and you keep using the same citation incorrectly which is not Scriptural evidence of anything . Do yourself a favor and run Acts 2 -38 by your pastor later today !

This post was edited by WidowMaKer_MK on Mar 11 2012 12:04am
Retired Moderator
Mar 11 2012 12:08am
Quote (WidowMaKer_MK @ Mar 11 2012 02:03am)
...you are only giving your own persoanal interpretation ( which you admitted to earlier ) that is at odds wth serious exegesis and you keep using the same citation incorrectly which is not Scriptural evidence of anything . Do yourself a favor and run Acts 2 -38 by your pastor later today !

I am the pastor ;)

Again, I have greatly out read you on the scholarly side. Please stop trying to hang that over my head. My interpretation is based on my own study as well as biblical knowledge and how one scripture relates to the other. There is no difference in the baptism the jews received, and the baptism the gentiles received. You have yet to show me the difference and keep resorting to this "I've read it somewhere" defense. I will gladly message you a vast list of respected scholars that completely differ with your interpretation.

If you have ignored the scripture references I have posted, that's the fault of yours and not mine.
Gold: 152.00
Mar 11 2012 12:12am
Quote (Dune1 @ Mar 11 2012 01:08am)
I am the pastor ;)

Again, I have greatly out read you on the scholarly side.  Please stop trying to hang that over my head.  My interpretation is based on my own study as well as biblical knowledge and how one scripture relates to the other.  There is no difference in the baptism the jews received, and the baptism the gentiles received.  You have yet to show me the difference and keep resorting to this "I've read it somewhere" defense.  I will gladly message you a vast list of respected scholars that completely differ with your interpretation.

If you have ignored the scripture references I have posted, that's the fault of yours and not mine.

Then you should listen to Widow and allow yourself a greater understanding of The Bible.
Mar 11 2012 12:13am
Quote (Dune1 @ Mar 11 2012 01:08am)
I am the pastor ;)

Again, I have greatly out read you on the scholarly side. Please stop trying to hang that over my head. My interpretation is based on my own study as well as biblical knowledge and how one scripture relates to the other. There is no difference in the baptism the jews received, and the baptism the gentiles received. You have yet to show me the difference and keep resorting to this "I've read it somewhere" defense. I will gladly message you a vast list of respected scholars that completely differ with your interpretation.

...no , you are not . You might at most be the youth pastor of some small church but you are not the leader and primary teacher and we both know it .
Retired Moderator
Mar 11 2012 12:13am
Quote (Voyaging @ Mar 11 2012 02:12am)
Then you should listen to Widow and allow yourself a greater understanding of The Bible.

You're right. Will you show me the difference in the baptism the jews received in comparison to the gentiles? I would really like to understand that difference.

Quote (WidowMaKer_MK @ Mar 11 2012 02:13am)
...no , you are not . You might at most be the youth pastor of some small church but you are not the leader and primary teacher and we both know it .

Widow I have no reason to lie to you or anyone else on a gaming forum. Especially in regards to a religious office in a mostly atheistic community. If you don't believe me, I could care less. lol.

But please for the sake of my own understanding.. explain to me the difference.

This post was edited by Dune1 on Mar 11 2012 12:17am
Go Back To Political & Religious Debate Topic List
Prev1789101179Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll