d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > General Chat > Political & Religious Debate > Existence Is Cringe.
Prev1789101116Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 4,575.69
May 9 2023 01:37pm
Quote (Handcuffs @ May 9 2023 12:30pm)
It's is intriguing to think about--makes me think of the Fermi Paradox. We're also limited to our light cone given the limitations of physics, so while theoretically infinite, the universe is experientially finite.

Agreed. One can only hope that they'd either be friendly, or at least less capable of force than we are. And, of course, I hope we'd be friendly to them.

Can I ask you something: Are you able to talk to your God?

It's also very interesting to think about, that we really don't know jack shit about things outside our solar system. We piece together information through tiny bits of very low energy radiation captured by a massive space telescope, but at the end of the day, its alot of assumptions layered on other assumptions

Same thing applies to the human brain & biology in general, we know alot but we also know next to nothing from a total perspective
Gold: 0.00
May 9 2023 01:41pm
Quote (El1te @ May 9 2023 12:34pm)
All evidence would point to them not being friendly in my opinion, sort of like finding a wild animal that is afraid of humans

Able to talk to God, no definitely not.

I have had fleeting communications with God interpreted through Jesus but not on my own will

Fascinating. I can at least comprehend that experience more than the folks who say that they have a direct relationship/communication with God.

Quote (thesnipa @ May 9 2023 12:34pm)
right, the near infinite size of the universe is not observed its the assumption of all working scientific models for how all that is came to be. we can see millions, perhaps billions, of stars under magnification. but science says this is only a TINY TINY fraction of what's out there. we've sent probes out to see further and they only moderately increase what we can see.

i'm not a physics/astronomy conspiracy theorist, but it's is humorous to think the answer to "how do we know it's infinite" is "well it has to be, or our models dont work".

It's tricky, isn't it, the idea of "infinite" as it relates to the universe. My understanding is that there's evidence that the universe is expanding (and also accelerating in that expansion) as times goes on; but, since the universe is the panacea of existence then by virtue of its continued expansion it is "infinite" so much as it is indefinite in size. It's also probably a limitation of human knowledge and technology, as the universe most certain has a size if one were to do a snapshot. It just merely continues to expand after that snapshot.
May 9 2023 01:43pm
Quote (Handcuffs @ May 9 2023 12:41pm)
Fascinating. I can at least comprehend that experience more than the folks who say that they have a direct relationship/communication with God.

It's tricky, isn't it, the idea of "infinite" as it relates to the universe. My understanding is that there's evidence that the universe is expanding (and also accelerating in that expansion) as times goes on; but, since the universe is the panacea of existence then by virtue of its continued expansion it is "infinite" so much as it is indefinite in size. It's also probably a limitation of human knowledge and technology, as the universe most certain has a size if one were to do a snapshot. It just merely continues to expand after that snapshot.

I believe that people who are very experienced in Prayer might have a better ability and clarity of mind to "communicate" with God better on a free will basis. I was never brought up in a religious family and pretty much never pray, but in my eyes what it means is to have a clarity of mind completely separated from the ego. People have described it as splitting your psyche in two which describes my experience well

This post was edited by El1te on May 9 2023 01:44pm
Gold: 2,504.69
May 9 2023 01:45pm
Quote (Handcuffs @ May 9 2023 02:41pm)

what confuses me is that the big bang is the predominate theory, and i'd assume that means the expansion should be decelerating. but as you say there's evidence it's the opposite. but perhaps that's just a tricky way to describe exponential growth of area through an increase in size from a center vector. as in is it growing faster in speed? or is the "size" number represented in 3d area going up faster because that's how it works geometrically.
May 9 2023 01:49pm
Quote (thesnipa @ May 9 2023 12:45pm)
what confuses me is that the big bang is the predominate theory, and i'd assume that means the expansion should be decelerating. but as you say there's evidence it's the opposite. but perhaps that's just a tricky way to describe exponential growth of area through an increase in size from a center vector. as in is it growing faster in speed? or is the "size" number represented in 3d area going up faster because that's how it works geometrically.

My limited understanding of physics is that evidence for an acceleration of expansion is due to red-shift in the light spectrum, as light from distant celestial bodies is increasingly stretched and shifted to 'red' the further away that celestial body is from us.

Quote (El1te @ May 9 2023 12:43pm)
I believe that people who are very experienced in Prayer might have a better ability and clarity of mind to "communicate" with God better on a free will basis. I was never brought up in a religious family and pretty much never pray, but in my eyes what it means is to have a clarity of mind completely separated from the ego. People have described it as splitting your psyche in two which describes my experience well

I find myself curious about how accessible God is to folks who claim such a relationship, and what the nature of that communication is like. I had the thought of asking two people who feel like they have such a relationship with the same God to individually ask God a question, such as "Can you give me the same 5 numbers ranging from 1 - 5,000 that you'll also give to Person B?", and if people were able to generate the same numbers, well, then that would certainly be interesting.
May 9 2023 01:57pm
Quote (Handcuffs @ May 9 2023 02:49pm)
My limited understanding of physics is that evidence for an acceleration of expansion is due to red-shift in the light spectrum, as light from distant celestial bodies is increasingly stretched and shifted to 'red' the further away that celestial body is from us.

I find myself curious about how accessible God is to folks who claim such a relationship, and what the nature of that communication is like. I had the thought of asking two people who feel like they have such a relationship with the same God to individually ask God a question, such as "Can you give me the same 5 numbers ranging from 1 - 5,000 that you'll also give to Person B?", and if people were able to generate the same numbers, well, then that would certainly be interesting.

perfect context for this sunny quote:

May 9 2023 02:00pm
Quote (Handcuffs @ May 9 2023 12:49pm)

I think that God is not as accessible as those people would describe, this is all based on my own understanding of what it means, such a quantifiable relation is in my eyes ridiculous as atheists would attest, to me a proper communication with God means to conceptualize a thought that is completely separate from yourself (your own interests, your own feelings, your own wellbeing). In this view, the legendary Greek philosophers were some of the greatest communicators with God. People forget that Christianity is largely a Hellenic religion though this is disputed (Pope Benedict strongly supported this theory as his main topic of study)
May 9 2023 02:01pm
Quote (thesnipa @ May 9 2023 12:57pm)
perfect context for this sunny quote:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CfFyo_4VAAESpeU.jpg

Astrophysics is fascinating, but also very confusing. In another lifetime I wish I could have gotten into physics.

Quote (El1te @ May 9 2023 12:37pm)
It's also very interesting to think about, that we really don't know jack shit about things outside our solar system. We piece together information through tiny bits of very low energy radiation captured by a massive space telescope, but at the end of the day, its alot of assumptions layered on other assumptions

Same thing applies to the human brain & biology in general, we know alot but we also know next to nothing from a total perspective

As someone whose degree is in Psychology, I definitely agree that we know a lot, are wrong about a lot, and have a tremendous amount more to still learn.
May 9 2023 02:13pm
Quote (Handcuffs @ May 9 2023 01:01pm)
Astrophysics is fascinating, but also very confusing. In another lifetime I wish I could have gotten into physics.

As someone whose degree is in Psychology, I definitely agree that we know a lot, are wrong about a lot, and have a tremendous amount more to still learn.

I feel that's the case for all disciplines - the more you know, the more you know that you don't know, everything is a giant rabbit hole at the end of the day
May 9 2023 02:20pm
Quote (Handcuffs @ May 9 2023 03:01pm)

i dabbled in college for my science credits, came off as far more dull than i expected. like getting into biology to be an animal handler but instead you're stuck looking at slides on a microscope all day.
Go Back To Political & Religious Debate Topic List
Prev1789101116Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll