d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > General Chat > Political & Religious Debate > Random Pard Crap
Prev1717273747589Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 14,569.69
Gold: 4,404.67
Nov 8 2021 01:26pm
Quote (theCrossbones @ 8 Nov 2021 19:33)

“We would like to warn readers to resist the temptation to draw conclusions that suit their ideological worldviews,” Saribay told PsyPost. “One must not think in terms of profiles or categories of people and also not draw simple causal conclusions as our data do not speak to causality.
[...]
Note that these relations are not so clear cut and effect sizes are small.”

I would assume that even these tiny effect sizes are caused in large part by confounders rather than actual causality. On average, low intelligence people tend to come from different families and upbringings, spend their forming years in differernt social circles, go to different schools and so on than people of higher intelligence. Do we have data on the degree to which social policy views are caused by "nurture vs nature"?

Gold: 260.11
Nov 8 2021 01:36pm
Quote (theCrossbones @ Nov 8 2021 12:33pm)

Quote (Black XistenZ @ Nov 8 2021 01:26pm)
I would assume that even these tiny effect sizes are caused in large part by confounders rather than actual causality. On average, low intelligence people tend to come from different families and upbringings, spend their forming years in differernt social circles, go to different schools and so on than people of higher intelligence. Do we have data on the degree to which social policy views are caused by "nurture vs nature"?

As much as I'd love to rail about this headline, I have to repeat, psychometrics in general is garbage.
Gold: 1,453.85
Warn: 10%
Nov 8 2021 02:45pm
Quote (NetflixAdaptationWidow @ Nov 8 2021 11:36am)
As much as I'd love to rail about this headline, I have to repeat, psychometrics in general is garbage.

Really? Why?

Also, if you think it's garbage, what would be good, reliable measures, then?
Nov 8 2021 05:04pm
Quote (Black XistenZ @ Nov 8 2021 11:26am)

So I know my experience is very stereotypical. In communist WA 😁
The city is full of highly educated motivated social nazis.
You get into the back woods and you might as well live in rural Alabama. There are always exceptions. But the vast majorities of both sides of this are so black and white. Most of small town Americans in my state don’t have teeth a HS education or a desire to have either. As long as the truck has a flag on it and a 2” lift minimum the rest of the world is “Stalin” and you couldn’t teach them otherwise if you paid them.
Nov 8 2021 05:40pm
Quote (theCrossbones @ 9 Nov 2021 00:04)
So I know my experience is very stereotypical. In communist WA 😁
The city is full of highly educated motivated social nazis.
You get into the back woods and you might as well live in rural Alabama. There are always exceptions. But the vast majorities of both sides of this are so black and white. Most of small town Americans in my state don’t have teeth a HS education or a desire to have either. As long as the truck has a flag on it and a 2” lift minimum the rest of the world is “Stalin” and you couldn’t teach them otherwise if you paid them.

That's what you get after a couple of generations when a country operates by a turbo-capitalist "get rich or die trying"-mantra and the "winners" and "losers" stop socially mixing. The literal "middle class", not just in an economic sense but also in terms of education and cultural values, has been evaporating for decades. This tendency was kept in check until roughly the 1960s or so by comparatively high rates of hypergamy, but since then, assortative mating by class/education has become far more prevalent and the predominant mating strategy. I'm not judging this trend, it is what it is.

Inb4 EndlessSky telling us that allowing women to leave the kitchen and go to college was a mistake and has ruined society. ;)
Nov 8 2021 05:54pm
Quote (Black XistenZ @ Nov 8 2021 03:40pm)
That's what you get after a couple of generations when a country operates by a turbo-capitalist "get rich or die trying"-mantra and the "winners" and "losers" stop socially mixing. The literal "middle class", not just in an economic sense but also in terms of education and cultural values, has been evaporating for decades. This tendency was kept in check until roughly the 1960s or so by comparatively high rates of hypergamy, but since then, assortative mating by class/education has become far more prevalent and the predominant mating strategy. I'm not judging this trend, it is what it is.

Inb4 EndlessSky telling us that allowing women to leave the kitchen and go to college was a mistake and has ruined society. ;)

Agreed my life perspective on this is so crazy. I will walk a job with multi million dollar designers, That are afraid of ipeople with dirt on them. To the brick mason who wants to stab me over the Co mask mandates because I’m obviously a communist. In the span of 40 minutes. And neither side will listen to 5 seconds of the other. It’s truly hard to fathom sometimes
Gold: 22,169.49
Nov 10 2021 09:02pm
Lowtax is dead
Gold: 107.77
Nov 18 2021 09:00pm
Quote (MSX98 @ 19 Nov 2021 03:52)

So much diversity, so much tolerance! :wub: :love:
Remove toxic, racist white men from the equation and we can all live in a peaceful, multicultural utopia.

This post was edited by Black XistenZ on Nov 18 2021 09:01pm
Go Back To Political & Religious Debate Topic List
Prev1717273747589Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll