d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > General Chat > Political & Religious Debate > Stephen Breyer Announces Retirement
Prev167891016Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 0.00
Jan 27 2022 12:00am
Quote (CyrusTheGreat @ Jan 26 2022 09:55pm)
I do have plenty of information on that program, as it's the same program my company uses as well and it partners with the same school I graduated from.

However, based on the lack of appreciation for the free money offered above, but rather simply a response of "why not more", it's very clear we aren't going to find common ground.

Unfortunately, Biden agrees, too, as student loan debt that one chose to assume is not being written off whether it was promised on the campaign trail as well.

I get the sense that you have a propensity to attribute intentions/meaning to other peoples' posts rather than having a genuine inquiry.
Gold: 9,900.00
Trader: Trusted
Jan 27 2022 12:04am
Quote (Handcuffs @ Jan 27 2022 01:00am)
I get the sense that you have a propensity to attribute intentions/meaning to other peoples' posts rather than having a genuine inquiry.

Well, to be fair, I can't say I understand that. I wouldn't know anyone's intentions that I do not know personally.

I simply speak from a very specific and currently unwavering point of view based on my own trials and tribulations that I have overcome in life.

My inquiries are genuine, but, just because I won't accept a shaky argument as fact doesn't mean I don't have genuine inquiries. It's OK to ask the hard questions sometimes :)

Lastly, I meant to edit my original post above, so I will copy/paste and bolden the edits I made for your ease of reference in fairness:
___

I do have plenty of information on that program, as it's the same program my company uses as well and it partners with the same school I graduated from.

However, based on the lack of appreciation for the free money offered above, but rather simply a response of "why not more", it's very clear we aren't going to find common ground.

Unfortunately, Biden agrees, too, as student loan debt that one chose to assume for a degree path that has no real-world value is not being written off whether it was promised on the campaign trail as well.

My company wasn't going to reimburse a "humanities" or "gender studies" degree path either. It was not available and rightfully so -- one is only left with crippling debt and no job prospects as a result.

This post was edited by CyrusTheGreat on Jan 27 2022 12:06am
Jan 27 2022 12:10am
Quote (CyrusTheGreat @ Jan 26 2022 10:04pm)
Well, to be fair, I can't say I understand that. I wouldn't know anyone's intentions that I do not know personally.

I simply speak from a very specific and currently unwavering point of view based on my own trials and tribulations that I have overcome in life.

My inquiries are genuine, but, just because I won't accept a shaky argument as fact doesn't mean I don't have genuine inquiries. It's OK to ask the hard questions sometimes :)

Lastly, I meant to edit my original post above, so I will copy/paste and bolden the edits I made for your ease of reference in fairness:
___

Unfortunately, Biden agrees, too, as student loan debt that one chose to assume for a degree path that has no real-world value is not being written off whether it was promised on the campaign trail as well.

My company wasn't going to reimburse a "humanities" or "gender studies" degree path either. It was not available and rightfully so -- one is only left with crippling debt and no job prospects as a result.

My previous post was getting at the fact that my point was never going to be a complaint that McDonald's program "isn't enough" or a simple "Why not more?", yet you made the conclusion that that was my point and further concluded by implication that there was no more discussion to be had as a result. Very intriguing.

This post was edited by Handcuffs on Jan 27 2022 12:10am
Jan 27 2022 12:17am
Quote (Handcuffs @ Jan 27 2022 01:10am)
My previous post was getting at the fact that my point was never going to be a complaint that McDonald's program "isn't enough" or a simple "Why not more?", yet you made the conclusion that that was my point and further concluded by implication that there was no more discussion to be had as a result. Very intriguing.

"Also, perhaps you have more information about the McDonald's program since you keep referencing it, but as far as I can find in a cursory search it seems that McDonald's has a tuition assistance program to eligible employees that amounts to $2,500/year: https://www.archwaystoopportunity.com/tuition_assistance.html";;

It was, though, as you wouldn't have referenced the dollar amount and posted a link otherwise.

The aim you were taking is that $2,500 a year is minuscule in terms of college costs, and when it comes to the far-leftist institutions you're thinking of, you're absolutely correct. They take hundreds of thousands of dollars from young, unknowing kids for degree paths that will never serve them in life (but will most certainly train them how to vote).

As a result, I must request -- please be factual and straight-up with me if we are to continue to debate -- this last response wouldn't qualify in my opinion.

This post was edited by CyrusTheGreat on Jan 27 2022 12:19am
Gold: 5.77
Jan 27 2022 12:20am
Quote (CyrusTheGreat @ Jan 26 2022 09:58pm)
Well, no. The unlimited capitalist economic ceiling is what recognized my developed skills and got me out of poverty.

The work part was my responsibility and sure, I did it. What's wrong with hard work and ambition?

Wait what? Like the sky opened and some golden god said “here is your labor assignment good and faithful servant” or like what?
Jan 27 2022 12:20am
Quote (CyrusTheGreat @ Jan 26 2022 10:17pm)
"Also, perhaps you have more information about the McDonald's program since you keep referencing it, but as far as I can find in a cursory search it seems that McDonald's has a tuition assistance program to eligible employees that amounts to $2,500/year: https://www.archwaystoopportunity.com/tuition_assistance.html";;

It was, though, as you wouldn't have referenced the dollar amount and posted a link otherwise.

The aim you were taking is that $2,500 a year is minuscule in terms of college costs, and when it comes to the far-leftist institutions you're thinking of, you're absolutely correct. They take hundreds of thousands of dollars from young, unknowing kids for degree paths that will never serve them in life.

As a result, I must request -- please be factual and straight-up with me if we are to continue to debate -- this last response wouldn't qualify in my opinion.

You seem hostile for reasons unknown to me. I'm unsure why it's difficult to accept that I genuinely acknowledged that you may have more information on McDonald's program than I do since you referenced it a number of times before--and I even clearly stated that my search was "cursory".

Edit: I reserved forming an opinion until I had the requisite knowledge about the program you're referring to, and perhaps you had additional information beyond what I was able to find.

This post was edited by Handcuffs on Jan 27 2022 12:21am
Jan 27 2022 12:23am
Quote (inkanddagger @ Jan 27 2022 01:20am)
Wait what? Like the sky opened and some golden god said “here is your labor assignment good and faithful servant” or like what?

Well, when I chose to apply for the job, I wasn't forced. I don't think the term assignment would apply here.

Quote (inkanddagger @ Jan 27 2022 01:24am)
Wait, so like you you sold your labor?

? I do not follow at all - sorry.

Quote (Handcuffs @ Jan 27 2022 01:20am)
You seem hostile for reasons unknown to me. I'm unsure why it's difficult to accept that I genuinely acknowledged that you may have more information on McDonald's program than I do since you referenced it a number of times before--and I even clearly stated that my search was "cursory".

Defending one's stance (no matter how vehemently) isn't a sign of hostility -- neither is reading between the lines of one's response. It's the framework of debate, actually.

I don't know you and have nothing against you. Disagreeing views <> hostility or hate, my friend. They are simply disagreeing views :)

This post was edited by CyrusTheGreat on Jan 27 2022 12:25am
Gold: 5.77
Jan 27 2022 12:24am
Quote (CyrusTheGreat @ Jan 26 2022 10:23pm)
Well, when I chose to apply for the job, I wasn't forced. I don't think the term assignment would apply here.

Defending one's stance (no matter how vehemently) isn't a sign of hostility -- neither is reading between the lines of one's response. It's the framework of debate, actually.

I don't know you and have nothing against you. Disagreeing views <> hostility or hate, my friend. They are simply disagreeing views :)

Wait, so like you sold your labor?

This post was edited by inkanddagger on Jan 27 2022 12:24am
Jan 27 2022 12:26am
Quote (CyrusTheGreat @ Jan 26 2022 10:23pm)

But you're not disagreeing with my view so much as you are disagreeing with a permutation of my view that you've created yourself.
Jan 27 2022 12:28am
Quote (Handcuffs @ Jan 27 2022 01:26am)
But you're not disagreeing with my view so much as you are disagreeing with a permutation of my view that you've created yourself.

https://forums.d2jsp.org/topic.php?t=92125332
https://forums.d2jsp.org/topic.php?t=92125379 - I think these cover all one needs to know in order to respectfully dismiss myself from this debate :)

As I said before -- Defending one's stance (no matter how vehemently) isn't a sign of hostility -- neither is reading between the lines of one's response. It's the framework of debate, actually.

I don't know you and have nothing against you. Disagreeing views <> hostility or hate, my friend. They are simply disagreeing views.

Have a nice evening :)

This post was edited by CyrusTheGreat on Jan 27 2022 12:35am
Go Back To Political & Religious Debate Topic List
Prev167891016Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll