d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > General Chat > Political & Religious Debate >
Poll > Pard Act/sat Equivalent Score Poll
Prev1678910Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
  Guests cannot view or vote in polls. Please register or login.
Gold: 2,504.69
Dec 20 2016 09:31am
Quote (Skinned @ Dec 20 2016 09:22am)
Never took either.

Finished undergrad magna cum laud even with online conversational Spanish and symbolic logic, which was very hard to self-teach....never recommend learning propositional calculus through books and YouTube videos.

Finished graduate school with a 3.8something. I was feeling such burn out by the end I blew a strategic management presentation and got a B for the class :(

I'll be starting my PhD in approximately 4.5 years. It isn't the next step.

I started college at 30 or 31.

card sultan disagrees.
Gold: 285.00
Dec 20 2016 09:51am
Quote (Mattd90 @ Dec 20 2016 10:29am)
I did shit on the SAT and ACT, like average on both. The airheaded cheerleader I knew since elementary school scored higher than me somehow.

But, I have two engineering degrees and a high paying job, and potential work with the DoE in the future. I think I turned out well despite a standardized test telling me I was an idiot.

That is what I'm talking about. Standardized testing fails in a lot of ways in assessing ability. This is why a standardized test score shouldn't be the sole decider in any situation. From going to engineering school or getting a job on the police department.

Quote (thesnipa @ Dec 20 2016 10:31am)
card sultan disagrees.

Lol he is winning jsp.

This post was edited by Skinned on Dec 20 2016 09:51am
Dec 20 2016 09:58am
Quote (Skinned @ Dec 20 2016 09:51am)
That is what I'm talking about. Standardized testing fails in a lot of ways in assessing ability. This is why a standardized test score shouldn't be the sole decider in any situation. From going to engineering school or getting a job on the police department.

standardized tests don't "get someone a job on the police dept" there are practical tests as well. But i know we agree on what actually needs to be done in terms of reform so i won't poke to hard. But yes, it is important for the memorization portion of a cop's job to be tested. as they have a myriad of procedures, local laws, county laws, state laws, and federal laws to not only memorize but also to memorize how they play off of each other.

if we're being honest the situational preparation that cops do is less lacking the physical fitness requirements. The reason police often legitimately fear for their lives, which leads to both armed and unarmed shootings, is due to them not being confident they can restrain or win a fight against a perp. People see a 250 lb black guy get shot by a 110 lb Asian lady cop and they cry foul, without ever taking a second to realize if he punches her he then has access to enough deadly weapons to kill a whole schoolbus worth of children. if we want to reduce the number of shootings of unarmed perps we need more MMA trained officers. i expressed this opinion in academia many times and was going to strive for this type of police reform (obviously paired with a heavy dose of community policing) but was essentially laughed at. We simply don't live in a day and age where those types of requirements are feasible in the male-female equality meta we live in. It's essentially like an ID law, there's not practical reason one group can do it and another can't but the data shows it ends up disproportionate due to the incalculable "thats the way it is" factor.
Dec 20 2016 10:03am
Quote (Skinned @ Dec 20 2016 10:51am)

Lol he is winning jsp.

Standardized tests are a useful tool, they help measure some form of intelligence. However, they and other tests, shouldn't be the sole gold standard to measure someone's capabilities.

I for one am historically a terrible test taker. I used to get fantastic grades on homework assignments, projects, labs, you name it... most of the time. When it came to tests, especially in college, I would shit the bed. Usually poor time management or second guessing myself the whole way.

An example:
I took partial differential equations, and was studying 2 hours before a test with friends. Another friend came in an hourish before class, didn't realize there was a test, barely knew material, so I ran through it all with him... I essentially taught him most of the material.
I had a series of brain farts on the tests, when we got the grades back, I had a 46/100, he had a 90/100. That's just how I was with tests. Everybody found it funny, because they knew I essentially taught him everything he needed to know and that I was smarter.
Gold: 3,375.01
Dec 20 2016 10:39am
Quote (thesnipa @ <a dir="ltr" href="x-apple-data-detectors://10" x-apple-data-detectors="true" x-apple-data-detectors-type="calendar-event" x-apple-data-detectors-result="10">Dec 20 2016 08:58am</a>)
standardized tests don't "get someone a job on the police dept" there are practical tests as well. But i know we agree on what actually needs to be done in terms of reform so i won't poke to hard. But yes, it is important for the memorization portion of a cop's job to be tested. as they have a myriad of procedures, local laws, county laws, state laws, and federal laws to not only memorize but also to memorize how they play off of each other.

if we're being honest the situational preparation that cops do is less lacking the physical fitness requirements. The reason police often legitimately fear for their lives, which leads to both armed and unarmed shootings, is due to them not being confident they can restrain or win a fight against a perp. People see a 250 lb black guy get shot by a 110 lb Asian lady cop and they cry foul, without ever taking a second to realize if he punches her he then has access to enough deadly weapons to kill a whole schoolbus worth of children. if we want to reduce the number of shootings of unarmed perps we need more MMA trained officers. i expressed this opinion in academia many times and was going to strive for this type of police reform (obviously paired with a heavy dose of community policing) but was essentially laughed at. We simply don't live in a day and age where those types of requirements are feasible in the male-female equality meta we live in. It's essentially like an ID law, there's not practical reason one group can do it and another can't but the data shows it ends up disproportionate due to the incalculable "thats the way it is" factor.

Most women shouldn't be firefighters or police officers. I LOL when I see a 100 lb police officer. Yes there are exceptions though.
Gold: 3,375.01
Dec 20 2016 10:41am
Quote (Mattd90 @ <a dir="ltr" href="x-apple-data-detectors://13" x-apple-data-detectors="true" x-apple-data-detectors-type="calendar-event" x-apple-data-detectors-result="13">Dec 20 2016 09:03am</a>)
Standardized tests are a useful tool, they help measure some form of intelligence. However, they and other tests, shouldn't be the sole gold standard to measure someone's capabilities.

I for one am historically a terrible test taker. I used to get fantastic grades on homework assignments, projects, labs, you name it... most of the time. When it came to tests, especially in college, I would shit the bed. Usually poor time management or second guessing myself the whole way.

An example:
I took partial differential equations, and was studying 2 hours before a test with friends. Another friend came in an hourish before class, didn't realize there was a test, barely knew material, so I ran through it all with him... I essentially taught him most of the material.
I had a series of brain farts on the tests, when we got the grades back, I had a 46/100, he had a 90/100. That's just how I was with tests. Everybody found it funny, because they knew I essentially taught him everything he needed to know and that I was smarter.

You aren't a horrible test taker, you just didn't know the material as well as you think you did. I'm the same way, kill it on everything but the tests because I haven't gotten into the habit of prepping myself for tests effectively.
Gold: Locked
Dec 20 2016 10:41am
Would have had "converted" 33 but would have scored better on the ACT had I taken it.
Dec 20 2016 10:46am
Quote (thesnipa @ Dec 20 2016 10:58am)

We get patients like this. Luckily our charge nurse is like 6'8" and we can usually flank someone to get them in a mechanical grab and get them a shot when they're berserking.

We had an anti-social personality disorder guy who later got a TBI on a quad who said the doctors debrained him and put Cherokee warrior spirits in his head. Big and farm raised. We had to meet to decide what to do when he started to throw a fit. A fire drill happened that day and it was go time. We've had staff get hurt pretty bad but not often. The police brought this guy to us, so I can only imagine that was an adventure in itself.

This post was edited by Skinned on Dec 20 2016 10:46am
Dec 20 2016 11:23am
Quote (Skinned @ Dec 20 2016 10:46am)
We get patients like this. Luckily our charge nurse is like 6'8" and we can usually flank someone to get them in a mechanical grab and get them a shot when they're berserking.

We had an anti-social personality disorder guy who later got a TBI on a quad who said the doctors debrained him and put Cherokee warrior spirits in his head. Big and farm raised. We had to meet to decide what to do when he started to throw a fit. A fire drill happened that day and it was go time. We've had staff get hurt pretty bad but not often. The police brought this guy to us, so I can only imagine that was an adventure in itself.

sounds like that guy's lucky he made it to you and not prison in a solitary ward. the number of people i've seen with obvious cognitive disabilities, up to an including down's, in general population prisons, usually in solitary wards, makes me sick. Widow was always here to remind us of the disastrous results of leaving mental hospitals behind.
Dec 20 2016 11:36am
Quote (dirTyMan @ Dec 20 2016 11:39am)
Most women shouldn't be firefighters or police officers. I LOL when I see a 100 lb police officer. Yes there are exceptions though.

Yeah, I'm like "how will she manage to even put on plate mail and swing a broad sword" lol.

Quote (thesnipa @ Dec 20 2016 12:23pm)
sounds like that guy's lucky he made it to you and not prison in a solitary ward. the number of people i've seen with obvious cognitive disabilities, up to an including down's, in general population prisons, usually in solitary wards, makes me sick. Widow was always here to remind us of the disastrous results of leaving mental hospitals behind.

He wasn't with us long, we stabilized him and sent him on his way. We are 72 hour hold place lol. Most of the time people don't decide to stay longer even if the option is there. We did have a sheriff come in to stand around and look serious though. He didn't do anything, and we could all tell that he wasn't really a psych guy, so he was really uncomfortable :lol: It will be a good story for him to tell the wife.

This post was edited by Skinned on Dec 20 2016 11:39am
Go Back To Political & Religious Debate Topic List
Prev1678910Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll