d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > General Chat > Political & Religious Debate > Voter Id Good Idea? Or Illegal Poll Tax? > Decisions Are Across The Board
Prev167891014Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 752.10
Oct 16 2014 09:41pm
Quote (Santara @ Oct 16 2014 09:38pm)
It would have been valid at the time of the last election? If so, why did you have to renew a valid license to vote?

It would've expired at the end of this month, and that is irrelevant. Renewing a license with an official state document and selective services registration shouldn't require an appeal.
Gold: 8,933.00
Oct 16 2014 09:46pm
Quote (nobrow @ Oct 16 2014 10:41pm)
It would've expired at the end of this month, and that is irrelevant. Renewing a license with an official state document and selective services registration shouldn't require an appeal.

OK, now we're getting somewhere. You were renewing in advance of the upcoming election, and renewal was a pain in the ass. Do you believe it was a pain in the ass because someone was in a position to think you were likely a liberal voter and acted upon it, or is there a problem with the process that applies to everyone?
Oct 16 2014 10:05pm
Quote (Santara @ Oct 16 2014 09:46pm)
OK, now we're getting somewhere. You were renewing in advance of the upcoming election, and renewal was a pain in the ass. Do you believe it was a pain in the ass because someone was in a position to think you were likely a liberal voter and acted upon it, or is there a problem with the process that applies to everyone?

I am not sure because the process is painful and disproportionally effects younger people because paperless billing statements are not accepted whereas snail mail bills are. The lady at the DMV was old and denied me, on appeal the woman was much younger and instantly renewed my license with the documents I had.

Technology advancements require different methods to be accepted as residency and Utah refuses to accept them. They would've accepted a snail mail credit card bill, but my credit card is "paperless" so my electronic bill couldn't be printed for proof. Undoing the process takes one month minimum and is often times charged a fee.
Gold: 8,933.00
Oct 16 2014 10:10pm
Quote (nobrow @ Oct 16 2014 11:05pm)
I am not sure because the process is painful and disproportionally effects younger people because paperless billing statements are not accepted whereas snail mail bills are. The lady at the DMV was old and denied me, on appeal the woman was much younger and instantly renewed my license with the documents I had.

Technology advancements require different methods to be accepted as residency and Utah refuses to accept them. They would've accepted a snail mail credit card bill, but my credit card is "paperless" so my electronic bill couldn't be printed for proof. Undoing the process takes one month minimum and is often times charged a fee.

Alright, so there isn't any real malice that seems to be at play here. Just rules made by old people according to the way they understand the world. Do you get any US mail that could have been used? Gas bill? Electric? Phone? Capital One solicitations?
Oct 16 2014 10:14pm
Quote (Santara @ Oct 16 2014 10:10pm)
Alright, so there isn't any real malice that seems to be at play here. Just rules made by old people according to the way they understand the world. Do you get any US mail that could have been used? Gas bill? Electric? Phone? Capital One solicitations?

Solicitations don't count, and I have made sure all of my bills are delivered to be via snail mail because of this incident. I've been "harassed" over the phone by these companies to go paperless, but I refuse to because of my experience. I want to because of the environmental benefits but until the law is changed I am forced to keep my snail mail bills. Also the bills can't be older than 1 month, at least according to the old lady at the DMV.

The appeal took my paperless bills, the regulations are extremely vague. I am wondering if she accepted them because I was a total jerk and a white male. They wouldn't even take letters addressed to me by TDAmeritrade involving my trading account.

This post was edited by nobrow on Oct 16 2014 10:14pm
Gold: 270.56
Oct 16 2014 11:20pm
It's really not illegals I'm worried about. I've seen them flip through the list in my voting center and have seen names of people I know are not in town, let alone the state anymore. It would be simple to say, " hey Steve, go vote on behalf of my buddy Frank Jackson", they won't know the difference. As far as I'm, concerned there hasn't been a solid argument yet that could persuade me that it is a bad idea to require id.
Gold: 500.00
Oct 16 2014 11:30pm
so i guess this thread confirms just how difficult it is to get whatever is you need to vote eh?
Gold: 25.00
Oct 16 2014 11:41pm
Quote (duffman316 @ Oct 17 2014 12:30am)
so i guess this thread confirms just how difficult it is to get whatever is you need to vote eh?

Not really. One dudes experience is about as relevant as one count of voter fraud.
Gold: 171.76
Oct 16 2014 11:46pm
Quote (WidowMaKer_MK @ Oct 16 2014 02:09pm)
...every voter should present a valid photo I.D. - no exceptions . I don't want to hear any sob stories about being too poor to afford one - get it or stay home .

yeah because fuck the freedom of choosing ones government

maybe we don't want to hear about your racist rampant paranoia about conspiracies to vote in Democrats with voter fraud that doesn't exist
Gold: 500.00
Oct 16 2014 11:46pm
Quote (Mangix @ Oct 17 2014 12:41am)
Not really. One dudes experience is about as relevant as one count of voter fraud.

yea but he's not just any dude, he's one of us!
Go Back To Political & Religious Debate Topic List
Prev167891014Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll