d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > General Chat > Political & Religious Debate > Trump Just Got Owned
Prev167891016Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 5,721.69
Jan 27 2024 04:15pm
Gold: 901.00
Jan 27 2024 04:24pm
Quote (FlowingOakTree @ Jan 27 2024 05:15pm)

Lol
Gold: 22,164.69
Jan 27 2024 04:42pm
Quote (Thor123422 @ Jan 27 2024 04:14pm)
You are applying your own experience, where you follow politics and have strong opinions. The average person doesn't pay any attention to politics. Even the average voter doesn't pay that close attention or have particularly strong feelings. Even in deep blue places it's pretty easy to find ambivalent people and even strong Trump supporters.

I too live on the planet kolob, where rivers of milk and honey flow through golden fields of heavenly manna.

u serious?
Gold: 260.11
Jan 27 2024 05:17pm
Quote (Goomshill @ Jan 27 2024 04:42pm)
I too live on the planet kolob, where rivers of milk and honey flow through golden fields of heavenly manna.

u serious?

:huh: I know you're acting dumb on purpose to defend Trump, but yes. The average person doesn't closely follow politics.
Gold: 143,812.00
Jan 27 2024 05:49pm
Anyone thinking that the American justice system isnt being curved towards the current administration is blind and deaf, literally. It doesn’t take a rocket scientist to see what has happened since Covid. All you have to do is compare statistical information between both terms and you can see the difference. Never in my life have I seen the DOJ be weaponized against a former president. Obviously something wrong is happening, and it’s all pointing to libtards and far left retards.

This post was edited by TheEndOfTimes on Jan 27 2024 05:49pm
Gold: 4,404.67
Jan 27 2024 05:55pm
Quote (Thor123422 @ 27 Jan 2024 23:14)
You are applying your own experience, where you follow politics and have strong opinions. The average person doesn't pay any attention to politics. Even the average voter doesn't pay that close attention or have particularly strong feelings. Even in deep blue places it's pretty easy to find ambivalent people and even strong Trump supporters.

A rich white guy with millions of dollars to pay his lawyers with is not getting the short end of the stick in our legal system. In fact, the legal system has at every step bent over backwards to ensure Trump got treated far better than the average person, this case was no exception.

Our system is adversarial. Trump's lawyers get the opportunity to exempt jurors, but otherwise have to prove bias. If they can't, that's on them. The system works extremely well for rich people, and there's no argument that jury selection went wrong when you are throwing millions of dollars at your lawyers and have sophisticated council at your disposal.

This argument would have been passable in a really sleepy cycle like 2014, but come on. Ever since Trump burst onto the political scene, we've had one high-turnout election cycle after another. I would even argue that politics kinda became part of pop culture during the Trump presidency. It's absurb to argue that the average person doesn't pay any attention to politics in this day and age. You might be right that the average person, even the average voter, doesn't pay super close attention - but still easily enough to have formed an opinion on the freaking president... let alone the most polarizing president in living memory.

The second part of your post is textbook ecological fallacy. "Rich white men are favored in the US legal system, Trump is a rich white men, therefore, he cannot have been treated unfairly."

This post was edited by Black XistenZ on Jan 27 2024 05:58pm
Gold: 1.73
Jan 27 2024 06:58pm
Quote (Black XistenZ @ 27 Jan 2024 18:55)
This argument would have been passable in a really sleepy cycle like 2014, but come on. Ever since Trump burst onto the political scene, we've had one high-turnout election cycle after another. I would even argue that politics kinda became part of pop culture during the Trump presidency. It's absurb to argue that the average person doesn't pay any attention to politics in this day and age. You might be right that the average person, even the average voter, doesn't pay super close attention - but still easily enough to have formed an opinion on the freaking president... let alone the most polarizing president in living memory.

The second part of your post is textbook ecological fallacy. "Rich white men are favored in the US legal system, Trump is a rich white men, therefore, he cannot have been treated unfairly."

That last line of yours pretty much defines his line of thought. He is a part of the white man can do no good party.
Gold: 260.11
Jan 27 2024 07:10pm
Quote (Black XistenZ @ Jan 27 2024 05:55pm)

I'll remind you that juries are not meant to be composed of totally neutral individuals with no exposure and no personal opinions. They're meant to be composed of people who can be fair. Most people, even if they have some awareness, are not chomping at the bits to see Trump harmed.

Having an opinion on Trump as a person does not mean they are overtly prejudiced, and does not disqualify them from being on a jury.

The second part is actually not the ecological fallacy, as being rich means you have access to sophisticated representation and Trump has been treated with far more deference in every court than the laymen would get. It's actually just an observation of the actual treatment Trump has received.
Gold: 5,016.77
Jan 27 2024 07:16pm
Quote (Goomshill @ Jan 27 2024 12:00pm)
And someone with even an ounce of civil libertarian ideals should reflexively oppose blatant kangaroo courts weaponized for political purposes.

I can at least understand how people could buy into the Russiaburger narrative given that Wikileaks absolutely helped push Trump over the line, at Putin's behest. And in reality was just Hillary's chickens coming home to roost in a few senses of the idiom. But this one? You have to disbelieve your own lying eyes and ignore the accusation being so absurdly vague and unprovable / unfalsifiable that she couldn't even tell you what year it was. And then you have to believe a playboy billionaire in his prime decided he'd banged enough 20-something supermodel and lusted after a post menopausal feminazi 50-something cat lady with a face like skeletor

Its a show trial. Future historians will write about this shameful chapter of history by pointing out how demented the hate for Trump in New York was, and probably include a hologram of E Jean Carroll's withered visage to punctuate it

I'm not familiar enough with the case to comment on it's validity, I just find it strange that you guys care. The "civil libertarian ideals" argument seems kind of weak, considering that there's a million more valid examples you could focus on, lol. You care that Trump is getting punished.

Quote (Thor123422 @ Jan 27 2024 12:01pm)
Our court system has a lot of problems.

Billionaire white men getting harsh treatment is not one of them

Yep.
Gold: 5,016.77
Jan 27 2024 07:19pm
And as far as the "Trump Derangement Syndrome", it looks like no Trump critics here are that intimately familiar with the case. I guess you guys are more obsessed with the guy than we are.

I focus on the things that matter.

This post was edited by IceMage on Jan 27 2024 07:20pm
Go Back To Political & Religious Debate Topic List
Prev167891016Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll