d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > General Chat > Political & Religious Debate > Official Joe Biden 2020 Thread
Prev167686970711036Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 57.00
May 8 2020 08:06am
Quote (Black XistenZ @ 8 May 2020 07:13)
A 5 year old skit from the Daily Show with Jon Stewart about Biden's "audacity of grope":
http://www.cc.com/video-clips/yfmksi/the-daily-show-with-jon-stewart-the-audacity-of-grope

If the link isnt working, try this backup:
https://v.redd.it/c97nkrk8eal41

:rofl:

e: https://www.realclearpolitics.com/video/2020/05/07/joe_bidens_virtual_rally_in_tampa_florida_marred_by_technical_difficulties_am_i_on.html

This post was edited by excellence on May 8 2020 08:16am
Gold: 4,404.67
May 8 2020 12:57pm
Quote (Skinned @ 8 May 2020 14:48)
If we made a check list of all the shitty weird Trump things, Biden only checks Trump boxes gropes others and has a shitty kid (not Barron). Trump still has a lot of other boxes checked off that are very negative thet Biden doesn't.

Lol, Biden checks a lot more boxes than just two:

- gropes others
- has a shitty kid
- habitual liar
- corrupt
- unreliable mental health status
- has enacted a lot of policies which are hated by the left

for the latter point, see
https://harpers.org/archive/2019/03/joe-biden-record/

Sure, when it comes to stuff like being a pathological liar, Biden doesnt come anywhere close to Trump, but your argument is still imprecise (albeit valid, I'll give you that).
From a liberal point of view, I think the correct way to phrase it would be: "Joe Biden checks almost all the same boxes of shittiness as Trump, but he's still the lesser of two evils because he's significantly less shitty than Trump in all those areas."

Yep, that's gonna turn out voters in droves ^_^

This post was edited by Black XistenZ on May 8 2020 01:12pm
May 8 2020 01:03pm
The one area where Biden is really drawing a stark contrast to Trump is bipartisanship/willingness to (try to) bring the country back together. I think that's what's really setting them apart. Well, and the fact that Biden will staff his cabinet and departments with Washington insiders.
Gold: 12,730.67
May 8 2020 01:11pm
Quote (Black XistenZ @ May 8 2020 12:03pm)
The one area where Biden is really drawing a stark contrast to Trump is bipartisanship/willingness to (try to) bring the country back together. I think that's what's really setting them apart. Well, and the fact that Biden will staff his cabinet and departments with Washington insiders.

There's also the fact that foreign countries are more likely to take Biden (and the US as a whole) seriously. I think a lot of countries are banking on Trump being an "oopsie" by America. If we reelect Trump, I imagine that a lot of countries will accept the fact that America shouldn't be the leader of the free world. Maybe that will be beneficial for them in the long run, but there will be A LOT of growing pains.

Climate change is also a big one.
May 8 2020 01:22pm
Quote (thundercock @ 8 May 2020 21:11)
There's also the fact that foreign countries are more likely to take Biden (and the US as a whole) seriously. I think a lot of countries are banking on Trump being an "oopsie" by America. If we reelect Trump, I imagine that a lot of countries will accept the fact that America shouldn't be the leader of the free world. Maybe that will be beneficial for them in the long run, but there will be A LOT of growing pains.

Climate change is also a big one.

Sorry, but I dont think that foreign leaders will take the sad, half-empty shell of the man who used to be Joe Biden thaaaaat seriously.

In general, American leadership in the world has already diminished greatly before Trump even set a foot into the Oval Office. The way the world was mislead by blatant lies to justify the disastrous Iraq War has badly eroded trust in American leadership and really cut down their moral high ground (if the US ever had one to begin with). The financial crisis originated in the US, and was caused by the excesses of financial deregulation which were advanced by every US president from Reagan to Bush jr. If there was anything left of your moral high ground, it was lost with the NSA spying scandal and the treatment of Julian Assange/Edward Snowden/Chelsea Manning. China emerging as a second economic superpower is also something that was already set in stone by the time Trump took office. The time of the US playing the world's sheriff were defnitely over when Obama didnt enforce his own red lines in Syria and Ukraine. Biden wont reverse America's strategic retreat from this role either...

When it comes to climate change: I prefer a more localized, bottom-up approach anyway. Climate change should be tackled more by the states, private businesses and private initiatives. A top-down approach forcing people to make big sacrifices imho wont work, it will only provoke a political backlash.
Hollow and expensive symbolic politics like the Paris Agreement imho dont have nearly as much upside as its proponents claim.

This post was edited by Black XistenZ on May 8 2020 01:28pm
Gold: 83.30
May 8 2020 01:25pm
Quote (Black XistenZ @ May 8 2020 09:22pm)
Sorry, but I dont think that foreign leaders will take the sad, half-empty shell of the man who used to be Joe Biden thaaaaat seriously.

In general, American leadership in the world has already diminished greatly before Trump even set a foot into the Oval Office. The way the world was mislead by blatant lies to justify the disastrous Iraq War has badly eroded trust in American leadership and really cut down their moral high ground (if the US ever had one to begin with). The financial crisis originated in the US, and was caused by the excesses of financial deregulation which were advanced by every US president from Reagan to Bush jr. If there was anything left of your moral high ground, it was lost with the NSA spying scandal and the treatment of Julian Assange/Edward Snowden/Chelsea Manning. China is emerging as a second economic superpower is also something that was already set in stone by the time Trump took office. The time of the US playing the world's sheriff were defnitely over when Obama didnt enforce his own red lines in Syria and Ukraine. Biden wont reverse America's strategic retreat from this role either...

When it comes to climate change: I prefer a more localized, bottom-up approach anyway. Climate change should be tackled more by the states, private businesses and private initiatives. A top-down approach forcing people to make big sacrifices imho wont work, it will only provoke a political backlash.
Hollow and expensive symbolic politics like the Paris Agreement imho dont have nearly as much upside as its proponents claim.

Idk how many people in the US know about the scale of the protests against the Iraq war in much of Western Europe. It was pretty massive.
Gold: 12,730.67
May 8 2020 01:29pm
Quote (Black XistenZ @ May 8 2020 12:22pm)

In general, American leadership in the world has already diminished greatly before Trump even set a foot into the Oval Office. The way the world was mislead by blatant lies to justify the disastrous Iraq War has badly eroded trust in American leadership and really cut down their moral high ground (if the US ever had one to begin with). The financial crisis originated in the US, and was caused by the excesses of financial deregulation which were advanced by every US president from Reagan to Bush jr. If there was anything left of your moral high ground, it was lost with the NSA spying scandal and the treatment of Julian Assange/Edward Snowden/Chelsea Manning. China is emerging as a second economic superpower is also something that was already set in stone by the time Trump took office. The time of the US playing the world's sheriff were defnitely over when Obama didnt enforce his own red lines in Syria and Ukraine.

Perhaps not, but a hell of a lot more seriously than both Trump and Bush.

I don't think a bottom-up approach will work for climate change. I read something along the lines of COVID caused a projected 5.5% decrease in emissions for the year. That indicates that even with all the lockdowns in Europe and America, we still only made a small dent in emissions. The reason for this is that our INFRASTRUCTURE needs to change more than our behavior does. You can't change the energy grid with a bottom up approach.
May 8 2020 01:32pm
Quote (balrog66 @ 8 May 2020 21:25)
Idk how many people in the US know about the scale of the protests against the Iraq war in much of Western Europe. It was pretty massive.

German Chancellor Gerhard Schröder was a corrupt piece of shit who sold out our country in a lot of ways, and his legislative legacy consists of poison pill after poison pill - but the fact that he kept our country out of the Iraq war is something I'll always thank him for. It was the main reason he was reelected in 2002.

Needless to say, then-opposition leader Angela Merkel felt compelled to write an op-ed in the Washington Post to stress that she would have led Germany into the Iraq war:
https://www.washingtonpost.com/archive/opinions/2003/02/20/schroeder-doesnt-speak-for-all-germans/1e88b69d-ac42-48e2-a4ab-21f62c413505/

This post was edited by Black XistenZ on May 8 2020 01:33pm
Gold: 23.00
May 8 2020 02:18pm
Quote (Saucisson6000 @ May 8 2020 08:10am)
In my paper:
"Douglas Wigdor, a prominent lawyer and political donor to President Donald Trump's 2016 Republican campaign, has accepted this mission. But he rejects any political motivation and claims not to be paid by Tara Reade."

Ok?

Everyone who worked with Dr. Ford was part of the never trump cult...why should this be treated any differently?
May 8 2020 10:26pm
Quote (fuzzy159 @ 8 May 2020 22:18)
Ok?

Everyone who worked with Dr. Ford was part of the never trump cult...why should this be treated any differently?

And there's also the disparate motive: Ford was a lifelong liberal who had all the reason in the world to prevent the Supreme Court from swinging to the right with Kavanaugh's confirmation, while Reade is a liberal just like Biden and even worked for him.

From a partisan point of view, Ford's accusations against Kavanaugh served her partisan self-interest, while Reade's accusation risk harming hers (since the scandal might help Trump win reelection).
Go Back To Political & Religious Debate Topic List
Prev167686970711036Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll