d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > General Chat > Political & Religious Debate > Got Questions About God? > #1 Can You Really Trust The Bible?
Prev1666768697078Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: Locked
Trader: Scammer
May 17 2013 11:38pm
Quote (CPK001 @ May 18 2013 12:44am)
Matthew 6:1-4 NIV
“Be careful not to practice your righteousness in front of others to be seen by them. If you do, you will have no reward from your Father in heaven.
2 “So when you give to the needy, do not announce it with trumpets, as the hypocrites do in the synagogues and on the streets, to be honored by others. Truly I tell you, they have received their reward in full. 3 But when you give to the needy, do not let your left hand know what your right hand is doing, 4 so that your giving may be in secret. Then your Father, who sees what is done in secret, will reward you.

Mark 12:41-44 NIV
41 Jesus sat down opposite the place where the offerings were put and watched the crowd putting their money into the temple treasury. Many rich people threw in large amounts. 42 But a poor widow came and put in two very small copper coins, worth only a few cents.

43 Calling his disciples to him, Jesus said, “Truly I tell you, this poor widow has put more into the treasury than all the others. 44 They all gave out of their wealth; but she, out of her poverty, put in everything—all she had to live on.”

Yeah don't point out that I replied with only Bible verses, I am aware of that.

Well, obviously I don't agree with their legitimacy, but I'm willing to argue on your terms. I don't see that Gates Foundation or Doctors Without Borders work in order to be seen, which makes the first one seem non-applicable.

The latter it appears to me would only argue the widow is doing more good than the rich putting in more money, not that the rich people aren't doing any good at all.

I don't agree with the valuation, I have a much more grounded way of determining it -- i.e. who helped the most, though I would praise anyone giving what they can. But my thoughts aren't the point, I don't really think one can justify "atheists never do good" within Christianity without deviating wildly from common sense.

If the perfect person, Jesus, never existed then there was no sacrifice for all of humankind. That would mean that Satan would still have power over us and we would be cut off from God without any relationship.

I can't respond, I don't think any of the bases from which you're arguing is true. It's too centered on your belief system for me to argue this point substantively.

If there is no God and this life is all we have, then what is the meaning of life if we're going to live 70ish years at the most and time would continue forever more? Wouldn't it be better to prolong your birth if you could because of technology 200 years from now?

I say prolong because it is no secret that humans are always advancing in technology. Compare what is being said in the Bible where they had to walk everywhere and they could only tell the time by the sun itself. Look at where we are now and where we are going.

Sure, I think it's far better on average to be born now than to be born 200 years ago, and hope that it can be better than now in 200 years. I don't understand how this makes a difference with respect to a meaning of life. I don't know that there is an objective meaning of life, and it seems to me we have to figure that out for ourselves.

An exemplar makes it so much easier for a system of morality because you have a walking, talking example of how you should live and what rewards will come.

Jews have a system of morality without this. Many of those belief systems I linked above have systems of morality, and most of them don't have such an exemplar. Beyond that, I don't see the ease of establishing a system of morality has anything to do with whether it's possible.

I'm not sure what it is for you though, how you view death.

Well, I view death as the end for myself, that "I" in any meaningful sense will cease to be. Perhaps it's not true, as with anything I believe through empiricism, but I don't see a reason to accept some more complex answer, as I don't have evidence of such a thing, or even an alternative theory that is falsifiable, though I would be open to one if someone were to formulate one or if I thought of one.

If my death can mean good things for others, I'm prepared to die. For example, if I had a medical condition and became a vegetable, I don't want the people I love to have to spend tremendous amounts of money on this.

This post was edited by N1ccolo on May 17 2013 11:45pm
Retired Moderator
Gold: 848.00
Trader: Trusted
May 18 2013 01:29pm
Quote (CPK001 @ 15 May 2013 10:51)
Are you incapable of using your imagination that you cannot know what I'm talking about with that example?
We all have our own 'assessments' don't we?
So you think that it is a good idea not to listen to the warnings? Alrighty then.
You did, congratulations you were correct with something for once.

Then what is it that you oppose then? Or do you just love Satan?

The problems that we have is shared equally, I can say the exact same thing about you brmv about 'seeing the world in black and white only.' It is a two way implication.
I am not surprised at all. Let me quote from the second post of that same thread. http://forums.d2jsp.org/topic.php?t=67317285&f=119&p=451577045

Jesus said to love our enemies.
if satan is our enemy must love him. (if it exists)
jesus never mentioned that we should hate satan.
I'm wrong?
Gold: 6.66
May 18 2013 01:34pm
Quote (El Shadday @ May 18 2013 09:29pm)
I'm wrong?

there is love, there is indifference, then there's hate

probably the appropriate approach here is just to avoid his ways, and since the love-hate part was not specified, be indifferent towards him. That is following the premises you gave.

This post was edited by Neptunus on May 18 2013 01:35pm
Retired Moderator
May 18 2013 02:23pm
Quote (Neptunus @ 18 May 2013 16:34)
there is love, there is indifference, then there's hate

probably the appropriate approach here is just to avoid his ways, and since the love-hate part was not specified, be indifferent towards him. That is following the premises you gave.

in no time Jesus said to be indifferent.
either you love or you hate.
there is no middle ground.
we use logic.
Gold: 0.00
May 19 2013 05:58am
Quote (N1ccolo @ May 18 2013 03:38pm)
Well, obviously I don't agree with their legitimacy, but I'm willing to argue on your terms. I don't see that Gates Foundation or Doctors Without Borders work in order to be seen, which makes the first one seem non-applicable.

The latter it appears to me would only argue the widow is doing more good than the rich putting in more money, not that the rich people aren't doing any good at all.

I don't agree with the valuation, I have a much more grounded way of determining it -- i.e. who helped the most, though I would praise anyone giving what they can. But my thoughts aren't the point, I don't really think one can justify "atheists never do good" within Christianity without deviating wildly from common sense.

Yeah that is how our minds work. Whoever helped the most gets all the praise.

I can't respond, I don't think any of the bases from which you're arguing is true. It's too centered on your belief system for me to argue this point substantively.

Fair enough

Sure, I think it's far better on average to be born now than to be born 200 years ago, and hope that it can be better than now in 200 years. I don't understand how this makes a difference with respect to a meaning of life. I don't know that there is an objective meaning of life, and it seems to me we have to figure that out for ourselves.

Well the point I'm making is that if this life is all we have, then this life would be a materialistic life. However, since technology is advancing all the time there comes a point when everything in this life will be medieval. Nothing will last. So in order to be truly happy you need to have the greatest gadgets that will ever be invented.

However that is not true is it? Back before we had this technology, people still were able to be happy with what they have. Why is that? There must be more to life than possessions.

Jews have a system of morality without this. Many of those belief systems I linked above have systems of morality, and most of them don't have such an exemplar. Beyond that, I don't see the ease of establishing a system of morality has anything to do with whether it's possible.

Fair enough, we shall not debate about this from this point on.

Well, I view death as the end for myself, that "I" in any meaningful sense will cease to be. Perhaps it's not true, as with anything I believe through empiricism, but I don't see a reason to accept some more complex answer, as I don't have evidence of such a thing, or even an alternative theory that is falsifiable, though I would be open to one if someone were to formulate one or if I thought of one.

If my death can mean good things for others, I'm prepared to die. For example, if I had a medical condition and became a vegetable, I don't want the people I love to have to spend tremendous amounts of money on this.

So if death means you cease to exist, there are no consequences for actions you do in this life. Times of suffering are the worst thing that can happen because it gets in the way of your materialistic life's goals. Where do you put your faith in times of a storm in your life?

Quote (El Shadday @ May 19 2013 05:29am)
I'm wrong?

http://www.gotquestions.org/does-God-love-Satan.html

That answers about God loving Satan. I'll quote a single paragraph if you don't want to click the link.

"Since Satan is everything that is antithetical to the God we love, we cannot love Satan. If we loved Satan, we would be forced to hate God, because holiness is the opposite of sin."
Retired Moderator
May 19 2013 06:09am
Quote (CPK001 @ 19 May 2013 08:58)
http://www.gotquestions.org/does-God-love-Satan.html

That answers about God loving Satan. I'll quote a single paragraph if you don't want to click the link.

"Since Satan is everything that is antithetical to the God we love, we cannot love Satan. If we loved Satan, we would be forced to hate God, because holiness is the opposite of sin."

this is an answer out of the bible.
I want to know a rational response within the Bible about it.

May 19 2013 07:48am
Quote (El Shadday @ May 19 2013 10:09pm)
this is an answer out of the bible.
I want to know a rational response within the Bible about it.

Are you saying that the answer given has no Bible reference about it? If you click the link he does give you a few bible verses to back up his claims and he explains it all.

Nobody can serve two masters.
Retired Moderator
May 19 2013 08:40am
Quote (CPK001 @ 19 May 2013 10:48)
Are you saying that the answer given has no Bible reference about it? If you click the link he does give you a few bible verses to back up his claims and he explains it all.

Nobody can serve two masters.

you believe a father creates a child who in his rebelliousness he is eternally damned to evil?
this belief affront the goodness of God.
May 20 2013 04:47am
Quote (El Shadday @ May 20 2013 12:40am)
you believe a father creates a child who in his rebelliousness he is eternally damned to evil?
this belief affront the goodness of God.

You feeling sorry for Satan are you?
Gold: 285.00
May 20 2013 05:05am
Quote (CPK001 @ May 20 2013 05:47am)
You feeling sorry for Satan are you?

http://www-rohan.sdsu.edu/faculty/dunnweb/rprnts.omelas.pdf
Go Back To Political & Religious Debate Topic List
Prev1666768697078Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll