d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > General Chat > Political & Religious Debate > The Duffington Post > Bringing You Real News
Prev16566676869530Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 12,252.00
Jun 13 2017 06:33pm
Quote (Handcuffs @ Jun 13 2017 05:29pm)
Pride originated as an event to commemorate the anniversary of the Stonewall Riots, a riot that ignited due to police and state brutality towards queer people, especially trans/queer people of color. Namely, Marsha P. Johnson and Silvia Rivera are credited for starting what would go down in infamy that night.

Since that time, Pride has of course evolved and grown, but many say that it has grown increasingly disconnected from its roots, and that the rampant corporatism and police apologist attitudes riddled throughout Pride and within the larger community exist in direct opposition to these roots. Rightfully, BLM (and many other groups) have interrupted Pride parades all over as an act of resistance to this shift and to call-out the community at large.

I'v been to a few gay pride parades and have never seen anything of this manner. Sure you might see some logos for corporate sponsors or what not but the bolded is a reach.
Gold: 4.20
Jun 13 2017 06:41pm
Quote (ofthevoid @ Jun 14 2017 12:33am)
I'v been to a few gay pride parades and have never seen anything of this manner. Sure you might see some logos for corporate sponsors or what not but the bolded is a reach.

"Some logos for corporate sponsors". Ha ha ha

Good one! The reality is that, increasingly, corporations are the largest contingents of the parades, and many of whom (The big banks, Nike, etc) who directly contribute to the oppression that Pride's origins were opposed to. Some Prides of major cities are actually sponsored and organized by for-profit corporations.

In addition, entire police departments have contingents within the parades, and they're asked to fulfill the role of security.

This post was edited by Handcuffs on Jun 13 2017 06:48pm
Gold: 2,504.69
Jun 13 2017 07:07pm
Quote (Handcuffs @ Jun 13 2017 06:41pm)

Good one! The reality is that, increasingly, corporations are the largest contingents of the parades, and many of whom (The big banks, Nike, etc) who directly contribute to the oppression that Pride's origins were opposed to. Some Prides of major cities are actually sponsored and organized by for-profit corporations.

In addition, entire police departments have contingents within the parades, and they're asked to fulfill the role of security.

just makes me think of Pepsi's cheap attempt to capitalize on the protests and modern civil rights issues. fucking icky stuff when people who wouldn't have stopped to piss on you if you were on fire all of a sudden see you as a dollar sign.
Jun 13 2017 07:19pm
Quote (thesnipa @ Jun 14 2017 01:07am)
just makes me think of Pepsi's cheap attempt to capitalize on the protests and modern civil rights issues. fucking icky stuff when people who wouldn't have stopped to piss on you if you were on fire all of a sudden see you as a dollar sign.

Definitely. The so-called "benevolent capitalism" and "social entrepreneurship" that corporations are trying to inject themselves with is just a bunch of buzz words and a pig in lipstick.
Gold: 500.00
Jun 13 2017 07:21pm
Quote (thesnipa @ Jun 13 2017 08:07pm)

i'm reminded of
Gold: 2,504.69
Jun 13 2017 07:22pm
Quote (Handcuffs @ Jun 13 2017 07:19pm)
Definitely. The so-called "benevolent capitalism" and "social entrepreneurship" that corporations are trying to inject themselves with is just a bunch of buzz words and a pig in lipstick.

yup, i'm waiting for big tobacco and big pharma to buy out and coopt the legal pot movement after decades of lobbying directly against them. Maybe prison guards will get security jobs on pot farms and turn a 180 as well for that cash...

Quote (duffman316 @ Jun 13 2017 07:21pm)

jesus. i've got a few similar pairs in a garbage bag in the garage if anyone's interested for 100$, on sale!

This post was edited by thesnipa on Jun 13 2017 07:22pm
Gold: 12,252.00
Jun 13 2017 10:19pm
Quote (Handcuffs @ Jun 13 2017 05:41pm)

What you say it all true but the parade organizers which represent the gay community are more than willing to accept money from these corporate sponsors. And yes police do guard these parades, i'm confused.... wouldn't you want that though?
Jun 13 2017 10:31pm
Quote (ofthevoid @ Jun 14 2017 04:19am)
What you say it all true but the parade organizers which represent the gay community are more than willing to accept money from these corporate sponsors. And yes police do guard these parades, i'm confused.... wouldn't you want that though?

Bolded: And that's exactly the issue, and is one (of many) issues that are being addressed within the community itself. There's a major divide within the community between folks who are of the position of equality through assimilation, and folks who are of liberation through change/resistance.

As for the police, the demands that have been made by intra-community protests have been a reasonable balance, I think. They've asked that the police not be given a contingent within the parade, and that uniformed police presence should be minimized to just the levels of necessary precautions. And that, further, Pride should be critical of abuse of police power which still affects queer people to this day, and to critique/dismantle systems of oppression that the police are connected to. It's not to say that Pride shouldn't have police security though.

This post was edited by Handcuffs on Jun 13 2017 10:35pm
Gold: 200.83
Jun 14 2017 01:39am
Quote (Handcuffs @ Jun 13 2017 04:29pm)
Pride originated as an event to commemorate the anniversary of the Stonewall Riots, a riot that ignited due to police and state brutality towards queer people, especially trans/queer people of color. Namely, Marsha P. Johnson and Silvia Rivera are credited for starting what would go down in infamy that night.

Since that time, Pride has of course evolved and grown, but many say that it has grown increasingly disconnected from its roots, and that the rampant corporatism and police apologist attitudes riddled throughout Pride and within the larger community exist in direct opposition to these roots. Rightfully, BLM (and many other groups) have interrupted Pride parades all over as an act of resistance to this shift and to call-out the community at large.

the reason for a parade can evolve over time as a society does, there's little reason for homosexuals to be afraid of the police any more than heterosexuals and it doesn't seem logical to not want police supporting the parade. I also don't see why homosexuals should have something against support from companies, is this just some Marxism?

BLM is actively attempting to stop police and gays from bridging gaps by forcing this separation, especially stopping gay police officers from celebrating. What is BLM trying to achieve with this? Isn't a sense of community and making connections more important than issues of the past?
Go Back To Political & Religious Debate Topic List
Prev16566676869530Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll