d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > General Chat > Political & Religious Debate > European Union News > What's Up In The Eu.
Prev1652653654655656668Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 3.33
Jun 18 2024 12:37pm
The far right is rising in Europe (and in the UK with Reform) because both the centre right and centre left are pro mass migration. We are importing 1% of our entire population per year in the UK, mostly work and student visas handed out like candy. It's an absolute dereliction of duty of successive governments to not listen to their people saying they don't want radical demographic shifts where the native population is crowded out, and are willing to sacrifice some GDP growth while we adjust our long term policies towards skilling up our own workforce, investing in automation and AI so we don't need as much cheap labour, and establishing pro-parent policies to encourage more citizens to have children. Our governments import masses of cheap labour because it's politically expedient to do so - they'd rather do that than devise and implement long term strategies that are hard, and to tell businesses to fuck off and invest more in capital and skills instead of taking the easy option. As many of you will know, I've always been pro-immigration when it was mainly Europeans coming into the UK that worked for a number of years and mostly returned home, but now SINCE Brexit we're taking in 3x more and instead of Europeans we're bringing in Indians, Nigerians, Chinese and Middle Eastern people, and the proportion of them bringing dependents who are more of a drain on public services and infrastructure is far higher than with European migrants. According to the 2001 census, the White British population of the UK was 91% and the foreign born population was around 6%. In 2021, White British make up just 74% of the total population, and the foreign-born population has more than doubled. We are one of the most tolerant and inclusive societies in the world, but enough is enough now.
Gold: 12,075.00
Jun 18 2024 12:49pm
Quote (dro94 @ Jun 18 2024 02:37pm)
The far right is rising in Europe (and in the UK with Reform) because both the centre right and centre left are pro mass migration. We are importing 1% of our entire population per year in the UK, mostly work and student visas handed out like candy. It's an absolute dereliction of duty of successive governments to not listen to their people saying they don't want radical demographic shifts where the native population is crowded out, and are willing to sacrifice some GDP growth while we adjust our long term policies towards skilling up our own workforce, investing in automation and AI so we don't need as much cheap labour, and establishing pro-parent policies to encourage more citizens to have children. Our governments import masses of cheap labour because it's politically expedient to do so - they'd rather do that than devise and implement long term strategies that are hard, and to tell businesses to fuck off and invest more in capital and skills instead of taking the easy option. As many of you will know, I've always been pro-immigration when it was mainly Europeans coming into the UK that worked for a number of years and mostly returned home, but now SINCE Brexit we're taking in 3x more and instead of Europeans we're bringing in Indians, Nigerians, Chinese and Middle Eastern people, and the proportion of them bringing dependents who are more of a drain on public services and infrastructure is far higher than with European migrants. According to the 2001 census, the White British population of the UK was 91% and the foreign born population was around 6%. In 2021, White British make up just 74% of the total population, and the foreign-born population has more than doubled. We are one of the most tolerant and inclusive societies in the world, but enough is enough now.

I have a fair amount of family members who were born in eastern Europe and live part-time in western Europe. The beauty is most of these people work in western Europe, a lot of time in low-medium income jobs and then go back to eastern Europe and spend that money, without being a serious drag on western welfare and this happens year after year. The culture clash between Balkans/Slavs vs western Europeans is also fairly minimal vs western Eur. vs ME or Africans, and really, this isn't racist and should be easy to say out load but in our current climate people pretend it's not so.

What you said has been a concern for many years and it's a concern that keeps getting largely ignored until it boils over into what we see today and probably will get much worse. Your country and many other cushy western ones are headed towards native born ethnic brits, French, Germans , Dutch to probably represent <50% in a generation or two. Couple that with over-regulation & economic stagnation and unwillingness to cut cushy social benefits (see France) and it's a pretty bleak outlook. Why does it have to get to open & wide spread xenophobia and wide scale economic stagnation before politicians start to take these concerns seriously?
Gold: 4,404.67
Jun 18 2024 12:59pm
Quote (dro94 @ 18 Jun 2024 20:37)

It's almost as if the Tories were intentionally sabotaging Brexit all along. -_-

On the more general point: I don't know what Western government are smoking with regard to immigration. Closing the European borders and defending them with any means necessary will become inevitable in the not so distant future anyway. According to official UN projections, Africa's population will double from 1.2 billion in 2020 to 2.5 billion by 2050. That corrsponds to an average population growth of 700k addtional people per week for the next three decades (and it won't stop in 2050 either). And that's not a projection too far into the future; a big chunk of the cohort of mothers for this population growth has already been born.

Quote (ofthevoid @ 18 Jun 2024 20:49)
Why does it have to get to open & wide spread xenophobia and wide scale economic stagnation before politicians start to take these concerns seriously?

Because short term profits for the multinational corporations and the donor class trump all other concerns of our politicians.

This post was edited by Black XistenZ on Jun 18 2024 01:01pm
Jun 18 2024 03:01pm
Agreed, both.

I was listening a podcast the other week about the 2024 US Presidential election and how the business lobby groups were no longer openly pro-immigration, despite extremely hardline rhetoric from Trump about not just stopping immigration but actively deporting people. In past elections, the business lobby groups were so pro-immigration that both parties would adopt pro-immigration policies, and the podcast hosts speculated as to why they were no longer advocating for those policies. They concluded that this is because US businesses no longer need as much cheap labour, due to record levels of investment in automation and AI that is replacing these jobs.

No doubt, Europe is far behind America in this regard, and if we were able to invest to the same extent, we may have closed the doors sooner. But in the coming decades, there will be the highest demand to enter our countries, coupled with the lowest demand for their cheap labour from our countries. This, along with the population explosion in Africa and an increasingly fractious geopolitical environment, points to the migration crisis getting far worse than it already is.

I'm still not close to the stage yet where I'd vote for a party like Reform over Labour, because their policies on most things except immigration are nuts and I'm not a single issue voter. But God, I fear we'll end up like France soon.

This post was edited by dro94 on Jun 18 2024 03:02pm
Jun 18 2024 04:43pm
Quote (dro94 @ Jun 18 2024 05:01pm)
Agreed, both.

I was listening a podcast the other week about the 2024 US Presidential election and how the business lobby groups were no longer openly pro-immigration, despite extremely hardline rhetoric from Trump about not just stopping immigration but actively deporting people. In past elections, the business lobby groups were so pro-immigration that both parties would adopt pro-immigration policies, and the podcast hosts speculated as to why they were no longer advocating for those policies. They concluded that this is because US businesses no longer need as much cheap labour, due to record levels of investment in automation and AI that is replacing these jobs.

No doubt, Europe is far behind America in this regard, and if we were able to invest to the same extent, we may have closed the doors sooner. But in the coming decades, there will be the highest demand to enter our countries, coupled with the lowest demand for their cheap labour from our countries. This, along with the population explosion in Africa and an increasingly fractious geopolitical environment, points to the migration crisis getting far worse than it already is.

I'm still not close to the stage yet where I'd vote for a party like Reform over Labour, because their policies on most things except immigration are nuts and I'm not a single issue voter. But God, I fear we'll end up like France soon.

The other factor, global warming, that assuming if equatorial/sub equatorial regions become increasingly unlivable, even more people may be streaming up north to Europe (can’t really go south because way lower land mass and also underdeveloped).

I really hope this doesn’t happen but if hundreds of millions stream into Europe, it may look like some dystopian film with widespread poverty/street encampments. We’re obviously far from something like this but migration patterns have to be seriously addressed soon, not in 20 years when Europe added 200 million in inflows

This post was edited by ofthevoid on Jun 18 2024 04:45pm
Jun 19 2024 10:06am
Quote (Goomshill @ 19 Jun 2024 05:20)

Jean-Pierre and Francois going at it again.

Quote (ofthevoid @ 19 Jun 2024 00:43)
The other factor, global warming, that assuming if equatorial/sub equatorial regions become increasingly unlivable, even more people may be streaming up north to Europe (can’t really go south because way lower land mass and also underdeveloped).

I really hope this doesn’t happen but if hundreds of millions stream into Europe, it may look like some dystopian film with widespread poverty/street encampments. We’re obviously far from something like this but migration patterns have to be seriously addressed soon, not in 20 years when Europe added 200 million in inflows

Imho, wars for living space are inevitable in the coming decades, and the sooner we realize and accept this reality and prepare accordingly, the better. Also, Europe is kinda full. The more logical pressure valve for the stream of people from the global south whose homes become uninhabitable would be the vast, empty lands up north in Canada and Siberia. Well, good luck with the latter. If anyone annexes Siberia, it'll be the Chinese, not the Pakistanis or Ethiopians.

This post was edited by Black XistenZ on Jun 19 2024 10:08am
Jun 19 2024 11:29am
Quote (Black XistenZ @ Jun 19 2024 12:06pm)
Jean-Pierre and Francois going at it again.

Imho, wars for living space are inevitable in the coming decades, and the sooner we realize and accept this reality and prepare accordingly, the better. Also, Europe is kinda full. The more logical pressure valve for the stream of people from the global south whose homes become uninhabitable would be the vast, empty lands up north in Canada and Siberia. Well, good luck with the latter. If anyone annexes Siberia, it'll be the Chinese, not the Pakistanis or Ethiopians.

I think the real areas at risk of displacement are large swaths of Africa and south Asia. Neither of those IMO are on their way to Canada or Siberia (a select few rich Indians are finding their way west though). China with the demographic issues don't think is at risk IMO.

This post was edited by ofthevoid on Jun 19 2024 11:34am
Jun 19 2024 11:35am
Quote (ofthevoid @ 19 Jun 2024 19:29)
I think the real areas at risk of displacement are large swaths of Africa and south Asia. Neither of those IMO are on their way to Canada or Siberia. China with the demographic issues don't think is at risk IMO.

Sure, the pressure will mostly be funneled toward Europe and the US due to geographic factors. I'm just saying: if hundreds of millions of people can no longer sustain their livelihood in South Asia or Africa, the place where resettlement would make by far the most sense in theory would be Canada and Siberia. Totally not gonna happen though.
Jun 19 2024 02:32pm
Quote (ofthevoid @ Jun 18 2024 11:43pm)

Yeah, I think we'll get a handle of it at some point, but it will be too late. Too many will be in our countries, too many will be able to vote and put political pressure on us from within.

Eastern Europe really did amazing on this compared to Western Europe. Look at Poland or Hungary, with 98%+ native population, rising living standards, decent birth rate, while being open to tourists and democratic.

Clearly, migrants generally aren't as interested in going there so they haven't had it as hard as us, but it's still admirable.

In 20 years, Brits might want to move to Poland!
Go Back To Political & Religious Debate Topic List
Prev1652653654655656668Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll