d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > General Chat > Political & Religious Debate > Got Questions About God? > #1 Can You Really Trust The Bible?
Prev1636465666778Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 11,700.00
May 14 2013 06:03pm
Quote (dajusta @ 14 May 2013 23:53)
They try to be Christians, though they make mistakes and succumb to immoral behaviour.  It's a lapse in judgement and a disobedience to God.  We all do it - I am no exception.  Another point is being proud of sinning.  That is a clear disobedience to God and if someone is indeed proud of sinning then they (in my opinion) are no longer a follower of Christ.  I do not judge them, I only judge myself.
one has to wonder what the christian population on this world is under that definition then  :D
Post-modernism is a rejection of modernism and some of its merits.  So to understand post-modernity, you'd have to fully realize the constructs of modernity that is seemingly oppressive (or just inconvenient).  Government, traditional law, scientific precision, modern reason and logic, those things oppose what the new generation of thinking is, so it gives rise to post-modernism which is distrust in government, not keeping to traditional law, science is not the end all and be all, and modern reasoning and logic are questioned.
How does Christianity vanish?  It will not.  The approach of religion and spirituality will just change.  As I have said before, the theology does not change but the religion (superficial things) will change.  The post-modern mindset will put value in experience, testimonials, spiritual understanding, personal freedom, etc.  There will be positive changes and negative changes, but overall, Christianity will not die out.  People thought evolution and scientific discovery would bury God, that is totally not true either.

seems someone of your favourite authors grabbed a word he/she saw somewhere and redefined it for his/her purposes
while post-modernism is a term used in many fields, the philosophical usage implies eg the denial of absolute truth
now imagine how that works for faith - clearly a different terminology at use
Gold: 10,042.00
May 14 2013 06:11pm
Quote (brmv @ May 14 2013 05:03pm)
seems someone of your favourite authors grabbed a word he/she saw somewhere and redefined it for his/her purposes
while post-modernism is a term used in many fields, the philosophical usage implies eg the denial of absolute truth
now imagine how that works for faith - clearly a different terminology at use

The Christian population are sinners. That is the word I would use, and the word they would use too.

You are right! One of the facets of post-modernism IS rejection of absolute truth. This is the grey area we are in this very day. People will tell each other their own truths, and perhaps even make truths for each other. This is a negative thing plaguing the church and it is a cancer. The only hope I have is that people will eventually see the dangers of embracing relativity and choose otherwise. If you have been keeping up with me, it's the one thing I bring up the most. I tend to ask people "who determines morality", and "is there absolute morality"? These are my methods in combating the post-modern view of moral relativism.
May 14 2013 07:57pm
Quote (dajusta @ 15 May 2013 00:11)
The Christian population are sinners.  That is the word I would use, and the word they would use too.
good that you agree that the world is full of christian sinners - why are they sitting on the moral high horse then?
You are right!  One of the facets of post-modernism IS rejection of absolute truth.  This is the grey area we are in this very day.  People will tell each other their own truths, and perhaps even make truths for each other.  This is a negative thing plaguing the church and it is a cancer.  The only hope I have is that people will eventually see the dangers of embracing relativity and choose otherwise.  If you have been keeping up with me, it's the one thing I bring up the most.  I tend to ask people "who determines morality", and "is there absolute morality"?  These are my methods in combating the post-modern view of moral relativism.

just for your information, we do not live in a post-modern time
the post-modernism philosophical movement has been discredited (or rather their ideas have been refuted) by neo-hegelians and others
claiming that the world lives by it's views is more than an overstatement
but the times are changing (as always) and morality is currently in a state of flux, serving the religion of greed
Gold: 722.53
Warn: 10%
May 14 2013 08:03pm
"Post-modernism is a rejection of modernism and some of its merits. So to understand post-modernity, you'd have to fully realize the constructs of modernity that is seemingly oppressive (or just inconvenient)."

/George W Bush
Gold: 9,039.20
May 14 2013 08:04pm
Quote (AEtheric @ May 14 2013 08:03pm)
"Post-modernism is a rejection of modernism and some of its merits.  So to understand post-modernity, you'd have to fully realize the constructs of modernity that is seemingly oppressive (or just inconvenient)."

/George W Bush

:drool:
Gold: 722.53
Warn: 10%
May 14 2013 08:06pm
Quote (killgoreisleet @ May 14 2013 08:04pm)
:drool:

Compare:

"Tribal sovereignty means that; it's sovereign. I mean, you're a -- you've been given sovereignty, and you're viewed as a sovereign entity. And therefore the relationship between the federal government and tribes is one between sovereign entities." --Washington, D.C., Aug. 6, 2004 (Watch video clip)
Gold: 0.00
May 14 2013 11:04pm
now i understand why you need a god, seems you are inherently evil - So shall you also be inherently evil.
you must speak from your own experience - I have also seen it in others, not just me.
since there are so many giving free bibles away, it's difficult not to hear about jesus - but somehow i suspect that that is not what you mean So therefore nobody is without excuse. When you die you cannot say that you never heard about Jesus.

Quote (brmv @ May 14 2013 04:45pm)
let me assume for one moment that you actually meant 'believing in' rather than 'hearing about'
then i can answer your question with: because that person believes in loving one's enemies without being a christian, could be buddhist or baha'i or a few other religions as well

just because you need your religion to keep you away from crime and doing evil doesn't mean the same applies to everyone
voltaire must have thought of people like you when he stated 'if god did not exist, it would be necessary to invent him'

Whether you know it or not, whether you believe it or not your life has been affected by Jesus. You will deny it but you have come into contact with other Christians in your life I'm sure.
You seen how they act and how they wouldn't do the wrong thing. You copied some of their actions from time to time? I don't know for sure but I can be sure that you know some real life Christians in your life.

You keep coming back to this thread, if you truly didn't believe you wouldn't come back to this thread. You are taking time out of your free time to take the time to come in here and talk about Jesus and God.
That in itself is 'evidence' that your life has been changed by Jesus. I can tell all that from the words that you type in here.

Quote (N1ccolo @ May 14 2013 05:52pm)
Care to offer any evidence? By this logic, literally all non-religious people "never do good"

Forgive me if I'm mistaken, but didn't I link you to a list of 10+ pre-Christian world views that called on the people to love their enemies a week or so ago? Maybe it was a reply to dajusta, I don't recall, but I dug it up again:

http://www.unification.net/ws/theme144.htm

Most of them don't consider Jesus divine and some do not require a deity at all. Socrates (via Plato) also argues it's not just to harm anyone in the Republic, beginning with Polemarchus defining justice as "doing good to friends and evil to enemies" where, after some discussion, Socrates ends with "We have discovered that, in no instance, is it just to injure anybody"

What kind of evidence are you looking for? Do you want me to shout out a Bible verse where this is the case? Or would you rather me shout out a real life example of somebody who is like this? *cough* Tristan Barker *cough*

Before Abraham was, I am as it states in John 8:58.

So you've given quotes from other religions about loving enemies. Is there somebody who stands out in that religion who lived all those laws perfectly and practised what they taught? Is there somebody in all those religions who was the avatar of forming that belief?

In Christianity I can give you the name of Jesus, the Bible is littered with examples of Jesus loving those who hated him and showed grace where all others showed hatred.
May 15 2013 02:10am
Quote (CPK001 @ 15 May 2013 05:04)
Whether you know it or not, whether you believe it or not your life has been affected by Jesus. You will deny it but you have come into contact with other Christians in your life I'm sure.
oh yes, sometimes they are forming a bee-line in front of our door, quite a potpourri i have to say: mainly mormons and seventh day adventists with the odd pepper and salt of salvation army and some crazy baptist sects thrown in - some of the latter even have me accosted on a parking lot to tell me what a wonderful new church they have
You seen how they act and how they wouldn't do the wrong thing. You copied some of their actions from time to time? I don't know for sure but I can be sure that you know some real life Christians in your life.
they certainly did do the wrong thing by disturbing my peace, so no i didn't follow their example - actually, apart from the examples given cannot be sure, where i live people do not have their faith burnt into their forehead
You keep coming back to this thread, if you truly didn't believe you wouldn't come back to this thread. You are taking time out of your free time to take the time to come in here and talk about Jesus and God.
you are an interesting subject for anthropological studies (there must be a nest: you, 'dajusta' & 'Ylem122') - but it's mainly for entertainment, always happy to see what new angles in being illogical you can find

the rest of your post shows that you not even dared to open the link 'N1ccolo' provided - you clearly fear the truth

This post was edited by brmv on May 15 2013 02:11am
Gold: 655.00
May 15 2013 02:15am
Quote (CPK001 @ May 15 2013 01:04am)

That in itself is 'evidence' that your life has been changed by Jesus. I can tell all that from the words that you type in here.

What kind of evidence are you looking for? Do you want me to shout out a Bible verse where this is the case? Or would you rather me shout out a real life example of somebody who is like this? *cough* Tristan Barker *cough*

Before Abraham was, I am as it states in John 8:58.

So you've given quotes from other religions about loving enemies. Is there somebody who stands out in that religion who lived all those laws perfectly and practised what they taught? Is there somebody in all those religions who was the avatar of forming that belief?

In Christianity I can give you the name of Jesus, the Bible is littered with examples of Jesus loving those who hated him and showed grace where all others showed hatred.

the guys a troll, as you can tell by his hatred for religion and facisnation with this thread along with the generalness of his statements that allows for continued goal post moving, best to just ignore him

This post was edited by Ylem122 on May 15 2013 02:20am
Gold: 0.00
May 15 2013 05:32am
oh yes, sometimes they are forming a bee-line in front of our door, quite a potpourri i have to say: mainly mormons and seventh day adventists with the odd pepper and salt of salvation army and some crazy baptist sects thrown in - some of the latter even have me accosted on a parking lot to tell me what a wonderful new church they have
they certainly did do the wrong thing by disturbing my peace, so no i didn't follow their example - actually, apart from the examples given cannot be sure, where i live people do not have their faith burnt into their forehead
you are an interesting subject for anthropological studies (there must be a nest: you, 'dajusta' & 'Ylem122') - but it's mainly for entertainment, always happy to see what new angles in being illogical you can find

Oh yes, them to.
They did the wrong thing by disturbing your peace? So you think that warning you of the danger that you are headed towards is doing the wrong thing? If you were heading towards danger, wouldn't you like to know that you were? If for some reason you were drink driving and you were unknowingly headed towards an RBT, wouldn't you like to be warned that you were headed towards an RBT where you would be caught drink driving? Or would you rather fall into the danger and suffer the consequences that you deserve?
Oh but I'm not illogical, I'm very logical. I am logical because I heard the word and I was like the guy who built his house on the rock. The rain came down, the streams rose, and the winds blew and beat against that house; yet it did not fall, because it had its foundation on the rock.
However it sounds to me from what I can pick up that you heard the word but you did not listen so you built your house on the sand. The rain came down, the streams rose, and the winds blew and beat against that house, and it fell with a great crash.

Quote (brmv @ May 15 2013 06:10pm)
the rest of your post shows that you not even dared to open the link 'N1ccolo' provided - you clearly fear the truth

The rest of my post was direct at N1ccolo.

Quote (Ylem122 @ May 15 2013 06:15pm)
the guys a troll, as you can tell by his hatred for religion and facisnation with this thread along with the generalness of his statements that allows for continued goal post moving, best to just ignore him

Who is 'the guy?' Are you talking to me about brmv's hatred for religion and fascination with this thread along with the generalness of his statements that allows for continued goal post moving?
Go Back To Political & Religious Debate Topic List
Prev1636465666778Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll