d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > General Chat > Political & Religious Debate > Coronavirus Thread
Prev1630631632633634910Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 260.11
Aug 8 2020 01:10pm
Quote (Black XistenZ @ Aug 8 2020 01:10pm)
Two reasons:

- Trump is a moron
- really disastrous communication by the WHO, the CDC and others. First, they told the public not to wear masks because they were supposed to be inefficient. Then, they did a U-turn and suddenly masks were considered super effective and everyone was supposed to wear one. That this type of communication would trigger those parts of the population who are predisposed to distrust officials and believe in conspiracy theories is really no surprise. And even among the non-nutty folks, a lot of them easily saw through the disingenuous initial communcation, understood that the "dont wear masks"-message was a lie intended to save limited supplies for healthcare workers.

Quote (Bazi @ Aug 8 2020 01:41pm)
Were there actual statements early on that actually stated masks don’t help? If I recall correctly this rhetoric was pubic knowledge because the reality was there was a dire shortage of masks available in hospitals (aka it was clear that message was don’t wear masks so healthcare providers can)

I've pointed this out like 3 times but he keeps repeating the lie.
Gold: 14,569.69
Aug 8 2020 01:11pm
Quote (Bazi @ Aug 8 2020 11:41am)
Were there actual statements early on that actually stated masks don’t help? If I recall correctly this rhetoric was pubic knowledge because the reality was there was a dire shortage of masks available in hospitals (aka it was clear that message was don’t wear masks so healthcare providers can)

My spin on it is that at first they really didn't understand how airborne it was. I think they assumed it was "doorknob to doorknob" stuff like a flu.. They stated "masks not needed"
When they switched to "masks will help you"
They did a terrible job of just being honest.
1. Some % of this is to get PPE to healthcare workers
2. We didn't realize we were wrong in our first assessment.
3. Maks help in this way, but are not 100% effective. Lets do our best.
$. WH still calling it not a thing, and pushing the political side.
Led to a big debate. Again treating the entire population like total idiots lead to trust issues.
Aug 8 2020 01:16pm
Quote (theCrossbones @ Aug 8 2020 02:11pm)
My spin on it is that at first they really didn't understand how airborne it was. I think they assumed it was "doorknob to doorknob" stuff like a flu.. They stated "masks not needed"
When they switched to "masks will help you"
They did a terrible job of just being honest.
1. Some % of this is to get PPE to healthcare workers
2. We didn't realize we were wrong in our first assessment.
3. Maks help in this way, but are not 100% effective. Lets do our best.
$. WH still calling it not a thing, and pushing the political side.
Led to a big debate. Again treating the entire population like total idiots lead to trust issues.

The other issue is we didn't realize how many people were spreading it without symptoms, so mass deployment of masks wasn't seen as necessary. Once asymptomatic spread was clear it was also clear that we should have masks for the general population.

For something like SARS that always has symptoms when you are contagious mass mask wearing isn't needed because the average person isn't spreading it. But when the average person is spreading it without symptoms then everybody needs to wear a mask because you can't be sure you don't have it.
Gold: 4,921.71
Aug 8 2020 01:59pm

I mean even if they said we don’t think masks help you, in March, a large body of evidence has come out since this time that has demonstrated the benefits of mask wearing, specifically in regards to covid and not just other respiratory illnesses. Not to mention we have confirmed the spread is largely extended respiratory droplet, and have bodies of data across the world on how to prevent spread by droplets.

Classic example of different levels of accountability for different fields. Fauci wasn’t crystal clear because he was responding to Data as it was coming out, and still has remained relatively consistent in his message. I don’t think anyone is daft enough that Trump’s hypocrisy, inconsistencies, and flat out lies have to be referenced.

You accept when you’re wrong and make the next best decision on the evidence you have. This is all you can do. I was wrong in January when I stated I didn’t think it was a big deal. I was wrong 5 months ago when we were giving hydroxychloroquine to patients. It was survival mode and everyone was freaked out after watching Italy literally fall apart. Right now we are giving, steroids, remdesivir, anticoagulation, and plasma to patients... in several months this also may be outdated as we are literally changing treatment algorithms on a weekly/monthly basis.

And back to point I still think it was clear they were telling the public not to wear masks so that healthcare providers can get them. Haven’t seen anything yet to argue against this. the shortage of PPE certainly wasn’t kept a secret to media, and certainly wasn’t a lie.

This post was edited by Bazi on Aug 8 2020 02:07pm
Aug 8 2020 02:10pm
Quote (Bazi @ Aug 8 2020 02:59pm)
^thor123422
^thecrossbones
I mean even if they said we don’t think masks help you, in March, a large body of evidence has come out since this time that has demonstrated the benefits of mask wearing, specifically in regards to covid and not just other respiratory illnesses. Not to mention we have confirmed the spread is largely extended respiratory droplet, and have bodies of data across the world on how to prevent spread by droplets.
Classic example of different levels of accountability for different fields. Fauci wasn’t crystal clear because he was responding to Data as it was coming out, and still has remained relatively consistent in his message. I don’t think anyone is daft enough that Trump’s hypocrisy, inconsistencies, and flat out lies have to be referenced.
You accept when you’re wrong and make the next best decision on the evidence you have. This is all you can do. I was wrong in January when I stated I didn’t think it was a big deal. I was wrong 5 months ago when we were giving hydroxychloroquine to patients. It was survival mode and everyone was freaked out after watching Italy literally fall apart. Right now we are giving, steroids, remdesivir, anticoagulation, and plasma to patients... in several months this also may be outdated as we are literally changing treatment algorithms on a weekly/monthly basis.
And back to point I still think it was clear they were telling the public not to wear masks so that healthcare providers can get them. Haven’t seen anything yet to argue against this. the shortage of PPE certainly wasn’t kept a secret to media, and certainly wasn’t a lie.

Confused on what your contention is.

I was saying that I've pointed out the shortage issue and asymptomatic spread issue to XistenZ multiple times but he keeps saying the same thing, that the "experts" made a U turn on mask effectiveness when really they were responding to circumstance and evidence.

This post was edited by Thor123422 on Aug 8 2020 02:10pm
Gold: 4,921.71
Aug 8 2020 02:11pm
Quote (Thor123422 @ Aug 8 2020 03:10pm)
Confused on what your contention is.

I was saying that I've pointed out the shortage issue and asymptomatic spread issue to XistenZ multiple times but he keeps saying the same thing, that the "experts" made a U turn on mask effectiveness when really they were responding to circumstance.

Was mainly just agreeing
Gold: 10,069.69
Aug 8 2020 02:13pm
Does anyone even know someone with corona?
Aug 8 2020 02:13pm
Quote (SmallBalls @ Aug 8 2020 03:13pm)

Yes lol

This post was edited by Thor123422 on Aug 8 2020 02:14pm
Gold: 72.50
Aug 8 2020 02:14pm
Quote (SmallBalls @ 8 Aug 2020 22:13)

only 2 who were tested and had it
Gold: 10,069.69
Aug 8 2020 02:14pm
Quote (Thor123422 @ 8 Aug 2020 16:13)
Yes lol

Must be americans
Quote (trader @ 8 Aug 2020 16:14)
only 2 who were tested and had it

Go Back To Political & Religious Debate Topic List
Prev1630631632633634910Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll