d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > General Chat > Political & Religious Debate > Coronavirus Thread
Prev1629630631632633910Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 4,404.67
Aug 8 2020 07:45am
Quote (SylvesterStallone @ 8 Aug 2020 15:35)
all I'm saying is,
we had vaccine for flu, people were getting them regularly, in 5 mil people country, 60k ended up with flu
we have no vaccine for covid, therefore people can't get vaccine, in 5 mil people country, we have 5k cases up to this date

I'm not arguing anything or anyone nor I'm speculating anything with some poorly elaborated conspiracy theories. I'm just giving you numbers and facts.
:)

You are one tiny country that had a good outcome so far. This does not mean that your numbers are in any way representative of the rest of the world. The numbers from other countries in the world are also facts, and they are far more relevant for estimating the lethality or for assessing the dangerousness of the virus than numbers from Croatia alone. Croatia is nothing but one lowly weighted data point that completely fades in the overall sample which is containing much larger countries like US/BR/RU/UK/GER/FR/ESP/IT/etc.
Gold: 69.69
Warn: 30%
Aug 8 2020 07:49am
Quote (Black XistenZ @ Aug 8 2020 02:45pm)
You are one tiny country that had a good outcome so far. This does not mean that your numbers are in any way representative of the rest of the world. The numbers from other countries in the world are also facts, and they are far more relevant for estimating the lethality or for assessing the dangerousness of the virus than numbers from Croatia alone. Croatia is nothing but one lowly weighted data point that completely fades in the overall sample which is containing much larger countries like US/BR/RU/UK/GER/FR/ESP/IT/etc.

yeah, 100%
but then again, the thing you are not putting into ur calculations, is that borders between italy/slovenia and slovenia/croatia were still opened for a while after outbreak in italy.
and northern italy in which the outbreak was not a joke, is 2 hours by car from croatian borders.
free movement with highly infected area between countries.
still sitting on 5k

I mean, I don't even live in Croatia for years now regarding it being my country of origin but it doesn't change the fact of how I feel about it or read daily about things happening there.
I'm in Ireland at the moment, that is isolated from the rest of the world as it's an island. Still it has 5 times much more cases and 15 times more deaths than croatia.

my point is, if shit goes down, move to croatia buddy :D
Aug 8 2020 07:55am
Quote (SylvesterStallone @ 8 Aug 2020 15:49)
yeah, 100%
but then again, the thing you are not putting into ur calculations, is that borders between italy/slovenia and slovenia/croatia were still opened for a while after outbreak in italy.
and northern italy in which the outbreak was not a joke, is 2 hours by car from croatian borders.
free movement with highly infected area between countries.
still sitting on 5k

I mean, I don't even live in Croatia for years now regarding it being my country of origin but it doesn't change the fact of how I feel about it or read daily about things happening there.
I'm in Ireland at the moment, that is isolated from the rest of the world as it's an island. Still it has 5 times much more cases and 15 times more deaths than croatia.

my point is, if shit goes down, move to croatia buddy :D

Open borders dont matter for the spread of the virus if no infected persons cross them. There probably was little movement across the Italy-Slovenia/Croatia borders, particularly since the epicenter of the outbreak in Italy was in central Northern Italy, not in the far north-eastern corner where this border lies. Furthermore, it has to be assumed that international travelers and Chinese workers brought the virus to Northern Italy, and both groups had little reason to travel from Italy to the Balkans.

That being said, I love Croatia, it's beautiful and kicks ass! :)

This post was edited by Black XistenZ on Aug 8 2020 07:55am
Gold: 4,921.71
Aug 8 2020 07:57am
Quote (Black XistenZ @ Aug 8 2020 08:37am)
Let me make this clear once and for all: if we reopen schools, out of the millions of schoolkids, tens of thousands will get infected, and a handful of them will die. I never denied this. My point all along has been that it is still worth it. We are in a position where "acceptable losses" must be dealt with. This is of course a viewpoint that would be politically toxic (see my previous point about hysteric Karen moms) and is very hard to communicate to the public without committing political suicide. It's still the truth.

Problem doesn’t stop there, but rather all those infected kids who will then spread to classrooms, and everyone will take it back to mom dad and families. Teachers will get sick and be out for lengths of time, at a time there is already a teacher shortage in this country. There is also a shortage of substitute teachers in this country - so when inevitably a sub par sub comes to teach your kids and infection risk is still persistent, the question potentially becomes, is there a point to that

Regardless, I don’t disagree that schools need to open. The conversation just has to shift to how to do this as effectively and responsibly as possible.

This post was edited by Bazi on Aug 8 2020 08:01am
Aug 8 2020 08:01am
Quote (Bazi @ 8 Aug 2020 15:57)
I don’t disagree that schools need to open. The conversation just has to shift to how to do this as effectively and responsibly as possible.

Agreed. I might later post a translation of the proposals that Christian Drosten has recently made regarding this issue in German media. For those who dont know him: Christian Drosten is basically "Germany's Anthony Fauci", and he is one of the world's leading virologists. He was part of the group that developed the first test for SARS back in 2003 (they were quicker than the CDC), and he was also the one who developed the standard PCR test for Sars-Cov-2 (covid) that is now being used all around the world to detect the novel coronavirus.

This post was edited by Black XistenZ on Aug 8 2020 08:02am
Aug 8 2020 11:23am
Quote (Black XistenZ @ Aug 8 2020 09:01am)
Agreed. I might later post a translation of the proposals that Christian Drosten has recently made regarding this issue in German media. For those who dont know him: Christian Drosten is basically "Germany's Anthony Fauci", and he is one of the world's leading virologists. He was part of the group that developed the first test for SARS back in 2003 (they were quicker than the CDC), and he was also the one who developed the standard PCR test for Sars-Cov-2 (covid) that is now being used all around the world to detect the novel coronavirus.

The matter is more complicated by the anti mask brigade, it truly makes logical conversation impossible at times. My wife’s family is all middle class white Wisconsinites. Despite having 2 physicians in their family they still prefer to get their medical news off Twitter and are constantly spamming us, “have you tried this?!” “Why is the government forcing us to wear a mask?!” And sending various links for xyz plandemic or like videos

Pretty close to just blocking them all but girl is trying to educate them to no avail
Aug 8 2020 11:37am
Quote (Bazi @ 8 Aug 2020 19:23)
The matter is more complicated by the anti mask brigade, it truly makes logical conversation impossible at times. My wife’s family is all middle class white Wisconsinites. Despite having 2 physicians in their family they still prefer to get their medical news off Twitter and are constantly spamming us, “have you tried this?!” “Why is the government forcing us to wear a mask?!” And sending various links for xyz plandemic or like videos

Pretty close to just blocking them all but girl is trying to educate them to no avail

Masks are not a panacea anyway. They help, but it's not like "everyone wearing masks = everything is totally fine and under control" vs "some people not wearing masks = we're all gonna die".

And as bitter as it might be, we're not gonna cure the deep erosion of trust in authorities and mainstream media while this pandemic is going on. Which makes it all the more important for political and public health leadership to come to an agreement on a comprehensive plan and sticking to it. Which is probably where Trump has to bear the biggest blame when it comes to his handling of thge coronavirus. Politicizing the mask issue, and in turn all measures to contain it, is his biggest sin. Even bigger than the wasted time during the onset of the pandemic.

This post was edited by Black XistenZ on Aug 8 2020 11:38am
Aug 8 2020 12:04pm
Quote (Black XistenZ @ Aug 8 2020 12:37pm)
Masks are not a panacea anyway. They help, but it's not like "everyone wearing masks = everything is totally fine and under control" vs "some people not wearing masks = we're all gonna die".

And as bitter as it might be, we're not gonna cure the deep erosion of trust in authorities and mainstream media while this pandemic is going on. Which makes it all the more important for political and public health leadership to come to an agreement on a comprehensive plan and sticking to it. Which is probably where Trump has to bear the biggest blame when it comes to his handling of thge coronavirus. Politicizing the mask issue, and in turn all measures to contain it, is his biggest sin. Even bigger than the wasted time during the onset of the pandemic.

-Everyone wearing masks
-socially distance to the best of their abilities
-avoiding unnecessary parties/gatherings

Will certainly make a difference

I just don’t even know why politicizing masks ever even became a thing?
Aug 8 2020 12:10pm
Quote (Bazi @ 8 Aug 2020 20:04)
-Everyone wearing masks
-socially distance to the best of their abilities
-avoiding unnecessary parties/gatherings

Will certainly make a difference

I just don’t even know why politicizing masks ever even became a thing?

Two reasons:

- Trump is a moron
- really disastrous communication by the WHO, the CDC and others. First, they told the public not to wear masks because they were supposed to be inefficient. Then, they did a U-turn and suddenly masks were considered super effective and everyone was supposed to wear one. That this type of communication would trigger those parts of the population who are predisposed to distrust officials and believe in conspiracy theories is really no surprise. And even among the non-nutty folks, a lot of them easily saw through the disingenuous initial communcation, understood that the "dont wear masks"-message was a lie intended to save limited supplies for healthcare workers.
Aug 8 2020 12:41pm
Quote (Black XistenZ @ Aug 8 2020 01:10pm)
Two reasons:

- Trump is a moron
- really disastrous communication by the WHO, the CDC and others. First, they told the public not to wear masks because they were supposed to be inefficient. Then, they did a U-turn and suddenly masks were considered super effective and everyone was supposed to wear one. That this type of communication would trigger those parts of the population who are predisposed to distrust officials and believe in conspiracy theories is really no surprise. And even among the non-nutty folks, a lot of them easily saw through the disingenuous initial communcation, understood that the "dont wear masks"-message was a lie intended to save limited supplies for healthcare workers.

Were there actual statements early on that actually stated masks don’t help? If I recall correctly this rhetoric was pubic knowledge because the reality was there was a dire shortage of masks available in hospitals (aka it was clear that message was don’t wear masks so healthcare providers can)
Go Back To Political & Religious Debate Topic List
Prev1629630631632633910Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll