d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > General Chat > Political & Religious Debate > Got Questions About God? > #1 Can You Really Trust The Bible?
Prev1626364656678Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 0.00
May 13 2013 09:39pm
Quote (brmv @ May 14 2013 12:08am)
first sentence implies your faith into some 'creator of the universe' so it's a logical fallacy, first part of second sentence is just the same
there is no need for a god for there to be morals/ethics and an understanding of good and evil
is this understanding exactly the same for everyone you might ask - the answer is no
is this understanding exactly the same for all people in one congregation - the answer is no
is this understanding exactly the same for all christian denominations - the answer is no
is this understanding exactly the same for all religions - the answer is no

so, what are you on about

Yet without God, we would strive to do evil and never to good. We can understand good and evil but we would hardly ever do good.
You cannot love your enemies without hearing about Jesus. Explain to me how you can do that hmmm?

Quote (AEtheric @ May 14 2013 06:41am)
What? I have seen you say before that we already know good and evil, that is why we have original sin. And if Genesis is true, then we are already like God, 'Behold, he has become like one of us.'

Look where trying to play the role of God got us.
Gold: 11,700.00
May 14 2013 12:45am
Quote (CPK001 @ 14 May 2013 03:39)
Yet without God, we would strive to do evil and never to good. now i understand why you need a god, seems you are inherently evil  :P
We can understand good and evil but we would hardly ever do good. you must speak from your own experience
You cannot love your enemies without hearing about Jesus. since there are so many giving free bibles away, it's difficult not to hear about jesus - but somehow i suspect that that is not what you mean
Explain to me how you can do that hmmm?

let me assume for one moment that you actually meant 'believing in' rather than 'hearing about'
then i can answer your question with: because that person believes in loving one's enemies without being a christian, could be buddhist or baha'i or a few other religions as well

just because you need your religion to keep you away from crime and doing evil doesn't mean the same applies to everyone
voltaire must have thought of people like you when he stated 'if god did not exist, it would be necessary to invent him'
Gold: Locked
Trader: Scammer
May 14 2013 01:52am
Quote (CPK001 @ May 13 2013 11:39pm)
Yet without God, we would strive to do evil and never to good.

Care to offer any evidence? By this logic, literally all non-religious people "never do good"

You cannot love your enemies without hearing about Jesus.

Forgive me if I'm mistaken, but didn't I link you to a list of 10+ pre-Christian world views that called on the people to love their enemies a week or so ago? Maybe it was a reply to dajusta, I don't recall, but I dug it up again:

http://www.unification.net/ws/theme144.htm

Most of them don't consider Jesus divine and some do not require a deity at all. Socrates (via Plato) also argues it's not just to harm anyone in the Republic, beginning with Polemarchus defining justice as "doing good to friends and evil to enemies" where, after some discussion, Socrates ends with "We have discovered that, in no instance, is it just to injure anybody"
May 14 2013 04:04am
@
Quote (N1ccolo @ 14 May 2013 07:52)

thx for providing the link, while i was well aware that several scriptures cover that subject i could not be bothered to dig out the specifics
but will those quotes help?

since i quoted voltaire above, let me add two more quotes from him (just to warn you not to expect too much from having provided those linked quotes):

"the truths of religion are never so well understood as by those who have lost the power of reason" & "nothing can be more contrary to religion and the clergy than reason and common sense"
Gold: 10,042.00
May 14 2013 11:51am
Quote (brmv @ May 13 2013 02:46pm)
sounds very much like part of a circular reasoning argument
are there immoral religious people? especially christians? especially those of your denomination?

Absolutely there are people who call themselves Christians but are immoral. That's something else.

I said if people had faith and obeyed God, then they shouldn't be doing anything immoral.

Labeling yourself religious doesn't make you insta-faith or insta-obey.

This post was edited by dajusta on May 14 2013 11:54am
Gold: 21.78
May 14 2013 03:20pm
What good God would create a fruit that is not to be eaten, so that he can already know they will eat the fruit (god can predict the future, he is the reasoning why prophets are able to see the future) and then use this as an excuse to curse all humans based on 2 humans decisions.
a good god would judge us all individually, not lump as all up with these two who ate the forbidden fruit.

The bible was created by Lucifer, nuff said.

This post was edited by Krip on May 14 2013 03:24pm
May 14 2013 04:09pm
Quote (dajusta @ 14 May 2013 17:51)
Absolutely there are people who call themselves Christians but are immoral.  That's something else.
I said if people had faith and obeyed God, then they shouldn't be doing anything immoral. 
Labeling yourself religious doesn't make you insta-faith or insta-obey.

are you saying that 'christians' who show immoral behaviour are not really christians?
or are they allowed to behave immoral as long as they still have faith?
what is the amount of immoral behaviour acceptable to be still christian?

plus i still would really appreciate your input on:

Quote (brmv @ 12 May 2013 22:20)
can you please explain what you understand under post-modernism? because if philosophical post-modernism would take over as you might suggest, christianity (and most other religions) as understood/practiced today would vanish
Retired Moderator
Gold: 848.00
Trader: Trusted
May 14 2013 05:25pm
Quote (Krip @ 14 May 2013 18:20[B)
What good God would create a fruit that is not to be eaten, so that he can already know they will eat the fruit (god can predict the future, he is the reasoning why prophets are able to see the future) and then use this as an excuse to curse all humans based on 2 humans decisions.
a good god would judge us all individually, not lump as all up with these two who ate the forbidden fruit.[/B]

The bible was created by Lucifer, nuff said.

logical reasoning correctly!!
Gold: 21.78
May 14 2013 05:27pm
Quote (El Shadday @ May 14 2013 06:25pm)
logical reasoning correctly!!

hm?
Gold: 10,042.00
May 14 2013 05:53pm
Quote (brmv @ May 14 2013 03:09pm)
are you saying that 'christians' who show immoral behaviour are not really christians?
or are they allowed to behave immoral as long as they still have faith?
what is the amount of immoral behaviour acceptable to be still christian?

They try to be Christians, though they make mistakes and succumb to immoral behaviour. It's a lapse in judgement and a disobedience to God. We all do it - I am no exception. Another point is being proud of sinning. That is a clear disobedience to God and if someone is indeed proud of sinning then they (in my opinion) are no longer a follower of Christ. I do not judge them, I only judge myself.

can you please explain what you understand under post-modernism? because if philosophical post-modernism would take over as you might suggest, christianity (and most other religions) as understood/practiced today would vanish

Post-modernism is a rejection of modernism and some of its merits. So to understand post-modernity, you'd have to fully realize the constructs of modernity that is seemingly oppressive (or just inconvenient). Government, traditional law, scientific precision, modern reason and logic, those things oppose what the new generation of thinking is, so it gives rise to post-modernism which is distrust in government, not keeping to traditional law, science is not the end all and be all, and modern reasoning and logic are questioned.

How does Christianity vanish? It will not. The approach of religion and spirituality will just change. As I have said before, the theology does not change but the religion (superficial things) will change. The post-modern mindset will put value in experience, testimonials, spiritual understanding, personal freedom, etc. There will be positive changes and negative changes, but overall, Christianity will not die out. People thought evolution and scientific discovery would bury God, that is totally not true either.
Go Back To Political & Religious Debate Topic List
Prev1626364656678Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll