d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > General Chat > Political & Religious Debate > Coronavirus Thread
Prev1628629630631632910Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 69.69
Warn: 30%
Aug 8 2020 07:12am
Quote (Bazi @ Aug 8 2020 01:37pm)
CDC estimates that influenza was associated with more than 35.5 million illnesses, more than 16.5 million medical visits, 490,600 hospitalizations, and 34,200 deaths during the 2018–2019 influenza season.

Without** any shutdown/distancing/PPE measures

yeah that's my point.
in past 20 years there have been more than 1 seasonal flu's and other shit that were much more dangerous than covid19, yet no1 blinked an eye.
covid is basically a joke compared to lots of these

in my 5mil people country,
2019 random flu:
60 293 cases, 107 deaths. no1 blinked an eye

2020 covid :
5 543 cases, less than 100 deaths. massive panic
on a side note; shit tons of "death" numbers are fake as fuck. that's not a theory, that's a fact. in my family, we had a recent cancer caused death of a 83 y/o. my uncle was rang from a hospital by a doctor asking for a permission to put reason of death being covid, as it's "better for our family" since we can claim some money for covid death.
my uncle said no, but god knows how many people agreed and pumped up those numbers

same thing was in italy apparently. some polititians apparently asked for a detailed paperwork of all covid19 deaths in italy, to see an actual causes of death as tons of people were complaining due to their family members being put under covid statistics while dying of random illnesses etc.
they were declined and research was never done

This post was edited by SylvesterStallone on Aug 8 2020 07:16am
Gold: 4,404.67
Aug 8 2020 07:14am
Quote (Skinned @ 8 Aug 2020 15:06)
He said kids were immune and one died a day later. Making fake claims for political points is what is shameful not telling the truth.

Political communication is different from scientific communication, and you should know it.

A doctor or researcher might say "the virus seems far less lethal among prepubescent children than in adults. So far, the case fatality rate among children stands at 0.076%."
A politician should not say the same, because it would only cause math-illiterate Karens who expect the government to shield them from absolutely any life risks to reply "so, you say if we reopen schools, MY! KID!! WILL!!! DIIEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!???????????!!!!!" *freakout*

In the light of these numbers, it is justified for a politician to say something along the lines of "children are virtually immune". Yes, it's an inaccuracy and a mistake when a boastful guy like Trump drops the 'virtually' and says "children are immune", but the message implied by this staement is still closer to the truth than the message conveyed by saying "children are NOT immune".
Gold: 22,720.48
Aug 8 2020 07:18am
Quote (Bazi @ Aug 8 2020 08:57am)
Absolutely, I won’t forget that one it was my first time as a senior in ICU and it seemed like every asthmatic in Detroit regardless of age was coming in requiring a vent.

CDC estimates that influenza was associated with 45 million illnesses, 21 million medical visits, 810,000 hospitalizations, and 61,000 deaths during the 2017–2018 influenza season. This burden was higher than any season since the 2009 pandemic and serves as a reminder of how severe seasonal influenza can be.

Could you imagine if the seasonal flu had the same vascular impact that COVID is having?
Gold: 285.00
Aug 8 2020 07:25am
Quote (Black XistenZ @ Aug 8 2020 09:14am)
Political communication is different from scientific communication, and you should know it.

A doctor or researcher might say "the virus seems far less lethal among prepubescent children than in adults. So far, the case fatality rate among children stands at 0.076%."
A politician should not say the same, because it would only cause math-illiterate Karens who expect the government to shield them from absolutely any life risks to reply "so, you say if we reopen schools, MY! KID!! WILL!!! DIIEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!???????????!!!!!" *freakout*

In the light of these numbers, it is justified for a politician to say something along the lines of "children are virtually immune". Yes, it's an inaccuracy and a mistake when a boastful guy like Trump drops the 'virtually' and says "children are immune", but the message implied by this staement is still closer to the truth than the message conveyed by saying "children are NOT immune".

We prevented a lot of death through social distancing and now politicians want to use schools as laboratories to test their political truth by abruptly putting all theirs kids together with no precautions all at once and several children were infected on the first day of school. This is with no spin. The disease lives by scientific truths but since political truths are prevailing in places this disease is getting more laboratories to grow and spread and when children start dying apologists will say "we didn't know" when you were told by people whi did know, and half of America will accept it and vote for the same dudes again.
Gold: 4,921.71
Aug 8 2020 07:25am
Quote (SylvesterStallone @ Aug 8 2020 08:12am)
yeah that's my point.
in past 20 years there have been more than 1 seasonal flu's and other shit that were much more dangerous than covid19, yet no1 blinked an eye.

2019 random flu:

2020 covid :
on a side note; shit tons of "death" numbers are fake as fuck. that's not a theory, that's a fact. in my family, we had a recent cancer caused death of a 83 y/o. my uncle was rang from a hospital by a doctor asking for a permission to put reason of death being covid, as it's "better for our family" since we can claim some money for covid death.
my uncle said no, but god knows how many people agreed and pumped up those numbers

same thing was in italy apparently. some polititians apparently asked for a detailed paperwork of all covid19 deaths in italy, to see an actual causes of death as tons of people were complaining due to their family members being put under covid statistics while dying of random illnesses etc.
they were declined and research was never done

Covid even WITH precautions is much deadlier than the flu

Smh, are you looking at March covid numbers or something. I can only speak for the US, the death count is fairly accurate. Sure there may have had some that had superimposed processes too but that has never change the way we add up deaths before. If you had flu in 2017 and died of a heart attack, still counts as a death caused by flu...given it is very reasonable to assume the flu increased cardiac demands and was a precursor to the eventual heart attack.

No reason that covid should be treated differently, even though some want to exclude some numbers so it looks less scary.

Quote (Arsenic_Touch @ Aug 8 2020 08:18am)
Could you imagine if the seasonal flu had the same vascular impact that COVID is having?

I mean 2 months later I Still can’t smell like before. I used to have an Uber fine taste/smell palate and it’s so bad now. When I’m eating chicken wings I can’t really distinguish the flavors anymore, teriyaki same as bbq same as ghost. On the bright side I’m not as repulsed by my wife after her long runs anymore haha

Quote (Black XistenZ @ Aug 8 2020 08:01am)
Most people dont get the difference between the seasonal influenza and the common cold.

What I dont understand is how people can still stick to the "it's just another flu" talking point. Even in one of its worst years, the seasonal influenza killed 61k people while being allowed to spread unchecked. Covid has already killed 150k+ (and counting) in spite of massive mitigation and containment efforts like social distancing and shutting entire industries down, and it looks like it will easily break the 200k mark before everything is said and done.

Agree with you completely, I don’t even understand how these are comparable anymore. Even if the deaths are inflated, it would be by thousands at most ... look at the scale of differences now, WITH precautions

This post was edited by Bazi on Aug 8 2020 07:27am
Aug 8 2020 07:27am
Quote (Bazi @ Aug 8 2020 02:25pm)
Covid even WITH precautions is much deadlier than the flu

Smh, are you looking at March covid numbers or something.

no, I'm looking at total numbers since beginning of 2020

2019 random flu:

2020 covid :
Gold: 4,921.71
Aug 8 2020 07:27am
Quote (SylvesterStallone @ Aug 8 2020 08:27am)
no, I'm looking at total numbers since beginning of 2020

What country
Aug 8 2020 07:28am
Quote (SylvesterStallone @ 8 Aug 2020 15:12)
yeah that's my point.

2019 random flu:

2020 covid :

Northern Europe is the exception to the rule in that it stopped covid before it could cause a lot of deaths. A look at not just he outright disaster zones like the US, Brazil or Mexico, but also at your European neighbors like France, the Netherlands or Sweden shows that this virus is more dangerous and potent than the seasonal flu. What you're describing is textbook prevention paradox.

At the end of the day, the infection fatality rate of covid-19 is estimated by the WHO and others at about 0.5%, while that of the seasonal flu typically lies at around 0.1%. Combined with the absence of a vaccine or a huge degree of cross-immunity and the lack of effective treatment, covid is in an entirely different ballpark in terms of dangerousness. It is not the spooky killer virus that many people (predominantly liberals) and many media outlets try to make of it, and some risks can and should imho be taken, but it's still a virus that absolutely must be taken seriously.
Aug 8 2020 07:35am
Quote (Black XistenZ @ Aug 8 2020 02:28pm)
Northern Europe is the exception to the rule in that it stopped covid before it could cause a lot of deaths. A look at not just he outright disaster zones like the US, Brazil or Mexico, but also at your European neighbors like France, the Netherlands or Sweden shows that this virus is more dangerous and potent than the seasonal flu. What you're describing is textbook prevention paradox.

At the end of the day, the infection fatality rate of covid-19 is estimated by the WHO and others at about 0.5%, while that of the seasonal flu typically lies at around 0.1%. Combined with the absence of a vaccine or a huge degree of cross-immunity and the lack of effective treatment, covid is in an entirely different ballpark in terms of dangerousness. It is not the spooky killer virus that many people (predominantly liberals) and many media outlets try to make of it, and some risks can and should imho be taken, but it's still a virus that absolutely must be taken seriously.

all I'm saying is,
we had vaccine for flu, people were getting them regularly, in 5 mil people country, 60k ended up with flu
we have no vaccine for covid, therefore people can't get vaccine, in 5 mil people country, we have 5k cases up to this date

on a side note, last month we had a music festival on which 15-20k people participated, mostly locals as borders were partially closed
still on 5k cases in 8 months.

I'm not arguing anything or anyone nor I'm speculating anything with some poorly elaborated conspiracy theories. I'm just giving you numbers and facts.
:)
Aug 8 2020 07:37am
Quote (Skinned @ 8 Aug 2020 15:25)
We prevented a lot of death through social distancing and now politicians want to use schools as laboratories to test their political truth by abruptly putting all theirs kids together with no precautions all at once and several children were infected on the first day of school. This is with no spin. The disease lives by scientific truths but since political truths are prevailing in places this disease is getting more laboratories to grow and spread and when children start dying apologists will say "we didn't know" when you were told by people whi did know, and half of America will accept it and vote for the same dudes again.

Let me make this clear once and for all: if we reopen schools, out of the millions of schoolkids, tens of thousands will get infected, and a handful of them will die. I never denied this. My point all along has been that it is still worth it. We are in a position where "acceptable losses" must be dealt with. This is of course a viewpoint that would be politically toxic (see my previous point about hysteric Karen moms) and is very hard to communicate to the public without committing political suicide. It's still the truth.
Go Back To Political & Religious Debate Topic List
Prev1628629630631632910Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll