d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > General Chat > Political & Religious Debate > Immigration, Etc... > And Illegal Immigrants
Prev1616263646577Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 11,407.33
Jun 29 2018 09:58pm
Quote (ThatAlex @ Jun 29 2018 10:53pm)
It's an egregious and intentional misrepresentation of the facts.

Obviously I agree that any nonzero illegal immigration of MS-13 members is bad, but the amount of instances Trump has used MS-13 in his rhetoric is vastly disproportional to the studied magnitude of the actual problem.

It's a fear-mongering tactic, plain and simple.

what fact was misinterpreted?
is he running around saying 40% of apprehended persons at the border are MS-13 gang members?

The magnitude of the actual problem is not remotely close to adequately measured by "confirmed MS-13 gang members apprehended at the border by border patrol as a percent of total people apprehended at the border."
If 10,000 illegal immigrants are let into your town and only 1% are a gang of particularly savage murderers does that make it not a real problem?
how about if 50k non-gang members are apprehended at the border of the country yet your town still faces these gangs? does that mean its not a significant problem? what if no one is stopped at the border?
Are people who criticize the murderers and want to restrict their entry a bunch of racists and liars for doing so?

Detroit has a population of around 670k people. 'Only' 43 per 100k are murdered each year. The violent crime rate is 'only' 1,749 per 100k.
I guess all those people who factually recognize crime is a major problem in Detroit are a bunch of racist liars because murderers aren't a large percentage of their population, right?

Also realize that only apprehended gang members (typically w/ previous criminal records in the database)are being counted there, not the ones who get through and wreak havoc in america and recruit other illegals into their gangs.
Their US population has been estimated to be around 8-10k, and there are numerous other gangs as well. Gang violence is a very serious problem and immigration plays a major role, whether you want to admit it or not.

This post was edited by cambovenzi on Jun 29 2018 09:59pm
Gold: 1.73
Jun 29 2018 10:09pm
Quote (ThatAlex @ 29 Jun 2018 22:53)

Obviously I agree that any nonzero illegal immigration of MS-13 members is bad, but the amount of instances Trump has used MS-13 in his rhetoric is vastly disproportional to the studied magnitude of the actual problem.

Whered you go to school?
Gold: 2,620.00
Jun 29 2018 10:44pm
Quote (cambovenzi @ 29 Jun 2018 22:58)
what fact was misinterpreted?
is he running around saying 40% of apprehended persons at the border are MS-13 gang members?

The magnitude of the actual problem is not remotely close to adequately measured by "confirmed MS-13 gang members apprehended at the border by border patrol as a percent of total people apprehended at the border."
If 10,000 illegal immigrants are let into your town and only 1% are a gang of particularly savage murderers does that make it not a real problem?
how about if 50k non-gang members are apprehended at the border of the country yet your town still faces these gangs? does that mean its not a significant problem? what if no one is stopped at the border?
Are people who criticize the murderers and want to restrict their entry a bunch of racists and liars for doing so?

Detroit has a population of around 670k people. 'Only' 43 per 100k are murdered each year. The violent crime rate is 'only' 1,749 per 100k.
I guess all those people who factually recognize crime is a major problem in Detroit are a bunch of racist liars because murderers aren't a large percentage of their population, right?

Also realize that only apprehended gang members (typically w/ previous criminal records in the database)are being counted there, not the ones who get through and wreak havoc in america and recruit other illegals into their gangs.
Their US population has been estimated to be around 8-10k, and there are numerous other gangs as well. Gang violence is a very serious problem and immigration plays a major role, whether you want to admit it or not.

The amount of times Trump has referenced MS-13 members illegally immigrating to the US in public statements vastly overstates the actual problem based on this research by Cato.

The point you have about counting apprehensions at the border vs gang violence in America as a whole is valid.

Quote (ChrisKz @ 29 Jun 2018 23:09)
Whered you go to school?

ITT Tech for my Bachelor's and Trump University for my Master's.
Gold: 22,720.48
Jun 29 2018 10:53pm
Quote (ThatAlex @ Jun 29 2018 11:44pm)

ITT Tech for my Bachelor's and Trump University for my Master's.

Gold: 4,404.67
Jun 30 2018 03:05am
Quote (ThatAlex @ 30 Jun 2018 04:53)

Quote (ThatAlex @ 30 Jun 2018 06:44)
The amount of times Trump has referenced MS-13 members illegally immigrating to the US in public statements vastly overstates the actual problem based on this research by Cato.

it's mostly a metaphor. when Trump is talking about MS-13, he means immigrant crime and gang violence in general - he's just using the MS-13 as a bold example because this makes his point more tangible and relatable; and this particular gang has a particularly high name recognition.

it's the equivalent of feminists talking about "the Weinstein's of this world".

This post was edited by Black XistenZ on Jun 30 2018 03:05am
Gold: 1,000.70
Jun 30 2018 05:51am
Quote (naTodd @ Jun 29 2018 06:12am)
I could say the same about you.

07 with only 8k posts. You seem guilty don’t you?

Quote (naTodd @ Jun 29 2018 06:49am)
You disappeared quick.

that was called going to sleep.

guilty? not at all. lol. 101'posts
Gold: 10,485.00
Jul 2 2018 02:24am
Amid surging violence, some Mexicans choose asylum over voting

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-mexico-election-asylum/amid-surging-violence-some-mexicans-choose-asylum-over-voting-idUSKBN1JR226

TIJUANA, Mexico (Reuters) - As millions of Mexicans lined up on Sunday to vote in the country’s largest election in history, others were huddled at the door to the United States, fleeing violence and bereft of hope that a new government could staunch it.

And... here comes the next batch.
I mean I feel sorry that people have to live in fear, etc. But all of them coming to the US isn't the answer.
They should ask the US to come in and kick some ass.

/e I think the US should set up a well defended consulate in Mexico. Then folks that wanted to immigrate or seek asylum could go there and apply.

This post was edited by Ghot on Jul 2 2018 02:27am
Gold: 14,949.00
Jul 3 2018 08:30am
Quote (Black XistenZ @ Jun 27 2018 04:29pm)
well, companies not wanting to hire a woman in her late 20s without kids is... a discrimination of woman and economically totally sensible and understandable at the same. a shitty situation, but so far, I havent heard of a good solution for this issue - well, outside of high tax large welfare state countries like france or sweden...

anyways, this issue has nothing to do with your wife being an immigrant. an US-born woman in the same age would face the same problem.

that the companies dont want to hire a person whose immigration and work permit status is still up in the air is also understandable, dont you think? I know that this situation sucks for her/you, but why would american firms take on this trouble if they can find a similarly qualified american candidate for the job?
in the end, everything would be much easier and smoother if your wife found a company that sponsored her.

the things you say about the broken process in the immigration offices also suck, but I seriously dont think that those processes would be significantly less chaotic/time-consuming/broken without anti-immigrant sentiments.

all in all, you and your wife are in kind of a shitty situation, and I feel your frustration. but this doesnt automatically imply that your wife is being discriminated against.

Dude I just told you how she was denied because she is not a citizen and workers wouldn’t like the idea of a “foreigner” above them XD how is that not discrimination.
I wouldn’t say that being here legally and having all the legal papers is considered up in the air heh

This post was edited by IchBinDaddy on Jul 3 2018 08:59am
Jul 3 2018 02:46pm
U.S. judge orders release reviews for asylum seekers

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-immigration-ruling/u-s-judge-orders-release-reviews-for-asylum-seekers-idUSKBN1JT02G

SAN FRANCISCO (Reuters) - The U.S. government has been nearly uniformly detaining asylum seekers who were initially found to have credible fears of persecution instead of releasing them pending hearings on their individual cases as required, a federal judge ruled on Monday in a setback for the Trump administration.

What a shock. Trump intends to stick with his " no more catch and release" promise.

This post was edited by Ghot on Jul 3 2018 02:46pm
Jul 5 2018 05:45pm

Immigration top issue for U.S. voters, economy a close second: Reuters/Ipsos poll

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-election-immigration/immigration-top-issue-for-u-s-voters-economy-a-close-second-reuters-ipsos-poll-idUSKBN1JV31K

- However, Trump’s approval on his handling of immigration remains little changed since the beginning of the year, with 52 percent of registered voters saying in an ongoing Reuters/Ipsos poll that they disapprove of the way the president is handling immigration.

Americans are squarely divided along partisan lines on Trump’s stance on immigration: Eighty-one percent of Republicans said they approve of his handling of the issue while 84 percent of registered Democrats said they disapprove.

Go Back To Political & Religious Debate Topic List
Prev1616263646577Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll