d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > General Chat > Political & Religious Debate > Got Questions About God? > #1 Can You Really Trust The Bible?
Prev1596061626378Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 566.22
May 7 2013 04:20am
I have zero questions about god, if he wants me to know it he will tell me.
Gold: Locked
Trader: Scammer
May 7 2013 04:48am
Quote (Ylem122 @ May 7 2013 06:14am)
you can put alot of real world data on a graph.

Graph theory is the study of models with nodes and edges joining those nodes. It didn't start with an application.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Graph_theory

while they maybe useless at the time math, in respect to humanity, in my reguards what makes it useless is the lack of real world application, and none have shown this yet. a math not based in the real world or not appliciable to the real world, dosnt seem to exist.

Math is built on axiomatic systems. We can literally assume anything we want for the axioms. It's still math even if the axioms are not at all true in reality. So, math without application can certainly exist.

Gold: 11,700.00
May 7 2013 05:08am
Quote (Ylem122 @ 7 May 2013 10:14)
you can put alot of real world data on a graph.
yes you can but it doesn't change the fact that it started out as recreational maths, useless junk in your opinion
...a math not based in the real world or not appliciable to the real world, dosnt seem to exist. to disappoint you, most mathematicians i know don't really care
cept for maybe primes, cant find a single use of them aside from the coming of cryptography 2 millenia+ after they were first talked about. perhaps its more a case of recognizing them and thus working to avoid them in real world applications, as a number undividible by any number other then itself and 1 might cause issues, that brought about their study.

check on the 'riemann zeta function' which came about by research into primes
as said before, it doesn't really matter that you consider certain mathematical theorem/etc as useless
and i am sure there are plenty you would put into that category if you would look deeper into maths
let's see what they say about those sometimes in the future
May 7 2013 05:34am
Quote (Ylem122 @ May 7 2013 02:23am)
how so?

The existence of a unit prompts the existence of another unit, and before long, we've got the natural numbers and arithmetic, from which we can build huge amounts of knowledge.
Gold: 655.00
May 7 2013 06:16am
Quote (N1ccolo @ May 7 2013 07:34am)
The existence of a unit prompts the existence of another unit, and before long, we've got the natural numbers and arithmetic, from which we can build huge amounts of knowledge.

not really. 1 prompts another 1 and before long weve got a whole bunch of 1's....

and if it did, then your argueing aginst your self as to the possiblity of math existing prior to real world application.

Quote (brmv @ May 7 2013 07:08am)
check on the 'riemann zeta function' which came about by research into primes
as said before, it doesn't really matter that you consider certain mathematical theorem/etc as useless
and i am sure there are plenty you would put into that category if you would look deeper into maths
let's see what they say about those sometimes in the future

its a matter of the math being founded with out real world reason, this just dosnt exist, as even with prime numbers its likely just a matter of avoding them, though it also seems they can be very useful in simplifying divison and fractions, which is much more likely where the interest in prime numbers came about.

math with out real world application, dosnt exist, and if it did, it would be worthless.

This post was edited by Ylem122 on May 7 2013 06:27am
May 7 2013 06:29am
Quote (Ylem122 @ 7 May 2013 12:16)
math with out real world application, dosnt exist, and if it did, it would be worthless.

there is plenty higher level maths without any real world application (yet)
and no, it's worth lies in progressing maths
maybe it takes a mathematician to understand that
but i assume that you consider philosophy as worthless as well
or at least all those works which do not have a real world application

and you clearly didn't have a look at the 'riemann zeta function'
else you wouldn't repeat your silly remark about prime numbers
Gold: 655.00
May 7 2013 06:35am
Quote (brmv @ May 7 2013 08:29am)
there is plenty higher level maths without any real world application (yet)
and no, it's worth lies in progressing maths
maybe it takes a mathematician to understand that
but i assume that you consider philosophy as worthless as well
or at least all those works which do not have a real world application

and you clearly didn't have a look at the 'riemann zeta function'
else you wouldn't repeat your silly remark about prime numbers

iim sure as you look into such math youll find contempoaraty real world application inspirng its creation.

im aruing for the use of primes by a 300 bc greek citizen, not modern day, as ive allready pointed out crytography as a modern day use.

im sure you didnt understand my point otherwise you wouldnt have mentioned the riemann zeta function again.

and liklely still dont understand my point.

This post was edited by Ylem122 on May 7 2013 06:36am
May 7 2013 06:43am
Quote (Ylem122 @ 7 May 2013 12:35)
iim sure as you look into such math youll find contempoaraty real world application inspirng its creation.
im aruing for the use of primes by a 300 bc greek citizen, not modern day, as ive allready pointed out crytography as a modern day use.

lot's of mathematics is created without any real world application inspiring it
you underestimate the 'just playing in the sand box' attititude
you only see one side of mathematics, namely mathematics slaving for science/etc
and don't see the other side which most mathematicians prefer, namely mathematics as l'art pour l'art

and i am still waiting for an answer on my question if you consider philosophy as worthless
May 7 2013 05:28pm
Quote (Ylem122 @ May 7 2013 08:16am)
not really.  1 prompts another 1 and before long weve got a whole bunch of 1's....

and if it did, then your argueing aginst your self as to the possiblity of math existing prior to real world application.

No, I'm arguing that particular example is useful. We already discussed examples that weren't useful at the time (primes and other number theory, graph theory). Some was just through playing (graphs) and others for some possible future use, but without a particular one in mind.

its a matter of the math being founded with out real world reason, this just dosnt exist, as even with prime numbers its likely just a matter of avoding them, though it also seems they can be very useful in simplifying divison and fractions, which is much more likely where the interest in prime numbers came about.

What's your evidence that it's a matter of avoiding the prime numbers? We can easily make up plausible stories about the origin of something, but without evidence, it's pointless. For whatever reason, primes were deemed useless for about two thousand years after the Greeks.

We can make up any axioms we want and deduce results, and it's still math.... It may be worthless now, but may lead to some application in the future, as with the examples we've talked about.
Gold: 0.00
May 8 2013 10:01pm
So what are your points when you're arguing with mathematics again?
Go Back To Political & Religious Debate Topic List
Prev1596061626378Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll