d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > General Chat > Political & Religious Debate > Stephen Breyer Announces Retirement
Prev15678916Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 5.77
Jan 26 2022 11:27pm
Quote (CyrusTheGreat @ Jan 26 2022 08:06pm)
May I ask where you got that indication? You don't have to own any businesses in America to escape poverty and live a good life. You simply need to hone your skills.

I guess when one carries their own life worrying about their personal wealth rather than what someone else has, it makes it easier to appreciate what they do have? :unsure:

Wait, so you’re a worker and you don’t own any means of production (for example: factories, oil and mineral rights and their extraction tools)?

Simple yes or no will suffice.
Gold: 9,900.00
Trader: Trusted
Jan 26 2022 11:29pm
Quote (Handcuffs @ Jan 27 2022 12:25am)
But whether the jobs were "never meant to be careers" or not, or whether they were for "high school students or retirees" or not, doesn't change the reality that the vast majority of people who hold those jobs are in early to middle adulthood and depend on those jobs to get by.

When I first started on my path from breaking from poverty, I went from my full-time job twice during the week on Mondays and Wednesdays directly to my second job. I had a 30 minute window between both. I also worked my second job 12-10 on Sunday. As raises and promotions came, I was able to stop the second job during the week and ultimately after many years, I was able to let it go in full.

Sorry, but I have answered quite a number of your questions in good faith without mine answered in return. Until I get a valid answer to this question, I respectfully choose not to continue:

-- May I ask why the people you are referencing are simply waiting for this technology to take over their job and not jumping on these offers with no cost right now/years ago when it became offered (I graduated in 2016 and the McDonalds Corporation was still, then, a participant in the company-reimbursed degree program).
Jan 26 2022 11:33pm
Quote (inkanddagger @ Jan 27 2022 12:27am)
Wait, so you’re a worker and you don’t own any means of production (for example: factories, oil and mineral rights and their extraction tools)?

Simple yes or no will suffice.

I guess my answer would be that it doesn't matter?

I never expected or claimed in my life to own something I did not create / take the risks to establish.

I think the better question here is why do you seem to have a problem with someone who makes a good living through employment and is fine with that?

Quote (inkanddagger @ Jan 27 2022 12:34am)
You’re dodging.

Are you a worker? Yes or no.

Again - I think the better question here is why do you seem to have a problem with someone who makes a good living through employment and is fine with that?

This post was edited by CyrusTheGreat on Jan 26 2022 11:35pm
Jan 26 2022 11:34pm
Quote (CyrusTheGreat @ Jan 26 2022 09:33pm)

I never expected or claimed in my life to own something I did not create / take the risks to establish.

I think the better question here is why do you seem to have a problem with someone who makes a good living through employment and is fine with that?

You’re dodging.

Are you a worker? Yes or no.
Gold: 0.00
Jan 26 2022 11:34pm
Quote (CyrusTheGreat @ Jan 26 2022 09:29pm)
When I first started on my path from breaking from poverty, I went from my full-time job twice during the week on Mondays and Wednesdays directly to my second job. I had a 30 minute window between both. I also worked my second job 12-10 on Sunday. As raises and promotions came, I was able to stop the second job during the week and ultimately after many years, I was able to let it go in full.

Sorry, but I have answered quite a number of your questions in good faith without mine answered in return. Until I get a valid answer to this question, I respectfully choose not to continue:

-- May I ask why the people you are referencing are simply waiting for this technology to take over their job and not jumping on these offers with no cost right now/years ago when it became offered (I graduated in 2016 and the McDonalds Corporation was still, then, a participant in the company-reimbursed degree program).

I don't think people are "simply waiting for technology to take over their job". Even if someone were to pursue the offerings you're talking about, them eventually leaving the position just opens it up for someone else. Since these jobs need to be filled by someone, I find it interesting that you attribute someone being in such a position as being the result of lack of ambition.
Jan 26 2022 11:40pm
Quote (Handcuffs @ Jan 27 2022 12:34am)
I don't think people are "simply waiting for technology to take over their job". Even if someone were to pursue the offerings you're talking about, them eventually leaving the position just opens it up for someone else. Since these jobs need to be filled by someone, I find it interesting that you attribute someone being in such a position as being the result of lack of ambition.

"I don't think people are "simply waiting for technology to take over their job". Even if someone were to pursue the offerings you're talking about, them eventually leaving the position just opens it up for someone else. Since these jobs need to be filled by someone, I find it interesting that you attribute someone being in such a position as being the result of lack of ambition."

I didn't contribute any single job to a "lack of ambition" -- I simply used McDonalds as an example.

If one wants more money but doesn't want to do anything to earn it, that is textbook definition of unambitious. I am not sure what else I can say there.

In addition, re-iterating what I mentioned before about the need to fill those jobs:

"if all was followed according to a path to success, I think I did also sufficiently answer that as well. I did mention high school kids and retirees. These jobs were never meant to be careers."

Lastly, you didn't sufficiently answer my question so I will need to push back on this. The mantra of left-wing politics is that a college degree is the epitomy of success and it's being offered for free to these same people you are indicating are wage-oppressed. Why can't you answer this? It is indeed a fair question. These same jobs one claims exploit people are offering the blue-print to success based on leftist ideology and no leftist is taking it. Does that make sense?
Gold: 0.00
Jan 26 2022 11:47pm
Quote (CyrusTheGreat @ Jan 26 2022 09:40pm)
"I don't think people are "simply waiting for technology to take over their job". Even if someone were to pursue the offerings you're talking about, them eventually leaving the position just opens it up for someone else. Since these jobs need to be filled by someone, I find it interesting that you attribute someone being in such a position as being the result of lack of ambition."

I didn't contribute any single job to a "lack of ambition" -- I simply used McDonalds as an example.

If one wants more money but doesn't want to do anything to earn it, that is textbook definition of unambitious. I am not sure what else I can say there.

In addition, re-iterating what I mentioned before about the need to fill those jobs:

"if all was followed according to a path to success, I think I did also sufficiently answer that as well. I did mention high school kids and retirees. These jobs were never meant to be careers."

Lastly, you didn't sufficiently answer my question so I will need to push back on this. The mantra of left-wing politics is that a college degree is the epitomy of success and it's being offered for free to these same people you are indicating are wage-oppressed. Why can't you answer this? It is indeed a fair question. These same jobs one claims exploit people are offering the blue-print to success based on leftist ideology and no leftist is taking it. Does that make sense?

I'm unsure what leftist philosophy you're pulling from that suggests "a college degree is the epitome of success".

Also, perhaps you have more information about the McDonald's program since you keep referencing it, but as far as I can find in a cursory search it seems that McDonald's has a tuition assistance program to eligible employees that amounts to $2,500/year: https://www.archwaystoopportunity.com/tuition_assistance.html
Jan 26 2022 11:55pm
Quote (Handcuffs @ Jan 27 2022 12:47am)
I'm unsure what leftist philosophy you're pulling from that suggests "a college degree is the epitome of success".

Also, perhaps you have more information about the McDonald's program since you keep referencing it, but as far as I can find in a cursory search it seems that McDonald's has a tuition assistance program to eligible employees that amounts to $2,500/year: https://www.archwaystoopportunity.com/tuition_assistance.html

I do have plenty of information on that program, as it's the same program my company uses as well and it partners with the same school I graduated from.

However, based on the lack of appreciation for the free money offered above, but rather simply a response of "why not more", it's very clear we aren't going to find common ground.

Unfortunately, Biden agrees, too, as student loan debt that one chose to assume for a degree path that has no real-world value is not being written off whether it was promised on the campaign trail as well.

This post was edited by CyrusTheGreat on Jan 27 2022 12:00am
Jan 26 2022 11:56pm
Quote (CyrusTheGreat @ Jan 26 2022 09:33pm)

Again - I think the better question here is why do you seem to have a problem with someone who makes a good living through employment and is fine with that?

I don’t. I have the opposite of that problem, actually. Earlier you said capitalism got you out of poverty. To me it sounds like work got you out of poverty.

This post was edited by inkanddagger on Jan 26 2022 11:57pm
Jan 26 2022 11:58pm
Quote (inkanddagger @ Jan 27 2022 12:56am)
I don’t. But earlier you said capitalism got you out of poverty. To me it sounds like work got you out of poverty.

Well, no. The unlimited capitalist economic ceiling is what recognized my developed skills and got me out of poverty.

The work part was my responsibility and sure, I did it. What's wrong with hard work and ambition?
Go Back To Political & Religious Debate Topic List
Prev15678916Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll