d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > General Chat > Political & Religious Debate > Thanks Obama! > Health Insurance Premiums
Prev156789Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 2,620.00
Oct 25 2016 10:56am
Quote (thesnipa @ 25 Oct 2016 11:41)
while i agree with this i'd hope you aren't foolish enough to think we could make an omelet without cracking the eggs. Sure its only a small step that cost perhaps more than its worth, usually the first step is riddled with problems. And the companies retain a high profit, shocker that they wouldn't accept their industry crumbling over night. And given the challenges HRC's stance should be seen as a politically expedient one IMO, not her personal stance whatever the hell that is. In short, its shitty because it has to be shitty. A perfect system out of the gates was never possible.

Philosophically, I agree that it was a good first step in that I think everyone has a right to health care.

However, I don't think we will be able to put together a good health care plan for the people until we can figure out how to decrease the influence of the health insurance and pharmaceutical industrys' lobbying in health care policy.

I think it's incorrect to say we had to have a shitty system out of the gates, unless you are factoring in the current state of American lobbyism and corporate interests dictating public policy, in which I'd agree with you. There are underlying issues regarding how policy is formed in Washington that we need to address first.
Gold: 57.00
Oct 25 2016 11:07am
Quote (ThatAlex @ 25 Oct 2016 12:31)
The ACA is fool's gold. It's a political talking point that Obama and Democrats can pat themselves on the back about and say they gave millions of previously uninsured Americans health insurance, when in actuality its driven up costs, made our health care system even more bureaucratic, and hasn't actually improved health care outcomes for poor Americans all that much.

The health care issue is a complicated issue, but the ACA was riddled with crony problems from the start, including guarenteeing health insurance companies massive profits. And interestingly enough, the ACA is now acting as an impediment to the passage of a universal health care system, which is obviously the ideal health care system when you examine other wealthy democracies that employ those systems with lower costs and better health care outcomes

We will have another establishment Democratic president opposed to such a system, so it looks like we will have to drown in our own beureaucratic mess of rising costs and health insurance industry cronyism for at least another 4-8 years before we can begin really trying to solve this issue. But it's just such a complicated mess right now.

well some Americans got subsidized and cheap healthcare - their individual situations are more important than everyone elses.

disagree and you're a racist sexist elitist homophobic islamaphobic bigot

Signed, Democrats 2016
Gold: 2,504.69
Oct 25 2016 11:13am
Quote (ThatAlex @ Oct 25 2016 10:56am)
Philosophically, I agree that it was a good first step in that I think everyone has a right to health care.

However, I don't think we will be able to put together a good health care plan for the people until we can figure out how to decrease the influence of the health insurance and pharmaceutical industrys' lobbying in health care policy.

I think it's incorrect to say we had to have a shitty system out of the gates, unless you are factoring in the current state of American lobbyism and corporate interests dictating public policy, in which I'd agree with you. There are underlying issues regarding how policy is formed in Washington that we need to address first.

yes i was making a meta argument for the entire US, lobbies and all. I think that Obama currently has a terrible reputation on healthcare, but i think given time it will just be viewed as the best we could do at the time to get the ball rolling. I think his handling of the DEA regarding interstate disputes and green states will be the same. by not prosecuting he essentially legalizes pot at the state level without ever having to touch the bureaucracy of rescheduling or even having to have congress consent.

This post was edited by thesnipa on Oct 25 2016 11:13am
Gold: 0.00
Nov 3 2016 02:09pm
Quote (Master_Zappy @ Oct 21 2016 07:55pm)
Here's a data point for you on Obamacare. Prior to the ACA I could not afford insurance and have no coverage. Since Obama passed this plan, I still have no healthcare since it's still hugely expensive , however I now have the privilege of losing hundreds of dollars per year as a penalty because I still cant afford this shitty (non)coverage. Thanks obama.

I just got notified by my insurance company that starting next year my plan will be increasing from $147 to $253 a month, and I live in one of the bluest states in the US, Maryland. It's not even the bestest of plans either, it's $6.550.

Yay for Obamacare... Time to start shopping for a new plan, I guess.

This post was edited by CarsV on Nov 3 2016 02:10pm
Gold: 1.50
Nov 3 2016 02:17pm
Mine is going up from $237/mo to $350/mo.

<_<
Nov 3 2016 02:20pm
Quote (CarsV @ 3 Nov 2016 16:09)
I just got notified by my insurance company that starting next year my plan will be increasing from $147 to $253 a month, and I live in one of the bluest states in the US, Maryland. It's not even the bestest of plans either, it's $6.550.

Yay for Obamacare... Time to start shopping for a new plan, I guess.

OP thanks you for your addtional contribution so that his plan can be much cheaper next year.

Well he probably wont actually thank you but you get the gist of it.
Nov 3 2016 02:43pm
Quote (excellence @ Nov 3 2016 08:20pm)
OP thanks you for your addtional contribution so that his plan can be much cheaper next year.

Well he probably wont actually thank you but you get the gist of it.

Here's what's even more insane. Two years ago my plan was a little over $100/mo, like $110$. Then it bumped up to $147 for last year. Now it's going up to $253 a month.

Let that sink in for a moment. That's over 100% increase in 2, TWO years.

To the rest of you who are fanboying this shit, fuck you guys. Some people seem to think money grows on trees.

This post was edited by CarsV on Nov 3 2016 02:44pm
Nov 3 2016 02:50pm
Quote (CarsV @ 3 Nov 2016 16:43)
Here's what's even more insane. Two years ago my plan was a little over $100/mo, like $110$. Then it bumped up to $147 for last year. Now it's going up to $253 a month.

Let that sink in for a moment. That's over 100% increase in 2, TWO years.

To the rest of you who are fanboying this shit, fuck you guys. Some people seem to think money grows on trees.

it does for some people - they don't have to tend to the tree though, water it and make sure it stays alive and fertile etc. just go pick it and leave.
Gold: 23.00
Nov 3 2016 03:23pm
My insurance through work has gone up a shit ton.

Makes me want to cry because I never use it. Idk why I bother getting it... Besides the fine obviously. I should just pay the fine and stop getting it
Nov 4 2016 04:46pm
Quote (fuzzy159 @ Nov 3 2016 09:23pm)
My insurance through work has gone up a shit ton.

Makes me want to cry because I never use it. Idk why I bother getting it... Besides the fine obviously. I should just pay the fine and stop getting it

How much is the fine anyway? I don't recall. Gotta be $1000. Still though. Considering my total yearly premiums will total over $3000 (and this is just health, not including dental, vision, etc.), I'm starting to wonder if it's better to just take the fucking $1000 fine. But, then the realist in me understands I could end up in some car accident that I could have no control over.

This post was edited by CarsV on Nov 4 2016 04:53pm
Go Back To Political & Religious Debate Topic List
Prev156789Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll