d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > General Chat > Political & Religious Debate >
Poll > How To Get To Heaven When You Die
Prev156789Next
Closed New Topic New Poll
  Guests cannot view or vote in polls. Please register or login.
Gold: 260.11
Jul 1 2015 02:30pm
Quote (Dune1 @ Jul 1 2015 02:26pm)
My point is that I hear the "it's nowhere close to the original" phrase thrown around a lot. Most people that say this are regurgitating something they heard. Almost the entire old testament was found in a cave by the dead sea. These scrolls are over 2000 years old and are almost identical to what we have today.

Where's the evidence to support massive changes that have taken place within the text?

The changes which are of concern in the old testament would have taken place before 2000 years ago. It's not surprising the old testament is largely the same as what was found in the dead sea scrolls.

Prior to roughly 0 A.D. the new testament was fluid, fun fact about the dead sea scrolls, the guy who hid them was in the middle of a fabrication when that person had to hide the documents.
Retired Moderator
Gold: 0.00
Trader: Trusted
Jul 1 2015 02:32pm
Quote (Thor123422 @ 1 Jul 2015 16:30)
The changes which are of concern in the old testament would have taken place before 2000 years ago. It's not surprising the old testament is largely the same as what was found in the dead sea scrolls.

Prior to roughly 0 A.D. the new testament was fluid, fun fact about the dead sea scrolls, the guy who hid them was in the middle of a fabrication when that person had to hide the documents.

Yet we have no evidence of these "changes"? Speculation is our evidence?

The dead sea scrolls are dated well before 0 a.d.

This post was edited by Dune1 on Jul 1 2015 02:33pm
Jul 1 2015 02:35pm
Quote (Dune1 @ Jul 1 2015 02:32pm)
Yet we have no evidence of these "changes"? Speculation is our evidence?

The dead sea scrolls are dated well before 0 a.d.

There's plenty of evidence of these "changes", we know which documents the stories of the old testament were based on, can identify forgeries through stylistic changes and literary analysis. It's out there, if you are willing to search for it. Pretty interesting.
Retired Moderator
Trader: Trusted
Jul 1 2015 02:40pm
Quote (Thor123422 @ 1 Jul 2015 16:35)
There's plenty of evidence of these "changes", we know which documents the stories of the old testament were based on, can identify forgeries through stylistic changes and literary analysis. It's out there, if you are willing to search for it. Pretty interesting.

All of the historians and documents I have read have only supported the ancient text even more. I suppose I'm looking in the wrong place.

I also did a quick search of what you said about the person editing the text of the dead sea scrolls. I've come up with nothing. Do you have a report that states that? I've never heard that accusation before.
Jul 1 2015 02:44pm
Quote (Dune1 @ Jul 1 2015 02:40pm)
All of the historians and documents I have read have only supported the ancient text even more. I suppose I'm looking in the wrong place.

I also did a quick search of what you said about the person editing the text of the dead sea scrolls. I've come up with nothing. Do you have a report that states that? I've never heard that accusation before.

It's not something you would come up with searching google. Better start reading academic journals on the matter to get the real history. I'm a chemist though, not a historian so I don't have the links readily available unfortunately.

This post was edited by Thor123422 on Jul 1 2015 02:44pm
Gold: 34,389.00
Jul 1 2015 03:07pm
Quote (Dune1 @ Jul 1 2015 08:15pm)
Do you have the original manuscripts to compare? How do you know what the differences are?

Because ive seen 3 different Bibles, all written slightly different then the others.

That's the proof.

Also King James version came out in 1611 I think, not a 2,000 year old change...

This post was edited by Diablokgb on Jul 1 2015 03:08pm
Gold: 277,740.50
Jul 1 2015 07:02pm

Gold: 159.02
Jul 1 2015 09:18pm
As an active forum within the d2jsp community, the general expectation is that everyone will try to have fun and follow the general rules and policies of the site. Usually, that is what happens. Sometimes a reminder about what can and can’t be posted is worth reading for sake of helping keep the forums clean. The following is a list of topics that have recently been reposted too many times, and it’s not meant to be exhaustive of all the repeatedly reposted topics:

9/11 inside job threads
Marijuana legalization threads
"How to get into heaven when you die”
God isn't real threads/God exists threads
Bible passage threads for sake of spam
Racist or misogynist topics
News Stories that are straight copy/paste without commentary/points of discussion
Flame topics, topics related to vent, Wrong Forum topics

These topics tend to deliberately or unintentionally create spam fests. They also provoke drama. If those subjects are covered in topics, it’s a good idea to make sure that your posts have some content (it’s always a good idea, because spam isn’t okay), because the Moderator Team checks these topics more closely. Sometimes a joke will appear ambiguous, a casual remark will offend someone, etc..
Jul 2 2015 04:50am
^ every topic in that category is reposted weekly. Nothing happens lol. If anything its the fault of the people who get baited. Frodo gets free bumps.
Gold: 186.16
Jul 3 2015 08:24pm
Story of Angel and Cousin Sarah

Several years ago, My cousin was playing with a lighter in his bedroom. He caught a newspaper or comic book or something on fire and threw it on his bed. There were several people sleeping there. The whole house went up in flames. Everyone got out except for my 3 year old cousin sarah. They had written her off as dead. The whole house was in flames and filled with smoke. An off duty fireman happened to be driving by and saw the smoke. He stopped to help. He looked into the bedroom window and saw her sitting under the window with her hands on her head. He pulled her out and she was burned and has some scars to this day. He asked her how she knew to come over to that window and sit on the ground. She said that the man in the fire told her "Don't be afraid, to go over to the window sit down and put your hands over your head and face". Years later, she recounted her story with me. She said that the man had no face, light shining from it, he was 3 feet tall and dressed in white. He was floating in the corner of the room. My Grandparents were deeply committed Christians. Often times my Grandmother would be up all night, having trouble sleeping, praying for the safety of the family. At the same exact time that the fire was going on, my grandmother was several miles away sleeping in her bed. She heard a voice that told her "There's been a fire, Liz and the kids got out ok". A few minutes later, my Grandfather got the call on the phone "There's been a fire, liz and the kids got out ok" He tried to tell her what they said, but she already knew. The reason that God Spoke to her, I believe, is because it was HER prayer that the Lord was answering. Otherwise, my cousin would have died in the fire.
Go Back To Political & Religious Debate Topic List
Prev156789Next
Closed New Topic New Poll