d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > General Chat > Political & Religious Debate > Coronavirus Thread
Prev1595596597598599910Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 4,404.67
Jul 17 2020 03:31pm
Quote (fender @ 17 Jul 2020 21:09)
. NO, it is not at all true that reopening schools does not pose an increased infection risk

That's not what I said. I said the science is conclusive that reopening schools does not pose an increased risk to the health of the schoolkids. I never said that they wouldnt get infected - of course they would. But they dont have trouble dealing with the virus. All data shows that for kids, the rate of severe cases which end up with hospitalization or even death is not higher than with the seasonal flu or other childhood diseases.
Gold: 260.11
Jul 17 2020 03:35pm
Quote (Black XistenZ @ Jul 17 2020 04:31pm)
That's not what I said. I said the science is conclusive that reopening schools does not pose an increased risk to the health of the schoolkids. I never said that they wouldnt get infected - of course they would. But they dont have trouble dealing with the virus. All data shows that for kids, the rate of severe cases which end up with hospitalization or even death is not higher than with the seasonal flu or other childhood diseases.

Gonna play devils advocate real quick

Even if it's safe for the kids the kids all go home at night.
Jul 17 2020 05:48pm
Quote (Thor123422 @ 17 Jul 2020 23:35)
Gonna play devils advocate real quick

Even if it's safe for the kids the kids all go home at night.

Sure, and how to deal with that problem is what we were debating over the last one or two pages.
Irrespective from that, the science is - to the best of my knowledge - not really settled on how much school children spread the virus, or if there are maybe certain age thresholds to it, etc.

Either way, the CDC and the American Academy of Pediatrics recommend reopening schools, so the maliciously distorted McEnany quote which started all this back and forth is factually untrue.

(Btw, just to mention it: the AAP is a VERY liberal organization and has, over the past two decades, supported the Democratic/liberal position in almost every policy debate within their purview.)

This post was edited by Black XistenZ on Jul 17 2020 05:50pm
Gold: 0.00
Warn: 30%
Jul 17 2020 07:08pm
Quote (Black XistenZ @ 17 Jul 2020 23:31)

i love how you completely ignored the main point of my post, and even deleted it from the quote so it wouldn't show up again.

we know relatively little about possible long term consequences of corona infections in kids. yes, the lethality is currently comparable with the flu, but that doesn't mean it's really similarly harmless. i know this will probably be a difficult mental task for you, but try to stay with me here: where do you think those kids go after school? what about the 3.7 million teachers, and the millions of other school employees? you think some standing ovations or flyovers will do?

regardless of your ability to think just one step beyond your anti-intellectual 'it's not lethal for kids, so it's safe to re-open' logic, that's not even the point of the meme. again: there are conditions that have to be met in order to reopen schools somewhat safely - and the science-denying death cult is doing their best to obscure facts and data - for purely political reasons. that's what the meme is mocking. the fact that you try to strawman the argument to distract from how cynical and disgusting that is, is really despicable.

This post was edited by fender on Jul 17 2020 07:18pm
Jul 17 2020 07:32pm
Quote (Black XistenZ @ Jul 17 2020 04:48pm)
Sure, and how to deal with that problem is what we were debating over the last one or two pages.
Irrespective from that, the science is - to the best of my knowledge - not really settled on how much school children spread the virus, or if there are maybe certain age thresholds to it, etc.

Either way, the CDC and the American Academy of Pediatrics recommend reopening schools, so the maliciously distorted McEnany quote which started all this back and forth is factually untrue.

(Btw, just to mention it: the AAP is a VERY liberal organization and has, over the past two decades, supported the Democratic/liberal position in almost every policy debate within their purview.)

Does the CDC recommend reopening schools, or do they merely offer guidelines in the event of reopening?

Edit: The CDC and AAP guidelines, in looking at both of them, are a bit different. The CDC (as far as I can tell so far) doesn't recommend reopening schools and says that remote learning is the safest option; however, that in the event of reopening they have guidelines and recommendations. The AAP on the other hand, does seem to recommend having students physically present in-class as much as possible.

This post was edited by Handcuffs on Jul 17 2020 07:35pm
Jul 17 2020 07:46pm
Quote (fender @ 18 Jul 2020 03:08)
i love how you completely ignored the main point of my post, and even deleted it from the quote so it wouldn't show up again.

For the sake of readability, I tend to boil your posts down to those parts I am specifically referring to.

we know relatively little about possible long term consequences of corona infections in kids. yes, the lethality is currently comparable with the flu, but that doesn't mean it's really similarly harmless. i know this will probably be a difficult mental task for you, but try to stay with me here: where do you think those kids go after school? what about the 3.7 million teachers, and the millions of other school employees?

We've already had this discussion over the last 2-3 pages of this thread.

again: there are conditions that have to be met in order to reopen schools somewhat safely - and the science-denying death cult is doing their best to obscure facts and data - for purely political reasons. that's what the meme is mocking.

No, the meme is a bad faith effort at twisting McEnany's statement to imply that science is firmly against school reopenings per se.

Blocking CDC director Redfield from testifying before a staunchly Democratic House committee is probably intended to not give Democrats sound bites or ammunition against Trump and his course. Note that very recently, Redfield did testify before the Senate Health, Education, Labor, and Pensions Committee and also appeared before the House Energy and Commerce Committee.

Nonetheless, I do not support this type of stonewalling - the White House should allow Redfield to testify before every Congressional committee that seeks his expertise. I see why the WH stiff-arms the House Demcorats like that, but it's a bad move imho, both on the substance and for the involved institutions.

This post was edited by Black XistenZ on Jul 17 2020 07:47pm
Jul 17 2020 07:57pm
Quote (Handcuffs @ 18 Jul 2020 03:32)
Does the CDC recommend reopening schools, or do they merely offer guidelines in the event of reopening?

Edit: The CDC and AAP guidelines, in looking at both of them, are a bit different. The CDC (as far as I can tell so far) doesn't recommend reopening schools and says that remote learning is the safest option; however, that in the event of reopening they have guidelines and recommendations. The AAP on the other hand, does seem to recommend having students physically present in-class as much as possible.

https://thehill.com/policy/healthcare/506640-cdc-director-keeping-schools-closed-poses-greater-health-threat-to-children

"I'm of the point of view as a public health leader in this nation, that having the schools actually closed is a greater public health threat to the children than having the schools reopen," [CDC Director Robert] Redfield told The Hill [...]

"I think really people underestimate the public health consequences of having the schools closed on the kids," Redfield said at an event hosted by The Hill and sponsored by the Biosimilars Forum. "I'm confident we can open these schools safely, work in partnership with the local jurisdictions." [...]

"I don't think we should go overboard in trying to develop a system that doesn't recognize the reality that this virus really is relatively benign to those of us that are under the age of 20," Redfield said. He added that there is a need to "protect the vulnerable," such as children with underlying conditions, as well as teachers, but did not go into detail on how to do that.

The CDC diretor is stressing the impact of keeping schools closed, which is an indirect plea in favor of reopening, at least under the assumption that this can be done relatively safely if sufficient safety measures are implemented. He's signalling a strong willingness of the CDC to jointly flesh out those safety measures together with local authorities and bodies.

This post was edited by Black XistenZ on Jul 17 2020 07:58pm
Jul 17 2020 08:12pm
Quote (Black XistenZ @ Jul 17 2020 06:57pm)
https://thehill.com/policy/healthcare/506640-cdc-director-keeping-schools-closed-poses-greater-health-threat-to-children

The CDC diretor is stressing the impact of keeping schools closed, which is an indirect plea in favor of reopening, at least under the assumption that this can be done relatively safely if sufficient safety measures are implemented. He's signalling a strong willingness of the CDC to jointly flesh out those safety measures together with local authorities and bodies.

Interesting. If that's the foot the CDC wants to lead with, then they should clarify that in the guidelines. The guidelines seem to suggest that the CDC is deferring to local, state, and federal parties to make a decision on reopening and that the guidelines are merely supplemental to those decisions.
Warn: 30%
Jul 17 2020 08:31pm
Quote (Black XistenZ @ 18 Jul 2020 03:46)
For the sake of readability, I tend to boil your posts down to those parts I am specifically referring to.

We've already had this discussion over the last 2-3 pages of this thread.

No, the meme is a bad faith effort at twisting McEnany's statement to imply that science is firmly against school reopenings per se.

Blocking CDC director Redfield from testifying before a staunchly Democratic House committee is probably intended to not give Democrats sound bites or ammunition against Trump and his course. Note that very recently, Redfield did testify before the Senate Health, Education, Labor, and Pensions Committee and also appeared before the House Energy and Commerce Committee.

Nonetheless, I do not support this type of stonewalling - the White House should allow Redfield to testify before every Congressional committee that seeks his expertise. I see why the WH stiff-arms the House Demcorats like that, but it's a bad move imho, both on the substance and for the involved institutions.

i love how you double and triple down on how you simply didn't get the joke. maybe to not comment on the FACT that the science-denying deathcult is trying to withhold facts and numbers from the CDC and the public. i'd looove to hear your spin on how that also totally makes sense to you too.

does it really not bother you that you're doing propaganda for the laughing stock of the whole world here, fighting desperately to make your silly little excuses and rationalisations for what every halfway intelligent person can identify as completely failed, and concerningly authoritarian approach to a pandemic that has killed >140k people in america?

i guess you really bought into mcbimbo's 'don't let science get into the way of your feelings' motto. it should be the official slogan of the republican snowflake party really.

This post was edited by fender on Jul 17 2020 08:33pm
Jul 17 2020 08:33pm
Quote (Handcuffs @ 18 Jul 2020 04:12)
Interesting. If that's the foot the CDC wants to lead with, then they should clarify that in the guidelines. The guidelines seem to suggest that the CDC is deferring to local, state, and federal parties to make a decision on reopening and that the guidelines are merely supplemental to those decisions.

Honestly, I think that the CDC should assemble a unified framework/guideline, but that the ultimate decision about reopening and the toughness of the safety measures should be decided at the local level. The federal agencies and authorities should stay the fuck out of that decision.

Not a fan of Kemp/the state government trying to prevent Atlanta/a city from making masks mandatory either. At the end of the day, this pandemic is very local in nature, the situation on the ground can vary a ton from county to county. Mandating masks can make a ton of sense for Atlanta and be unnecessary for rural Georgia, and neither of these should make a decision for the other. Making these decisions on the most granular, local level possible also helps depoliticize the mask issue.
Go Back To Political & Religious Debate Topic List
Prev1595596597598599910Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll