d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > General Chat > Political & Religious Debate > Coronavirus Thread
Prev1594595596597598910Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 57.00
Jul 17 2020 10:58am

>if you are feeling sad, despondent, lonesome, or worried at all due to the 2 week 4 month quarantine and shutdown, then you probably have covid-19

This post was edited by excellence on Jul 17 2020 10:59am
Gold: 2,504.69
Jul 17 2020 11:08am
Quote (Black XistenZ @ Jul 17 2020 11:51am)
Those are good points, I just disagree with the notion that these issues cant be brought under control with caution and hygiene measures. Like letting air into classrooms every 20 minutes, or doing handwashing at the end of each class. If some older students (say those aged 16+) are doing a lot of remote learning, that opens up facilities for the younger grades, so they could split their classes into two groups who don't interact with each other as much, etc.

Counterquestion: if someone believes in the "vaccines might very well never be available"-theory, wouldnt this automatically imply that we at some point have to reopen schools, no matter what it means for the spread?

To answer your question: even if one believes that a vaccine is coming, it won't be broadly available before late spring of 2021 at the earliest, might also take until the fall of 2021. It's simply a tradeoff: what would cause more damage - somewhat increased infection levels due to reopening schools with as strong precautions as possible, or keeping schools closed for an entire school year? The latter option would just lead to a ton of things which sneakily cause catastrophic long-term damage.

Let me guess out of my ass: if we dont open schools for the upcoming school year, there might be something like $400 billion in immediate economic damage from parents having to stay home to look after their kids, $1 trillion in long-term economic damage from the next generation falling behind on its education and not entirely making up for it later, $500 billion in long-term damage from missed development of social skills as well as psychological conditions developed in some kids form the long isolation, and god knows which amount of financial and social damage from reinforced social divisions (kids from poor and/or uneducated households fall far more behind during homeschooling).

So the explanation for why I believe both in a vaccine and in reopening schools is that my assessment of the stakes of reopening schools are just huuuuuge, so huge that it might make sense to sacrifice a couple of thousands lives via allowing a higher covid spread. Those are exceedingly complex and high-stakes tradeoffs, but they are inevitable - and I'm sure that experts around the world are thinking these things through behind the scenes.

this just isn't feasible at all for schools to do. especially in lower grade levels, which are also as you say the ones most in need of in school learning as older can do virtual easier. splitting classrooms = doubling your teachers and aides. how exactly can a school even begin to do that? my wife has to beg for years just to get 1 more aid, and there's 60 or so at her school.

i with the experience i have tho just cannot get past the idea that you can stop kids from spreading germs. refer to my original post about dividing by zero. its a non-starter. it cannot be done. children aged 5-10 are just natural germ spreaders. when i told my wife about this topic and the idea of stopping kids from spreading germs she just laughed for about a minute straight.
Gold: 285.00
Jul 17 2020 11:22am
Quote (Black XistenZ @ Jul 17 2020 12:51pm)
Those are good points, I just disagree with the notion that these issues cant be brought under control with caution and hygiene measures. Like letting air into classrooms every 20 minutes, or doing handwashing at the end of each class. If some older students (say those aged 16+) are doing a lot of remote learning, that opens up facilities for the younger grades, so they could split their classes into two groups who don't interact with each other as much, etc.

Counterquestion: if someone believes in the "vaccines might very well never be available"-theory, wouldnt this automatically imply that we at some point have to reopen schools, no matter what it means for the spread?

To answer your question: even if one believes that a vaccine is coming, it won't be broadly available before late spring of 2021 at the earliest, might also take until the fall of 2021. It's simply a tradeoff: what would cause more damage - somewhat increased infection levels due to reopening schools with as strong precautions as possible, or keeping schools closed for an entire school year? The latter option would just lead to a ton of things which sneakily cause catastrophic long-term damage.

Let me guess out of my ass: if we dont open schools for the upcoming school year, there might be something like $400 billion in immediate economic damage from parents having to stay home to look after their kids, $1 trillion in long-term economic damage from the next generation falling behind on its education and not entirely making up for it later, $500 billion in long-term damage from missed development of social skills as well as psychological conditions developed in some kids form the long isolation, and god knows which amount of financial and social damage from reinforced social divisions (kids from poor and/or uneducated households fall far more behind during homeschooling).

So the explanation for why I believe both in a vaccine and in reopening schools is that my assessment of the stakes of reopening schools are just huuuuuge, so huge that it might make sense to sacrifice a couple of thousands lives via allowing a higher covid spread. Those are exceedingly complex and high-stakes tradeoffs, but they are inevitable - and I'm sure that experts around the world are thinking these things through behind the scenes.

Also the issue of those who aren't early adopters if technology. I just will not get this newly rushed vaccine, nor will my kids.

It would be insane to trust it after all the things that have happened in medicine.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/society/2009/jul/29/thalidomide-birth-defects-asbestos-drugs

Example of a wonder drug for example.

This post was edited by Skinned on Jul 17 2020 11:23am
Gold: 285.00
Jul 17 2020 11:26am
Dewine vetos GOP bill meant to undermine disaster response:
https://www.daytondailynews.com/news/dewine-vetoes-bill-to-undercut-power-of-public-health-orders/5EUQDQSVIBAAHK6EWALSQ5LXKI/?outputType=amp

Why are intelligent people such a minority in the current GOP?
Jul 17 2020 11:29am
Quote (Skinned @ Jul 17 2020 12:26pm)

Why are intelligent people such a minority in the country

ftfy, but cant answer.
Gold: 17,384.69
Jul 17 2020 11:31am
Quote (excellence @ 17 Jul 2020 18:58)
https://i.ibb.co/KqGmVPj/55-F59957-48-B6-4068-8-D05-0-A4743-DB15-BD.png

>if you are feeling sad, despondent, lonesome, or worried at all due to the 2 week 4 month quarantine and shutdown, then you probably have covid-19

Juanita, you cant be in a bad mood if you dead lollololol
Gold: 12,730.67
Jul 17 2020 12:00pm
Quote (Skinned @ Jul 17 2020 10:26am)
Dewine vetos GOP bill meant to undermine disaster response:
https://www.daytondailynews.com/news/dewine-vetoes-bill-to-undercut-power-of-public-health-orders/5EUQDQSVIBAAHK6EWALSQ5LXKI/?outputType=amp

Why are intelligent people such a minority in the current GOP?

It affects the country, but the GOP champions anti-intellectualism. It's part of their official party platform.
Gold: 4,404.67
Jul 17 2020 12:08pm
Quote (thesnipa @ 17 Jul 2020 19:08)
this just isn't feasible at all for schools to do. especially in lower grade levels, which are also as you say the ones most in need of in school learning as older can do virtual easier. splitting classrooms = doubling your teachers and aides. how exactly can a school even begin to do that? my wife has to beg for years just to get 1 more aid, and there's 60 or so at her school.

i with the experience i have tho just cannot get past the idea that you can stop kids from spreading germs. refer to my original post about dividing by zero. its a non-starter. it cannot be done. children aged 5-10 are just natural germ spreaders. when i told my wife about this topic and the idea of stopping kids from spreading germs she just laughed for about a minute straight.

Well... I was thinking too much about the school system in Germany, which is notorious for short school days. Our students typically start classes around 8am and finish around 1pm. Under this system, it would be possible to split classes and teach some of them during the afternoon.
But even in a country with longer school days like the U.S., it should be possible to cancel some non-essential stuff like drama classes, and it should be possible to hire additional staff if necessary. Unemployed teachers, but you could also hire college graduates who have trouble finding a job. For example, why shouldnt someone who just finished his math degree and doesnt find a job in the current economy not be hired as an assistant math teacher for 9 months?

Regarding the germs: of course you can't stop kids from spreading germs. But Covid has specific ways of transmission, it's not like anyone who got touched by a kid with its greasy dirty hands is automatically infected.

Quote (Skinned @ 17 Jul 2020 19:22)
Also the issue of those who aren't early adopters if technology. I just will not get this newly rushed vaccine, nor will my kids.

It would be insane to trust it after all the things that have happened in medicine.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/society/2009/jul/29/thalidomide-birth-defects-asbestos-drugs

Example of a wonder drug for example.

Dito. It's obvious that these vaccines will be released with trials that are far less thorough than usual. Since I'm not in the risk group myself, there's just no way I'm gonna inject this shit for the first couple of months after it comes out.

This post was edited by Black XistenZ on Jul 17 2020 12:10pm
Jul 17 2020 12:24pm
Quote (Black XistenZ @ Jul 17 2020 01:08pm)
Well... I was thinking too much about the school system in Germany, which is notorious for short school days. Our students typically start classes around 8am and finish around 1pm. Under this system, it would be possible to split classes and teach some of them during the afternoon.
But even in a country with longer school days like the U.S., it should be possible to cancel some non-essential stuff like drama classes, and it should be possible to hire additional staff if necessary. Unemployed teachers, but you could also hire college graduates who have trouble finding a job. For example, why shouldnt someone who just finished his math degree and doesnt find a job in the current economy not be hired as an assistant math teacher for 9 months?

thats just not feasible in the USA. we pay teachers with funds largely collected from local property tax. the money to pay temporary teachers has to come from somewhere, and we both know Trump isnt gonna foot the bill. it will not work in america, period.

and u cant selectively cancel classes lol, gl even trying that. people wont wear a mask during a pandemic they're not giving up classes someone deems non essential.

Regarding the germs: of course you can't stop kids from spreading germs. But Covid has specific ways of transmission, it's not like anyone who got touched by a kid with its greasy dirty hands is automatically infected.

but again, you're using a single case then acting as if that translates to millions. not a childs hands and a person touching them, millions of hands, millions of touches, for hundreds of days. things at scale can be terrifying.

This post was edited by thesnipa on Jul 17 2020 12:25pm
Gold: 0.00
Warn: 30%
Jul 17 2020 01:09pm
Quote (Black XistenZ @ 17 Jul 2020 15:50)
Your meme was insinuating that science is against reopening schools, which is objectively false.

The science is very clear: reopening schools is super important for children, and it does not pose an increased risk for their own health. The only critical point is preventing schoolschildren from contracting and spreading the virus to other segments of the population when schools are reopened. But those are details that can be fleshed out.

the cult of science-deniers is at it again, holy shit. NO, it is not at all true that reopening schools does not pose an increased infection risk, let alone that the 'science' on it is very clear. those are ridiculous and obvious lies, you're spreading very dangerous propaganda there.
what's true is that reopening schools UNDER STRICT CONDITIONS, THAT YOUR GOD EMPEROR REJECTED, AND SUBSEQUENTLY MADE DATA UNAVAILABLE TO THE CDC is recommended by SOME experts (again, by far not by all of them), but that is NOT what the meme was about.
let me get my crayons for you short bus kids: it's about the fact that trump, in true authoritarian fashion, attempts to make crucial data unavailable to the cdc, so no one can know if the conditions the cdc requires for a 'safe' (lol) reopening of schools will be met. that's why it says 'the science should not stand in the way' (her words btw).
Go Back To Political & Religious Debate Topic List
Prev1594595596597598910Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll