d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > General Chat > Political & Religious Debate > Coronavirus Thread
Prev1593594595596597910Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 285.00
Jul 17 2020 05:39am
Quote (Black XistenZ @ Jul 16 2020 03:44pm)
He's gotta suck it up for the sake of his 2024 run... :baby:

The guy has the charisma of a bucket of cold piss.
Jul 17 2020 05:48am
Quote (excellence @ Jul 16 2020 09:03pm)
both better than Cuomo the butcher of grandma and grandpa in the nursing homes

I got an email from a certain nusing home yesterday that read: "NOW TAKING COVID 19 PATIENTS, MOSTLY PRIVATE ROOMS". Mostly private? Lol.

I know i mentioned that Covid as a skilled need pays more than longterm care. A skilled need can charge insurance or Medicare up to 1000 dollars a day while longterm care pays 250-300ish a day through medicaid. Nursing homes were dumping people left and right to get these cash cows....that and private insurances were waiving authorizations for step downs....you get to step down with a promise of "we got you" and no actual authorization numbers.

UnitedHealthcare managed medicare is the worse offender for this. They have been refusing to give auth numbers to use to actually get paid and instead gave auto approvals with reference numbers they emphasize are not authorizations.

We are going to see a huge rise and medical bankruptcies again because of this. And is just because the insurance company is too expensive to operate and keep your promises so there would just break their promises and stay open
Gold: 2,504.69
Jul 17 2020 07:25am
Quote (Skinned @ Jul 17 2020 06:48am)
I got an email from a certain nusing home yesterday that read: "NOW TAKING COVID 19 PATIENTS, MOSTLY PRIVATE ROOMS". Mostly private? Lol.

I know i mentioned that Covid as a skilled need pays more than longterm care. A skilled need can charge insurance or Medicare up to 1000 dollars a day while longterm care pays 250-300ish a day through medicaid. Nursing homes were dumping people left and right to get these cash cows....that and private insurances were waiving authorizations for step downs....you get to step down with a promise of "we got you" and no actual authorization numbers.

UnitedHealthcare managed medicare is the worse offender for this. They have been refusing to give auth numbers to use to actually get paid and instead gave auto approvals with reference numbers they emphasize are not authorizations.

We are going to see a huge rise and medical bankruptcies again because of this. And is just because the insurance company is too expensive to operate and keep your promises so there would just break their promises and stay open

Public Pool now open, mostly private showers and changing rooms.

i'd go.
Gold: 4,404.67
Jul 17 2020 07:50am
Quote (fender @ 17 Jul 2020 09:53)
yes. under strict guidelines... that trump didn't like... and subsequently decided to withhold data from the cdc...

you're doing it again. ignoring the blatantly obvious in order to downplay the shittyness of this administration. you just can't help it, can you?

Your meme was insinuating that science is against reopening schools, which is objectively false.

The science is very clear: reopening schools is super important for children, and it does not pose an increased risk for their own health. The only critical point is preventing schoolschildren from contracting and spreading the virus to other segments of the population when schools are reopened. But those are details that can be fleshed out.
Jul 17 2020 07:53am
Quote (Skinned @ 17 Jul 2020 13:39)
The guy has the charisma of a bucket of cold piss.

Yes, and there's no way he wins the GOP nomination, let alone the general. But it's clearly what Pence is up to. There's no other explanation for why he's willing to get humiliated and why he allows Trump to make him his bitchboi all the time.
Jul 17 2020 07:54am
Quote (Black XistenZ @ Jul 17 2020 08:50am)
Your meme was insinuating that science is against reopening schools, which is objectively false.

The science is very clear: reopening schools is super important for children, and it does not pose an increased risk for their own health. The only critical point is preventing schoolschildren from contracting and spreading the virus to other segments of the population when schools are reopened. But those are details that can be fleshed out.

hey once we get that figured out we can move on to dividing by zero and drawing a 370 degree circle, maybe time travel or walk on water.

the idea that kids are going to contract germs, and even though it wont kill them we'll prevent them from passing on germs, is one of the more halfcocked ideas ive ever read.

If that doesnt seem silly to you have a kid, work in a class room, maybe watch Kindergarden Cop, idk.
Jul 17 2020 07:59am
Quote (thesnipa @ 17 Jul 2020 15:54)
hey once we get that figured out we can move on to dividing by zero and drawing a 370 degree circle, maybe time travel or walk on water.

the idea that kids are going to contract germs, and even though it wont kill them we'll prevent them from passing on germs, is one of the more halfcocked ideas ive ever read.

If that doesnt seem silly to you have a kid, work in a class room, maybe watch Kindergarden Cop, idk.

What you said would make sense if children had the same likelihood of spreading the virus as adults. But all preliminary studies suggest that their chance of spreading it is magnitudes lower than that of adults.

This post was edited by Black XistenZ on Jul 17 2020 07:59am
Jul 17 2020 08:13am
Quote (Black XistenZ @ Jul 17 2020 08:59am)
What you said would make sense if children had the same likelihood of spreading the virus as adults. But all preliminary studies suggest that their chance of spreading it is magnitudes lower than that of adults.

spreading is one factor, contracting is another, hygiene is another.

children dont respect social distancing and wont learn it quickly, children dont wash hands nearly as much, etc.

those studies are based in the idea that most children are asymptomatic, and that most asymptomatic people do not have as many globules to cough up and spread. aka if a kid with covid coughs he/she is less likely to spread it than an adult who likely has more flem and other symptoms. i was told as much when i was on quarentine, basically if i had no symptoms not to get tested because it may come back negative even though i have it because the swab wouldnt contact flem with germs in it.

but we're also speaking in generalities, an ok concept for the question "do i hug my nephew" but not a good concept for "do we send millions into schools". some things work fine on a small level but the larger the herd the less it's valid. kids having a lower chance to spread is still dangerous in a sample size of millions. just as "lets keep grandma from kissing the kids" works fine for your family but "lets keep all grandmas from kissing all kids" isnt realistic.

my wife changes diapers, gets sneezed on 10 times a week, has to help kids blow noses with gross results, kids cough in her mouth, etc. and about half of her kids are in multi-generational living situations.

on a tangential note why is it im finding in real life the same people who are saying "dont worry vaccine is coming" are the same ones who say "we cant just cancel in person school forever". is the vaccine coming or not?
Jul 17 2020 10:25am
Quote (Black XistenZ @ Jul 17 2020 09:53am)
Yes, and there's no way he wins the GOP nomination, let alone the general. But it's clearly what Pence is up to. There's no other explanation for why he's willing to get humiliated and why he allows Trump to make him his bitchboi all the time.

Hes a good soldier. I would have a pence in my army. He might be a true believer too. He doesn't have a lot to worry about in terms of competition in Indiana either.

Quote (thesnipa @ Jul 17 2020 09:25am)
Public Pool now open, mostly private showers and changing rooms.

i'd go.

I get my new pool liner next week. Converting it to salt water too.

Why don't people just swim in their own pools? #priviledge

This post was edited by Skinned on Jul 17 2020 10:28am
Jul 17 2020 10:51am
Quote (thesnipa @ 17 Jul 2020 16:13)
spreading is one factor, contracting is another, hygiene is another.

children dont respect social distancing and wont learn it quickly, children dont wash hands nearly as much, etc.

those studies are based in the idea that most children are asymptomatic, and that most asymptomatic people do not have as many globules to cough up and spread. aka if a kid with covid coughs he/she is less likely to spread it than an adult who likely has more flem and other symptoms. i was told as much when i was on quarentine, basically if i had no symptoms not to get tested because it may come back negative even though i have it because the swab wouldnt contact flem with germs in it.

but we're also speaking in generalities, an ok concept for the question "do i hug my nephew" but not a good concept for "do we send millions into schools". some things work fine on a small level but the larger the herd the less it's valid. kids having a lower chance to spread is still dangerous in a sample size of millions. just as "lets keep grandma from kissing the kids" works fine for your family but "lets keep all grandmas from kissing all kids" isnt realistic.

my wife changes diapers, gets sneezed on 10 times a week, has to help kids blow noses with gross results, kids cough in her mouth, etc. and about half of her kids are in multi-generational living situations.

Those are good points, I just disagree with the notion that these issues cant be brought under control with caution and hygiene measures. Like letting air into classrooms every 20 minutes, or doing handwashing at the end of each class. If some older students (say those aged 16+) are doing a lot of remote learning, that opens up facilities for the younger grades, so they could split their classes into two groups who don't interact with each other as much, etc.

on a tangential note why is it im finding in real life the same people who are saying "dont worry vaccine is coming" are the same ones who say "we cant just cancel in person school forever". is the vaccine coming or not?

Counterquestion: if someone believes in the "vaccines might very well never be available"-theory, wouldnt this automatically imply that we at some point have to reopen schools, no matter what it means for the spread?

To answer your question: even if one believes that a vaccine is coming, it won't be broadly available before late spring of 2021 at the earliest, might also take until the fall of 2021. It's simply a tradeoff: what would cause more damage - somewhat increased infection levels due to reopening schools with as strong precautions as possible, or keeping schools closed for an entire school year? The latter option would just lead to a ton of things which sneakily cause catastrophic long-term damage.

Let me guess out of my ass: if we dont open schools for the upcoming school year, there might be something like $400 billion in immediate economic damage from parents having to stay home to look after their kids, $1 trillion in long-term economic damage from the next generation falling behind on its education and not entirely making up for it later, $500 billion in long-term damage from missed development of social skills as well as psychological conditions developed in some kids form the long isolation, and god knows which amount of financial and social damage from reinforced social divisions (kids from poor and/or uneducated households fall far more behind during homeschooling).

So the explanation for why I believe both in a vaccine and in reopening schools is that my assessment of the stakes of reopening schools are just huuuuuge, so huge that it might make sense to sacrifice a couple of thousands lives via allowing a higher covid spread. Those are exceedingly complex and high-stakes tradeoffs, but they are inevitable - and I'm sure that experts around the world are thinking these things through behind the scenes.

This post was edited by Black XistenZ on Jul 17 2020 10:54am
Go Back To Political & Religious Debate Topic List
Prev1593594595596597910Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll