d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > General Chat > Political & Religious Debate > Coronavirus Thread
Prev1583584585586587910Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 2,504.69
Jul 14 2020 02:32pm
Quote (EndlessSky @ Jul 14 2020 02:39pm)
The purpose of science is to predict the future. Im hard pressed to think of a time when you have predicted anything correctly policy wise.

like the time in my automation thread when you claimed at a certain level of job loss the american people would rise up against the machines and take back their hard labor jobs from robots?

:rofl:
Gold: 5.77
Jul 14 2020 02:33pm
Quote (EndlessSky @ Jul 14 2020 12:49pm)
I think one thing people overlook is that we are one of the most obese countries on earth and we have some of the highest vitamin d3 deficiency rates. Because of this and a lower IQ than europe we will never have the success seen in europe and asia.

California is proof of this because they were essentially 100% closed but still had worse results than places like florida and texas.

Florida is doing worse (Over the past two weeks, Florida's positive rate has never fallen below 11.25%, and last Wednesday it surged past 18%). So is Texas (25% lower population, same # of cases).

California hit a 14 day average of 7.4% on Sunday, up from 5.6% two weeks before. Because of reopening.
Gold: 4,404.67
Jul 14 2020 02:46pm
Quote (dro94 @ 14 Jul 2020 22:27)
What?

He thinks blacks have a much lower IQ than whites, and the States have more blacks than Europe, so....

This post was edited by Black XistenZ on Jul 14 2020 02:47pm
Gold: 2,617.52
Jul 14 2020 03:03pm
Quote (dro94 @ Jul 14 2020 04:27pm)
What?

Us IQ is 97 average. Italy for example has average IQ of 102.

Quote (Black XistenZ @ Jul 14 2020 04:46pm)
He thinks blacks have a much lower IQ than whites, and the States have more blacks than Europe, so....

Science doesnt care about your feelings.

This post was edited by EndlessSky on Jul 14 2020 03:04pm
Gold: 2,617.52
Jul 14 2020 03:07pm
Quote (thesnipa @ Jul 14 2020 04:32pm)
like the time in my automation thread when you claimed at a certain level of job loss the american people would rise up against the machines and take back their hard labor jobs from robots?

:rofl:

I was probably wrong then.

As far as your automation theory - if it does lead to UBI, it will collapse the nuclear family which will eventually collapse the country as it did with the Roman empire.
Gold: 22,164.69
Jul 14 2020 03:09pm
Quote (Black XistenZ @ Jul 14 2020 03:46pm)

I haven't been paying close attention, have social scientists gotten around to coming up with new metrics to correct for the repeated and verifiable racial intelligence stratification in everything from RPM to WAIS to RIAS?
I figured they could emulate Harvard and have a 'personality' score.
Gold: 260.11
Jul 14 2020 03:10pm
Quote (Black XistenZ @ Jul 14 2020 03:46pm)

If you go back and look at the studies that said blacks have lower IQ than whites it usually goes something like

Paper 1: We gave factory workers in Nigeria with no education and 80 hour work weeks a 10 question pattern test and six months later gave them a different pattern test. They did better the second time.

Paper 2: We took these pattern test papers in Africa and extrapolated IQ from them. Ignore that the test cannot be converted to IQ. Africans have an average IQ of 65. However, using the same method, we found that upper class students from the well funded school in the same city as the factory have an IQ of 120. Maybe there's something here about education and background with these tests?

Garbage tier journal paper 3 / Political Book: We took the results from Paper 2 and specifically compared the factory workers to rich white kids in New York. Since the black people had an IQ of 65 and the rich white kids had an IQ of 120, that means whites are more intelligent. We also found that IQ is highly heritable, and ignore that heritability as a metric does not separate nurture in this case.

Quote (Goomshill @ Jul 14 2020 04:09pm)
I haven't been paying close attention, have social scientists gotten around to coming up with new metrics to correct for the repeated and verifiable racial intelligence stratification in everything from RPM to WAIS to RIAS?
I figured they could emulate Harvard and have a 'personality' score.

You really should look at the papers often cited to say that blacks have lower IQ. They are true garbage. Often comparing apartheid state blacks to inner city blacks and saying "look, they're the same! There's no prejudice in America so it can't be background!"

This post was edited by Thor123422 on Jul 14 2020 03:12pm
Gold: 22,164.69
Jul 14 2020 03:19pm
Quote (Thor123422 @ Jul 14 2020 04:10pm)
If you go back and look at the studies that said blacks have lower IQ than whites it usually goes something like

Paper 1: We gave factory workers in Nigeria with no education and 80 hour work weeks a 10 question pattern test and six months later gave them a different pattern test. They did better the second time.

Paper 2: We took these pattern test papers in Africa and extrapolated IQ from them. Ignore that the test cannot be converted to IQ. Africans have an average IQ of 65. However, using the same method, we found that upper class students from the well funded school in the same city as the factory have an IQ of 120. Maybe there's something here about education and background with these tests?

Garbage tier journal paper 3 / Political Book: We took the results from Paper 2 and specifically compared the factory workers to rich white kids in New York. Since the black people had an IQ of 65 and the rich white kids had an IQ of 120, that means whites are more intelligent. Let's cut welfare.

No actually it was repeatedly confirmed when normalizing for socio-political backgrounds and even in particular cases with identical upbringings in the same households.
Its something that holds true whether testing is tailored to cultural backgrounds and considerations like WAIS-IV or whether its pure nonverbal pattern recognition like RPM
This was all extremely trodden ground after The Bell Curve, and its just anti-science denialism at this point to pretend there's no racial differences in intelligence testing. You can argue about to what degree that chalks up to nature vs nurture, but scientists took a thousand swings at trying to disprove it as testing error or observational bias or whatever other phenomenon and failed. Heck, some of the evidence even lays out pretty conclusively that black and white children have almost identical results in early childhood but then swiftly diverge at adolescence. You don't have to buy into Rushton's blunt application of r/K or other genetic explanations to merely observe what is proven beyond doubts.

The anti-science left has led a crusade against this uncomfortable fact, and now its enough to get you crucified in academia to even mention an observation supported by such an incredible mountain of evidence.
Which is why I think its only a matter of time until the orthodoxy establishes some revision to testing protocols to give black people a leg up and handicap the asians, they do it in college admissions.

You really should look at the papers often cited to say that blacks have lower IQ. They are true garbage. Often comparing apartheid state blacks to inner city blacks and saying "look, they're the same! There's no prejudice in America so it can't be background!"

I have "looked at" the papers. We've had dozens of topics on PARD about this very subject in the past. We've beaten this dead horse into a chunky salsa.
At this point we can pretty much say conclusively that the earth is flat, the climate is warming and IQ distribution is stratified by race.

This post was edited by Goomshill on Jul 14 2020 03:20pm
Gold: 2,504.69
Jul 14 2020 03:29pm
Quote (EndlessSky @ Jul 14 2020 04:07pm)
I was probably wrong then.

As far as your automation theory - if it does lead to UBI, it will collapse the nuclear family which will eventually collapse the country as it did with the Roman empire.

Automation leaves no options but ubi. Its just a matter of when we start it and how many people starve as a result of us waiting. It's not just the nuclear family at risk. This new frontier will change all of life.
Gold: 260.11
Jul 14 2020 04:05pm
Quote (Goomshill @ Jul 14 2020 04:19pm)
No actually it was repeatedly confirmed when normalizing for socio-political backgrounds and even in particular cases with identical upbringings in the same households.
Its something that holds true whether testing is tailored to cultural backgrounds and considerations like WAIS-IV or whether its pure nonverbal pattern recognition like RPM
This was all extremely trodden ground after The Bell Curve, and its just anti-science denialism at this point to pretend there's no racial differences in intelligence testing. You can argue about to what degree that chalks up to nature vs nurture, but scientists took a thousand swings at trying to disprove it as testing error or observational bias or whatever other phenomenon and failed. Heck, some of the evidence even lays out pretty conclusively that black and white children have almost identical results in early childhood but then swiftly diverge at adolescence. You don't have to buy into Rushton's blunt application of r/K or other genetic explanations to merely observe what is proven beyond doubts.

The anti-science left has led a crusade against this uncomfortable fact, and now its enough to get you crucified in academia to even mention an observation supported by such an incredible mountain of evidence.
Which is why I think its only a matter of time until the orthodoxy establishes some revision to testing protocols to give black people a leg up and handicap the asians, they do it in college admissions.

I have "looked at" the papers. We've had dozens of topics on PARD about this very subject in the past. We've beaten this dead horse into a chunky salsa.
At this point we can pretty much say conclusively that the earth is flat, the climate is warming and IQ distribution is stratified by race.

The last time we talked about it you posted the NYT letter and not much else. I pointed out that it has more criticism than support, and it was left at that. It's been a while.

The Bell Curve is a specific piece of garbage that used the exact methods I was referencing to make their conclusions. It's truly a terrible book based on shoddy science that has been debunked over and over but is still relied upon by the science-illiterate. (I am of course being hyperbolic. We can discuss specific parts of the book and its support, but don't get me wrong. It was the specific thing I was referencing with the shoddy methods above. It is not beyond reproach and has heavy criticism of the academia surrounding it, and that is compounded by the non-sequitur political recommendations it makes as well.)

This post was edited by Thor123422 on Jul 14 2020 04:18pm
Go Back To Political & Religious Debate Topic List
Prev1583584585586587910Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll