d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > General Chat > Political & Religious Debate > Coronavirus Thread
Prev1571572573574575910Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 2,504.69
Jul 8 2020 09:31am
Quote (excellence @ Jul 8 2020 10:28am)
yeah this is a great opportunity for society to figure out how to properly adapt to legitimate online learning. in undergrad the current structure seems to be “go read this and take a test” which is basically self-learning and not worth the current prices, so there are plenty of ways to improve what will become a new part of education from preschool to tertiary education

its not very often that we get a wake up call before the shit hits the fan, at least covid has a silver lining. it forced innovation in education, at home work, and telecommunications generally.
Gold: 57.00
Jul 8 2020 09:38am
Quote (thesnipa @ 8 Jul 2020 11:31)
its not very often that we get a wake up call before the shit hits the fan, at least covid has a silver lining. it forced innovation in education, at home work, and telecommunications generally.

yeah there are so many innovations just begging to be implemented. im glad at my shop we moved from webex and zoom to teams (which is microsoft repacking their acquisition of skype, one of my all-time favs along with ventrillo) which seems to run much smoother. i like the flexibility teleworking offers, although some of the pains are centered around not being able to walk into someones office/cube to quickly discuss a problem and having to coordinate around 5 people’s schedules for what should be a 10 min chat.

on another front home prices outside cities are going to go up so commercial real estate will have to adjust while residential rises due to more at home work. i’d gander someone specifically trained in home renovations that makes office space in a home will do well

upper education was a bubble waiting to burst for decades now, this certainly wasn’t the way i saw it happening but i’d wager a lot of people are sitting in on their kid’s online lectures and are thinking “i was paying $30k+ a year (or more!) for this?!?!
Jul 8 2020 09:54am
Quote (excellence @ Jul 8 2020 10:38am)
yeah there are so many innovations just begging to be implemented. im glad at my shop we moved from webex and zoom to teams (which is microsoft repacking their acquisition of skype, one of my all-time favs along with ventrillo) which seems to run much smoother. i like the flexibility teleworking offers, although some of the pains are centered around not being able to walk into someones office/cube to quickly discuss a problem and having to coordinate around 5 people’s schedules for what should be a 10 min chat.

on another front home prices outside cities are going to go up so commercial real estate will have to adjust while residential rises due to more at home work. i’d gander someone specifically trained in home renovations that makes office space in a home will do well

upper education was a bubble waiting to burst for decades now, this certainly wasn’t the way i saw it happening but i’d wager a lot of people are sitting in on their kid’s online lectures and are thinking “i was paying $30k+ a year (or more!) for this?!?!

yup feel that every day, multiple salesmen and project managers here working from home and a quick pop in is now an ordeal.
Gold: 3.33
Jul 8 2020 11:22am
Quote (Bazi @ Jul 7 2020 11:02pm)
American coronavirus numbers are also higher than SARS, does that mean American coronavirus is extremely serious? I’m not deflecting, this argument of yours requires clarification. There is really no point to being up SARS here

Regarding Chinese data: one argue they have xyz claim to come up with the numbers. I didn’t know geopolitically what was going on at the time. Plus I’ve already said I was wrong in ignoring the early Chinese data so why are you fixating on this

On the point of immunity, again, there wasn’t any real data to suggest it was anything atypical from traditional coronavirus, aside from the Chinese numbers

Hence why the rest of the world and medical community was suspect of what was actually going on

I react to data as it comes and try not to get emotional. When rest of the worlds data started coming out then I changed positions which was iirc still earlier than a lot of pundits.

also I’m not taking it personally lol. As another note, around this time Chinese whom you are highlighting was also saying there isn’t person to person spread. They have a history of misplaying these incidents, both underplaying and overplaying

OK, so you based your opinion on thinking China were overplaying the effects of a virus when their history is covering things up.

But they said there was no person to person spread, and you believed that part of it? Wouldn't the consistent opinion be to think they were lying and there was person to person spread?
Gold: 4,404.67
Jul 8 2020 11:28am
Regarding online learning: it's certainly the way to go for tertiary education, perhaps also for senior high stuff. But for everything below that, going fully remote is a bad idea. The interaction with peers that children experience at school is super important for the development of their social skills. It also serves to give children experience with people from different backgrounds. If children were all home-schooled, they'd mostly get into contact with their siblings and neighbors, which would exarbate socioeconomic echo chambers. Another factor to keep in mind: for immigrant children, school is super important to pick up the language and the culture/customs of the country.

Here in Germany, most teachers and education researchers came to the same conclusion: online learning during the shutdown (and beyond, some schools are still closed, and all of them remained closed longer than the shutdown lasted) was perfectly fine for kids from wealthy and educated households, their performance barely budged. But kids from poor or low-education German households saw a significant dropoff in their learning success, and for children from immigrant households, it was a total disaster. Now, the didactics and teaching materials weren't ready to go fully online, and teachers will eventually learn how to better reach the "weaker" students without physical presence. But the bottom line will definitely still be that those "weaker" students suffer the most from an end of in-person classes.
Jul 8 2020 11:28am
Quote (dro94 @ Jul 8 2020 12:22pm)
OK, so you based your opinion on thinking China were overplaying the effects of a virus when their history is covering things up.

But they said there was no person to person spread, and you believed that part of it? Wouldn't the consistent opinion be to think they were lying and there was person to person spread?

you're ignoring poor healthcare system. remember when we all freaked out about Ebola and many other african born diseases only to find out they're far less spread here due to better hygiene, different funeral practices, and better healthcare?

its not like bad mystery diseases being over hyped and under delivering has no precedent.

and in any case at the time there were basically 2 options "downplay" (as we see it in hindsight) or accept millions will die. Bazi is still far closer than the Washington Post was.
Gold: 4,921.71
Jul 8 2020 11:56am
Quote (dro94 @ Jul 8 2020 12:22pm)

of course I assumed they were lying in regards to person to person spread, where did I say I believed that part of it? what did I say in my very initial post that you referenced in regards to person to person spread?

my opinion is that there are obvious inconsistencies with the Chinese data and I won't form an opinion based on just that. when other country's data came in I changed my opinion promptly.

do you have a point beside china or no? way too circular at this point
Gold: 285.00
Jul 8 2020 12:00pm
Still wondering where people should have went when they left the hospitals and gone to the nursing homes.

People keep saying this like it is a talking point.

Where should they have gone upon hospital discharge and have their needs met?

This post was edited by Skinned on Jul 8 2020 12:01pm
Gold: 12,730.67
Jul 8 2020 12:04pm
Quote (Skinned @ Jul 8 2020 11:00am)
Still wondering where people should have went when they left the hospitals and gone to the nursing homes.

In a tent. We knew that nursing homes were extremely high risk based on the Seattle data. It was a very poor decision by Cuomo and their blood is on his hands.
Gold: 4,921.71
Jul 8 2020 12:09pm
Quote (Skinned @ Jul 8 2020 01:00pm)

do you mean older people who are needing to go to skilled or longer term facilities? I think it's a fair talking point no? I think the bigger talking point is what to do with members at these facilities who are showing symptoms and obviously not quarantined at said facilities
Go Back To Political & Religious Debate Topic List
Prev1571572573574575910Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll