d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > General Chat > Political & Religious Debate > Coronavirus Thread
Prev1570571572573574910Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 4,921.71
Jul 7 2020 04:02pm
Quote (dro94 @ Jul 7 2020 04:26pm)
I didn't say it was like SARS, I referenced the numbers being higher than SARS to illustrate the point that it was extremely serious even in early Feb. Let's not deflect.

If COVID-19 was like other coronaviruses, you wouldn't see deaths in those numbers in that short timeframe though, would you?

Also, on the point about immunity, wouldn't there be residual immunity from a coronavirus that's been in circulation for many years even when it mutates into a new strain in a following winter? Just to confirm, that's the type of immunity I'm referring to that would be present in those coronaviruses and not COVID-19.

You are correct in that the 3% mortality rate was derived from Chinese data, but surely being sceptical of Chinese numbers would mean thinking the reported figures were LOWER than actuals, not the other way around?

American coronavirus numbers are also higher than SARS, does that mean American coronavirus is extremely serious? I’m not deflecting, this argument of yours requires clarification. There is really no point to being up SARS here

Regarding Chinese data: one argue they have xyz claim to come up with the numbers. I didn’t know geopolitically what was going on at the time. Plus I’ve already said I was wrong in ignoring the early Chinese data so why are you fixating on this

On the point of immunity, again, there wasn’t any real data to suggest it was anything atypical from traditional coronavirus, aside from the Chinese numbers

Hence why the rest of the world and medical community was suspect of what was actually going on

I react to data as it comes and try not to get emotional. When rest of the worlds data started coming out then I changed positions which was iirc still earlier than a lot of pundits.

also I’m not taking it personally lol. As another note, around this time Chinese whom you are highlighting was also saying there isn’t person to person spread. They have a history of misplaying these incidents, both underplaying and overplaying

This post was edited by Bazi on Jul 7 2020 04:06pm
Gold: 12,730.67
Jul 7 2020 04:29pm
Quote (dro94 @ Jul 7 2020 02:45pm)
Voyager got a lot of stick for his comment about Trump not winning the presidency and got sent to the shadow realm for it, which wasn't personal.

I was reading through the thread and it was interesting to see Bazi, ThatAlex and Skinned playing down the virus the most when they were the only people to my knowledge in a medical or care field. Nobody said they were epidemiologists, but I'm sure we'd all agree they know more than the rest of us.

Voyaging gets shit because he's like the 2nd post of that thread and he's basically the amalgamation of everyone being wrong (including me). When we make fun of him, we're making fun of ourselves as well.
Gold: 260.11
Jul 7 2020 05:05pm
Quote (thundercock @ Jul 7 2020 05:29pm)
Voyaging gets shit because he's like the 2nd post of that thread and he's basically the amalgamation of everyone being wrong (including me). When we make fun of him, we're making fun of ourselves as well.

It's a good example of how you can use perfect reasoning and still be wrong, not because your method is flawed but because the universe is semi-random and single measurements of any kind can have weird results.

This post was edited by Thor123422 on Jul 7 2020 05:13pm
Gold: 5,016.77
Jul 8 2020 08:35am
https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1280857657365200902
https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1280853299600789505

In Germany, Denmark, Norway, Sweden and many other countries, SCHOOLS ARE OPEN WITH NO PROBLEMS. The Dems think it would be bad for them politically if U.S. schools open before the November Election, but is important for the children & families. May cut off funding if not open!

I disagree with @CDCgov on their very tough & expensive guidelines for opening schools. While they want them open, they are asking schools to do very impractical things. I will be meeting with them!!!

I guess Trump was watching Tucker last night.
Gold: 0.00
Warn: 30%
Jul 8 2020 08:43am
Quote (IceMage @ 8 Jul 2020 16:35)

you couldn't make shit up that is dumber than his twitter feed. obviously schools are re-opening here because we dealt with covid significantly better than the US did, because people here wear masks and take this issue seriously. i fully expect there to be local spikes after the summer holidays btw, and educators will probably have to be tested regularly until we have a vaccine.

he wants to have his pandemic and eat it. yes, the virus originated in china, and the ccp is more or less directly responsible for this world wide health and economic crisis imo, but donald trump making corona a partisan issue has cost tens of thousands of american lives - multiple 9/11s are directly on him - and apparently he's intent on making it many many more.
Gold: 14,569.69
Jul 8 2020 08:46am
Quote (fender @ Jul 8 2020 07:43am)
you couldn't make shit up that is dumber than his twitter feed. obviously schools are re-opening here because we dealt with covid significantly better than the US did, because people here wear masks and take this issue seriously. i fully expect there to be local spikes after the summer holidays btw, and educators will probably have to be tested regularly until we have a vaccine.

he wants to have his pandemic and eat it. yes, the virus originated in china, and the ccp is more or less directly responsible for this world wide health and economic crisis imo, but donald trump making corona a partisan issue has cost tens of thousands of american lives - multiple 9/11s are directly on him - and apparently he's intent on making it many many more.

not one trump culter cares
they hope more people globally die per their resistance against trump.
as I am sure you have heard the entire global virus is ok because the people in Brazil etc. are anti trump therefore should die, to keep the US economy strong and grade schools open.
Gold: 2,504.69
Jul 8 2020 08:48am
Quote (IceMage @ Jul 8 2020 09:35am)

my wife will start the year on maternity leave for the first 3 months. not even planned, just happen to be having the baby the week of inservice before school starts. thank god, will be much better to watch this shit from the sidelines. her district is already starting virtual, bought tablets for kids, and only has tepid plans to reopen fully.

can't wait to see Trump stomp on states' rights tho and demand from a federal level that schools reopen nation wide. NYC, bumfuck Idaho, doesn't matter. its about the message..... teachers might as well be nurses if we're all open in terms of risk of contraction. maybe worse as they dont have as much access to testing and protective gear.
Gold: 13,345.00
Jul 8 2020 08:57am
Quote (thesnipa @ Jul 8 2020 10:48am)
my wife will start the year on maternity leave for the first 3 months. not even planned, just happen to be having the baby the week of inservice before school starts. thank god, will be much better to watch this shit from the sidelines. her district is already starting virtual, bought tablets for kids, and only has tepid plans to reopen fully.

can't wait to see Trump stomp on states' rights tho and demand from a federal level that schools reopen nation wide. NYC, bumfuck Idaho, doesn't matter. its about the message..... teachers might as well be nurses if we're all open in terms of risk of contraction. maybe worse as they dont have as much access to testing and protective gear.

Congrats on the baby, we just had a baby girl in April.

Also i don't really understand the hysteria around schools. As of today we have what 12 Million worldwide cases? Yet you could count the number of deaths of 18 and under on your hand. A kid is infinitely more likely to die by going to the park honestly.

I understand spread being an issue but at some point we need the spread to happen and we need herd immunity to happen. We can't keep kicking this can down the road.
Gold: 2,504.69
Jul 8 2020 09:10am
Quote (ofthevoid @ Jul 8 2020 09:57am)
Congrats on the baby, we just had a baby girl in April.

Also i don't really understand the hysteria around schools. As of today we have what 12 Million worldwide cases? Yet you could count the number of deaths of 18 and under on your hand. A kid is infinitely more likely to die by going to the park honestly.

I understand spread being an issue but at some point we need the spread to happen and we need herd immunity to happen. We can't keep kicking this can down the road.

ty, and congrats!

the number of students my wife has where either grandparents live in the same home, grandparents take custody part time, or grandparents are the daycare is nearly 100%. we'd be guaranteeing infection of a large number of the elderly OR forcing parents to pay for child care to not risk their parents' lives.

herd immunity had a more clear case early on to stop the virus, with a risk of mutating growing larger i dont think its still valid. we could kill many elderly in pursuit of herd immunity only to find a mutated covid-20 is resistant to that herd immunity just like flu strains.

we're maybe 20 years from entirely virtual learning anyways, why not take a chance to beat the learning curve ahead of schedule? its not easy to do, it will be rough, and ill even say kids suffer in their education. but its also a can we keep kicking. school will be virtually virtual soon, just as large sectors of workers will work from home permanently eventually. overhead of facilities mixed with health risks all but ensure this, and it would have happened without covid anyways. we cant keep spending trillions to train kids for a workplace that may not exist or prep them for overpriced college that wont ensure job placement forever. the world is rapidly changing bereft of covid.
Gold: 57.00
Jul 8 2020 09:28am
Quote (thesnipa @ 8 Jul 2020 11:10)
ty, and congrats!

the number of students my wife has where either grandparents live in the same home, grandparents take custody part time, or grandparents are the daycare is nearly 100%. we'd be guaranteeing infection of a large number of the elderly OR forcing parents to pay for child care to not risk their parents' lives.

herd immunity had a more clear case early on to stop the virus, with a risk of mutating growing larger i dont think its still valid. we could kill many elderly in pursuit of herd immunity only to find a mutated covid-20 is resistant to that herd immunity just like flu strains.

we're maybe 20 years from entirely virtual learning anyways, why not take a chance to beat the learning curve ahead of schedule? its not easy to do, it will be rough, and ill even say kids suffer in their education. but its also a can we keep kicking. school will be virtually virtual soon, just as large sectors of workers will work from home permanently eventually. overhead of facilities mixed with health risks all but ensure this, and it would have happened without covid anyways. we cant keep spending trillions to train kids for a workplace that may not exist or prep them for overpriced college that wont ensure job placement forever. the world is rapidly changing bereft of covid.

yeah this is a great opportunity for society to figure out how to properly adapt to legitimate online learning. in undergrad the current structure seems to be “go read this and take a test” which is basically self-learning and not worth the current prices, so there are plenty of ways to improve what will become a new part of education from preschool to tertiary education
Go Back To Political & Religious Debate Topic List
Prev1570571572573574910Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll