d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > General Chat > Political & Religious Debate > Official Political Censorship Thread
Prev15657585960124Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 1.66
Mar 2 2019 03:25pm
Quote (Black XistenZ @ Mar 2 2019 11:31am)
you're missing the main area of dispute: the key issue is that the left lays claim to have unilateral authority over what exactly is considered "offensive" and "racist".

particularly in recent years, the left has moved the goalpost further and further and weaponizes the once noble idea of political correctness to silence voices of dissent, to silence opinions which just a few years ago were considered acceptable. pushback against this culture war tactic is very well justified and does not per se constitute an abuse of free speech.

But the left self-cannibalizes often, so it's not like the left is solely going after the right for areas of offence and racism. It's equal opportunist. And, as others have pointed out, it's not unique to the left and the right has utilized this same strategy for a long time too.
Gold: 22,189.49
Mar 2 2019 03:28pm
https://www.foxnews.com/politics/trump-on-cpac-stage-with-berkeley-assault-victim-promises-executive-order-on-campus-free-speech

President Trump announced Saturday that he will sign an executive order to promote free speech on college campuses.

Trump made the announcement at the Conservative Political Action Conference after he brought up to the stage Hayden Williams, the conservative activist attacked last month at University of California-Berkeley. Conservatives have accused some colleges of trying to supress anti-liberal viewpoints.

“He took a punch for all of us,” Trump said of Williams. “And we could never allow that to happen. And here is, in closing with Hayden, here’ the good news. He’s going to be a wealthy young man.”

Trump urged Williams to sue the man who assaulted him, but added, “he’s probably got nothing.”

The president drew cheers as he urged Williams to sue Berkeley as well.

Williams told Trump that students would continue to defend him so long as he defended them.

“These students do it because they have a love of our nation and freedom and, frankly, a love for you Mr. President,” Williams said.

Trump said to chants of "U.S.A, U.S.A.' that the executive order would require colleges and universities to support free speech in exchange for federal research dollars.

“If they want our dollars, and we give it to them by the billions, they’ve got to allow people like Hayden and many other great young people and old people to speak,” Trump said. “Free speech. If they don’t, it will be costly. That will be signed soon.”

Zachary Greenberg, 28, was arrested Friday on an arrest warrant accusing him of punching Williams several times in a a Feb. 19 attack.

Williams, 26, is campus recruiter for The Leadership Institute, a conservative group.

Berkeley officials said Greenberg and Williams are not students.

Also imagine the fact that there's a guy sitting in jail in berkeley who is just finding out that the president of the united states burned his ass on a national stage with that "he's probably got nothing" line.
Mar 2 2019 03:32pm
Quote (Goomshill @ Mar 2 2019 01:28pm)
https://www.foxnews.com/politics/trump-on-cpac-stage-with-berkeley-assault-victim-promises-executive-order-on-campus-free-speech

Also imagine the fact that there's a guy sitting in jail in berkeley who is just finding out that the president of the united states burned his ass on a national stage with that "he's probably got nothing" line.

Sounds like a mess of an Executive Order to me. People (Not implying you, Goom) too often conflate the college as an institution with students groups and their actions. Colleges overwhelmingly have strong free-speech protections, but it's almost always student groups that engage in activities such as no-platforming.

This post was edited by Handcuffs on Mar 2 2019 03:37pm
Mar 2 2019 03:39pm
Quote (Handcuffs @ Mar 2 2019 03:32pm)
Sounds like a mess of an Executive Order to me. People (Not implying you, Goom) too often conflate the college as an institution with students groups and their actions. Colleges overwhelmingly have strong free-speech protections, but it's almost always student groups that engage in activities such as no-platforming.

The past couple years have seen institutionalized violations of the first amendment at public colleges and similar abdications of free speech at private colleges. Generally the Heckler's Veto is the tool of choice, but they've also been happy to allow unsafe environments and cultures of hostility.
Gold: 4,400.67
Mar 2 2019 03:39pm
Quote (Thor123422 @ 2 Mar 2019 21:54)
How is it a cop out?

Because you nullified the "what about endorsement by non-white racists" talking point with your "it only counts if the presidential race was black vs black".

My question about how David Duke's endorsement of Trump and Farrakhan's endorsement of Obama differ from one another aims at the question about the degree to which politicians are responsible for endorsements they receive from toxic fringe figures.
Imho, your argument of "if you're endorsed by someone like that, you should question your messaging" either has to apply to both cases or to none; imho, my example shows an inconsistency in your logic.

You dodged having to address the core of my argument with the "it only counts if its same race" thing.

This post was edited by Black XistenZ on Mar 2 2019 03:44pm
Mar 2 2019 03:40pm
Quote (Goomshill @ Mar 2 2019 01:39pm)
The past couple years have seen institutionalized violations of the first amendment at public colleges and similar abdications of free speech at private colleges. Generally the Heckler's Veto is the tool of choice, but they've also been happy to allow unsafe environments and cultures of hostility.

So I can understand your position better, what examples do you feel demonstrate the bolded?
Gold: 4,400.67
Mar 2 2019 03:42pm
Quote (Goomshill @ 2 Mar 2019 22:28)

Juicy meat for Trump's base. I'm sceptical whether it will lead to much in the end though. Proving a violation of free spreech on the colleges' end in a way that is legally sound will be almost impossible. I dont see a way to pull this off where colleges cant sue the shit out of the administration after they withhold federal funding on such a legally shaky ground. Even more so if it's just an EO and not a proper bill passed by Congress.
Gold: 260.11
Mar 2 2019 03:46pm
Quote (Black XistenZ @ Mar 2 2019 03:39pm)
Because you nullified the "what about endorsement by non-white racists" talking point with your "it only counts if the presidential race was black vs black".

My question about how David Duke's endorsement of Trump and Farrakhan's endorsement of Obama differ from one another aims at the question for the degree to which politicians are responsible for endorsements they receive from toxic fringe figures.
Imho, your argument of "if you're endorsed by someone like that, you should question your messaging" either has to apply to both cases or to none; imho, my example shows an inconsistency in your logic.

You dodged having to address the core of my argument with the "it only counts if its same race" thing.

It's kind of an important distinction. If it's white versus black, the white racists are clearly going to vote white no matter the content and the black racists are going to vote black on matter the content.

You're sayings its a cop out, but it's a defining feature of the situation. If you change the races of the candidates you change the calculus for people who consider race as a major factor in voting habits.
Mar 2 2019 03:47pm
Quote (Handcuffs @ Mar 2 2019 03:40pm)
So I can understand your position better, what examples do you feel demonstrate the bolded?

https://www.forbes.com/sites/tomlindsay/2018/01/26/outlawing-the-hecklers-veto-drive-to-restore-free-speech-on-campus-gathers-steam-in-the-states/#6acbc2cadb06
https://www.thefire.org/rejecting-the-hecklers-veto/

In February, the University of California, Berkeley canceled a speech by then-Breitbart editor Milo Yiannopoulos due to fires, injuries, and vandalism caused by rioters. A month later at Vermont’s Middlebury College, a discussion featuring academic and writer Charles Murray was shut down mid-speech when a hostile mob drowned out Murray by chanting throughout his talk. This is in addition to numerous other examples of the heckler’s veto on display on campuses over the years, such as the cancellation of former New York City police commissioner Ray Kelly’s speech at Brown University in 2013 and the university-sponsored disruption of a student play at Washington State University in 2005.

That's a small set of examples, the list of actual violations of free speech would be long. Here's more of FIRE's examples;

https://www.thefire.org/the-10-worst-colleges-for-free-speech-2018/
Mar 2 2019 03:50pm
Quote (Black XistenZ @ Mar 2 2019 03:42pm)
Juicy meat for Trump's base. I'm sceptical whether it will lead to much in the end though. Proving a violation of free spreech on the colleges' end in a way that is legally sound will be almost impossible. I dont see a way to pull this off where colleges cant sue the shit out of the administration after they withhold federal funding on such a legally shaky ground. Even more so if it's just an EO and not a proper bill passed by Congress.

I look forward to the first college brave enough to sue the US government in a crusade against the first amendment.
Putting yourself in the shoes of rational administrators, do you think that's a hill they want to die on? They could just comply, or they could file lawsuits hoping to suppress free speech
Go Back To Political & Religious Debate Topic List
Prev15657585960124Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll