d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > General Chat > Political & Religious Debate > Coronavirus Thread
Prev1564565566567568910Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 17,384.69
Jul 1 2020 11:39am
Quote (ofthevoid @ 1 Jul 2020 19:26)
US healthcare system is extremely bloated. It's that way at various levels all throughout. I've long been a proponent of forcing some of these industries non-for profit. Insurance companies, hospitals, etc need to run at break even or slightly above, not look for ways to maximize the bottom line.

I think this is an area where centralization may be good. Unified hospital systems should be able to negotiate much better prices for products and squeeze suppliers into lower profit margins. Won't be good for those suppliers but definitely a positive for the general populace who's paying 30 dollars for a needle that costs 1 cent in steel costs and 10 cents in manufacturing costs.

You know, the french medics are extermely sollicitated, probably more than US ones, in normal times. It was really needed we stop the C19 progression.
The main point is winter is coming and things will end up very badly IF the contagion continues, for US. Burn Out of medical personal is a strategical factor which is NOT on most "short term" plans.

Regarding your "centralization" issue: US bought massive amount of redemsivir, but will this be used properly ? Is it just to make money ? - FDA seems completely corrupted - I think yes, it's not really here to save lives, but to make money for some "inner circle", first.

Then back on the first argument: yep, the poor areas will probably get the first blow of this potential "burn out" crisis. How long can they keep the distance ? They can still take some Methamphetamine. Hurra.
Gold: 12,845.00
Jul 1 2020 11:51am
Quote (RedFromWinter @ Jul 1 2020 01:38pm)
Have you heard of a 'Primary Care Membership' plan? The concept seemed neat, like a monthly subscription to a gym that gives you access to a set amount of services/amenities. It would be awesome if common services could be streamlines and made cheaper. I do appreciate the Mayo Clinic and what they can do for nuance/special cases, but to get a blood check there and talk to a cardiologist is highway robbery.

Yeah the routine stuff should be way cheaper than it is but i suspect part of it goes to subsidize the really expensive specialized workforce & equipment.

There are other tangent services i have an issue with. For example, ambulances. I have a family member who was taken to the hospital in an ambulance. The whole process took less than an hour. The cost? Over 2000 dollars. 15 minute ride to the hospital with two EMT's is 2000? seriously?
Gold: 285.00
Jul 1 2020 12:05pm
Quote (ofthevoid @ Jul 1 2020 01:51pm)
Yeah the routine stuff should be way cheaper than it is but i suspect part of it goes to subsidize the really expensive specialized workforce & equipment.

There are other tangent services i have an issue with. For example, ambulances. I have a family member who was taken to the hospital in an ambulance. The whole process took less than an hour. The cost? Over 2000 dollars. 15 minute ride to the hospital with two EMT's is 2000? seriously?

We could not have them? My wife broke her back Saturday and I drove her to the ER. Fucking terrible experience.

So much liability in running an ambulance company. That isn't the hospital you're complaining about, they don't work for hospitals.

But they have to restrain people, people die in them and they better have their DNR or full code figured out. They are lawsuit magnets.

This post was edited by Skinned on Jul 1 2020 12:07pm
Gold: 4,404.67
Jul 1 2020 12:11pm
Quote (RedFromWinter @ 1 Jul 2020 19:19)
Health institutions and workers have seen decades of good lifestyle and record profits. I'm still wondering why they were so ill prepared from a supplies perspective given the volume of capitol that flows through the system and ~2 months advance notice.

For example, Mayo Clinic had record profits last year of $1 billion. Yet, they received anonymous donation so they could anti-body test their staff O.o. Which will lead them to identify the 'immune' so they can do blood/plasma treatments using fluid from their own staff. Probably charge for it too...

In which universe have nurses and care workers seen a good lifestyle, let alone decades of it? Being a nurse is one of the most taxing, back-breaking, underpaid, underappreciated jobs out there...
Gold: 5.00
Jul 1 2020 01:15pm
Quote (Black XistenZ @ Jul 1 2020 01:11pm)
In which universe have nurses and care workers seen a good lifestyle, let alone decades of it? Being a nurse is one of the most taxing, back-breaking, underpaid, underappreciated jobs out there...

Rochester MN home of my anecdote. Those working in the health field are doing better in aggregate than other people in other occupations/industries. I'm not trying to discount the value these people have, just trying to point out that the institutions making record profits, but being ill equipped for this contingency is wack.

This post was edited by RedFromWinter on Jul 1 2020 01:16pm
Gold: 4,404.67
Jul 1 2020 01:19pm
Quote (RedFromWinter @ 1 Jul 2020 21:15)
Rochester MN home of my anecdote. Those working in the health field are doing better in aggregate than other people in other occupations/industries. I'm not trying to discount the value these people have, just trying to point out that the institutions making record profits, but being ill equipped for this contingency is wack.

Nursing home execs are pure scum, no doubt about that. The way they exploit nurses and care workers is one of the reasons. Well, I dont know about the situation in the US first-hand, but I'd be extremely surprised if the working conditions for nurses were better there than here in Europe...
Jul 1 2020 01:27pm
Quote (Skinned @ Jul 1 2020 02:05pm)
We could not have them? My wife broke her back Saturday and I drove her to the ER. Fucking terrible experience.

So much liability in running an ambulance company. That isn't the hospital you're complaining about, they don't work for hospitals.

But they have to restrain people, people die in them and they better have their DNR or full code figured out. They are lawsuit magnets.

Half the issue with why our costs are in the Alps compared to other first world nations. No other place like the US when it comes to ambulance chasers, no pun intended lol.

Every facet of our lives needs to be insured here. That's not the case for most of the world. Having lived in other places i think we should learn to live with a bit more risk to make things more affordable.
Jul 1 2020 01:34pm
Quote (ofthevoid @ Jul 1 2020 03:27pm)
Half the issue with why our costs are in the Alps compared to other first world nations. No other place like the US when it comes to ambulance chasers, no pun intended lol.

Every facet of our lives needs to be insured here. That's not the case for most of the world. Having lived in other places i think we should learn to live with a bit more risk to make things more affordable.

I just had a tree fall in a storm and do damn near 30k damage. Thank god for insurance lol.
Jul 1 2020 01:39pm
Quote (Skinned @ Jul 1 2020 03:34pm)
I just had a tree fall in a storm and do damn near 30k damage. Thank god for insurance lol.

Did you or your neighbors learn a lesson not to let trees get massive near your home? Probably not.

Idk man. 6-7 years ago i went to eastern Europe to get my molars removed, a procedure that would of cost me thousands here since i was uninsured. Even insured it's still overly expensive for no reason. There i got novacained and two sessions of half hour each in subsequent days i got them out. It cost me a total of 40 dollars.

I spent less on my month long vacation than i would have if i would just got my molars removed here.
Jul 1 2020 02:45pm
Quote (ofthevoid @ Jul 1 2020 03:39pm)
Did you or your neighbors learn a lesson not to let trees get massive near your home? Probably not.

Idk man. 6-7 years ago i went to eastern Europe to get my molars removed, a procedure that would of cost me thousands here since i was uninsured. Even insured it's still overly expensive for no reason. There i got novacained and two sessions of half hour each in subsequent days i got them out. It cost me a total of 40 dollars.

I spent less on my month long vacation than i would have if i would just got my molars removed here.

I've cut down 6 trees since then. I live in America's tree city. We have all these giant oaks that were planted about 55 years ago. If you are asking if the people who planted the trees 55 years ago realize that they are a problem now probably not because they Are dead or too old to manage such big properties.

It's cool because I just cut down 6 of the fuckers for only a few thousand dollars. I charged myself $1500 to cut up and remove the tree that had fallen and caused all the damage.

This post was edited by Skinned on Jul 1 2020 02:49pm
Go Back To Political & Religious Debate Topic List
Prev1564565566567568910Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll