d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > General Chat > Political & Religious Debate > Coronavirus Thread
Prev1559560561562563910Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 4,404.67
Jun 29 2020 06:37pm
Quote (Handcuffs @ 30 Jun 2020 02:15)
Thanks to people who defend for-profit healthcare, Gilead gets to continue to be a blood-sucking pharmaceutical company and is looking to charge 2 - 3 thousand dollars for Remdesivir, one of the first Covid-19 antiviral medications.

Genuine question: how much was Gilead charging for Remdesivir back when it was a Malaria drug? Some of these drugs are complex and expensive to produce, and as far as I understand it, the 2-3k dollar price tag refers to the entire treatment of one patient, not just to one dose.

This could be bad, but I wouldnt jump to conclusions yet without all the relevant info.

This post was edited by Black XistenZ on Jun 29 2020 06:37pm
Gold: 11,407.33
Jun 29 2020 06:41pm
Quote (Handcuffs @ Jun 29 2020 08:25pm)
Your sense of grandiosity is not matched by your abilities.

Anti-intellectual leftist aids-monger incapable of refuting anything I say has no room to to talk here.

Instead of trying to smear people who support capitalism, you should go read some books and articles on the reasons for supporting for-profit healthcare, why economic calculation and profit signals are important, how and why drugs are developed, and the reasons why pharma companies are able to charge so much..
Gold: 0.00
Jun 29 2020 06:46pm
Quote (cambovenzi @ Jun 29 2020 05:41pm)
Anti-intellectual leftist aids-monger incapable of refuting anything I say has no room to to talk here.

Instead of trying to smear people who support capitalism, you should go read some books and articles on the reasons for supporting for-profit healthcare, why economic calculation and profit signals are important, how and why drugs are developed, and the reasons why pharma companies are able to charge so much..

I think you're habitually unable to engage in introspection and reflection. A classic go-to for you is the whole "incapable of refuting anything I say" shtick. You hold yourself to a sense of grandiosity in that you believe yourself to be the only enlightened and educated person, believe all leftists are X, Y, and Z, and actually post little of any substance. The vast majority of your posts are merely commentary on other people and insults. You often source nothing, cite nothing, and contribute little.

Please tell me what there was for me to refute, debate, or challenge in response to such enlightened, nuanced, and educated responses such as:

Quote (cambovenzi @ Jun 29 2020 05:18pm)
>paste-eating leftist doesnt understand economics
Jun 29 2020 06:53pm
Quote (Black XistenZ @ Jun 29 2020 05:37pm)
Genuine question: how much was Gilead charging for Remdesivir back when it was a Malaria drug? Some of these drugs are complex and expensive to produce, and as far as I understand it, the 2-3k dollar price tag refers to the entire treatment of one patient, not just to one dose.

This could be bad, but I wouldnt jump to conclusions yet without all the relevant info.

The price tag does refer to the complete treatment, and individual doses are around several hundred dollars. A major issue in this whole thing though is that Gilead has a significant portion of it's research and development funded by tax payer dollars. This was the case with Truvada (HIV prevention medication) and also the case with Remdesivir when they first explored it as a Hep C treatment. Some $70 million was provided to Gilead for the development of Remdesivir, and millions were also provided to them for the development of Truvada. After being able to go to market though, Gilead historically has priced their medications at very high levels under the guise of "having to recoup their investments", but they have annual rates of profit that exists in the billions with a B.

In the US, because of drug patent laws, Gilead was able to sell Truvada for ~$,1800/month, but at the same exact time was selling Truvada in Australia for $8/month because there were generic/competitors in Australia. Again, all while maintaining billions in profit.

This iteration with Remdesivir is merely a continuation of a major problem within our for-profit healthcare system in the US. We as tax payers fund a significant amount of the RnD that's intended to result a in benefit towards the public good, but then pay extremely high prices for access to the very medication that we funded.
Jun 29 2020 06:53pm
Quote (Handcuffs @ Jun 29 2020 08:46pm)
I think you're habitually unable to engage in introspection and reflection. A classic go-to for you is the whole "incapable of refuting anything I say" shtick. You hold yourself to a sense of grandiosity in that you believe yourself to be the only enlightened and educated person, believe all leftists are X, Y, and Z, and actually post little of any substance. The vast majority of your posts are merely commentary on other people and insults. You often source nothing, cite nothing, and contribute little.

I have never claimed I am the only enlightened or educated person.
You are attacking a strawman.

I correctly recognize when anti-intellectual leftists post garbage and refuse to address my arguments and the arguments of others.
This is valid, even if you want to cry about it.

Please tell me what there was for me to refute, debate, or challenge in response to such enlightened, nuanced, and educated responses such as:

You made a shitty and ignorant smear against people who support for-profit healthcare.
My response was justified and accurate.

"Instead of trying to smear people who support capitalism, you should go read some books and articles on the reasons for supporting for-profit healthcare, why economic calculation and profit signals are important, how and why drugs are developed, and the reasons why pharma companies are able to charge so much.."
Jun 29 2020 06:59pm
Quote (Handcuffs @ 30 Jun 2020 02:53)
The price tag does refer to the complete treatment, and individual doses are around several hundred dollars. A major issue in this whole thing though is that Gilead has a significant portion of it's research and development funded by tax payer dollars. This was the case with Truvada (HIV prevention medication) and also the case with Remdesivir when they first explored it as a Hep C treatment. Some $70 million was provided to Gilead for the development of Remdesivir, and millions were also provided to them for the development of Truvada. After being able to go to market though, Gilead historically has priced their medications at very high levels under the guise of "having to recoup their investments", but they have annual rates of profit that exists in the billions with a B.

In the US, because of drug patent laws, Gilead was able to sell Truvada for ~$,1800/month, but at the same exact time was selling Truvada in Australia for $8/month because there were generic/competitors in Australia. Again, all while maintaining billions in profit.

This iteration with Remdesivir is merely a continuation of a major problem within our for-profit healthcare system in the US. We as tax payers fund a significant amount of the RnD that's intended to result a in benefit towards the public good, but then pay extremely high prices for access to the very medication that we funded.

I see. Still hard to tell how bad or justifiable this is without knowing the actual profit margin they're expecting on remdesivir. Not all drugs can be produced for $8/month. But yeah, with a track record like this, I get why you refuse to give Gilead the benefit of the doubt.
Jun 29 2020 06:59pm
Quote (cambovenzi @ Jun 29 2020 05:53pm)
I have never claimed I am the only enlightened or educated person.
You are attacking a strawman.

I correctly recognize when anti-intellectual leftists post garbage and refuse to address my arguments and the arguments of others.
This is valid, even if you want to cry about it.

You made a shitty and ignorant smear against people who support for-profit healthcare.
My response was justified and accurate.

"Instead of trying to smear people who support capitalism, you should go read some books and articles on the reasons for supporting for-profit healthcare, why economic calculation and profit signals are important, how and why drugs are developed, and the reasons why pharma companies are able to charge so much.."

No crying here. No tears either. Your posts are vapid and lack substance. Literally nobody takes you seriously here in PaRD. It's just rage post after rage post.

You've never actually 'debated' a single thing in PaRD as far as I can tell, but you don't actually ever 'debate' anything.
Jun 29 2020 07:04pm
Quote (Handcuffs @ 30 Jun 2020 02:59)
No crying here. No tears either. Your posts are vapid and lack substance. Literally nobody takes you seriously here in PaRD. It's just rage post after rage post.

You've never actually 'debated' a single thing in PaRD as far as I can tell, but you don't actually ever 'debate' anything.

For cam, there is nothing to debate. If you dont see why cam's viewpoint is superior and the only valid take on any issue at hand, then you're a pathetic liberal loser. So why would he waste his precious time trying to educate you despite knowing that you're too stupid and indoctrinated to ever realize how right and glorious he is, and how wrong you are?

This post was edited by Black XistenZ on Jun 29 2020 07:06pm
Jun 29 2020 07:06pm
Quote (Handcuffs @ Jun 29 2020 08:59pm)

Luckily facts aren't determined by the addled brains of leftists.
What a laughably moronic assertion.

Recognizing that you are a paste-eating leftist who made a shitty and ignorant smear against capitalists was never intended to be like the countless detailed arguments I have made here.

I simply met your post with what it deserved. Stay mad.
Gold: 12,730.67
Jun 29 2020 07:11pm
Quote (Handcuffs @ Jun 29 2020 05:59pm)

Cam is an asshole and commits logical fallacy after logical fallacy. All his arguments can be summarized in the following way: herp derp government bad herp derp only my rights matter, yours don't.

All you have to do is laugh at him, rub shit in his face, and move on. That's all the time he deserves.
Go Back To Political & Religious Debate Topic List
Prev1559560561562563910Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll