d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > General Chat > Political & Religious Debate > Got Questions About God? > #1 Can You Really Trust The Bible?
Prev1555657585978Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 10,042.00
May 6 2013 09:40am
Quote (brmv @ May 5 2013 06:58pm)
no, it is not common that people live by those ideas/principles
just have a read of the posts following your previous post and you will notice different views on those principles by religious (including self-styled christian) people
btw, i did not say that those are commonly adhered to ideas/principles but that those ideas/principles are common in quite a few cultures/religions
as said before, it would be good if you read up on something else in that context, eg buddhism
it is always amusing to see chirstians wanting to mount the moral high horse but not living by underlying ideas/principles, do you?

What Jesus taught was absolutely unique to any other religion or piece of literature.

Jesus taught that belief in HIM was enough to gain salvation. It is not about works, not about following the law, not about reincarnation into another life. His teaching was to consume his flesh and then you will gain eternal salvation.

There is absolutely no other religion that teaches the same theology. The principles may be similar, to be kind to one another, and make peace, etc, but that is just in accordance to the fact that truth is revealed to all people, not only in the 1st century.
Gold: 11,700.00
May 6 2013 09:49am
Quote (dajusta @ 6 May 2013 15:40)
What Jesus taught was absolutely unique to any other religion or piece of literature.
Jesus taught that belief in HIM was enough to gain salvation. It is not about works, not about following the law, not about reincarnation into another life.  His teaching was to consume his flesh and then you will gain eternal salvation. 
There is absolutely no other religion that teaches the same theology.  The principles may be similar, to be kind to one another, and make peace, etc, but that is just in accordance to the fact that truth is revealed to all people, not only in the 1st century.

oh yes, claiming to be the messaih as predicted in the scripture of the religion he grew up with was perhaps a novelty but what else?
and those self-styled christians who believe that they can sin their whole life but have salvation just diue to their belief lack logic
(but unfortunately there is no way to infuse any reason into fundamentalists)

/thread

This post was edited by brmv on May 6 2013 09:50am
Gold: 7,252.72
May 6 2013 09:58am
Quote (brmv @ May 6 2013 11:49am)
oh yes, claiming to be the messaih as predicted in the scripture of the religion he grew up with was perhaps a novelty but what else?
and those self-styled christians who believe that they can sin their whole life but have salvation just diue to their belief lack logic

/thread

...read it !

Romans 7
New International Version (NIV)
Released From the Law, Bound to Christ

7 Do you not know, brothers and sisters—for I am speaking to those who know the law—that the law has authority over someone only as long as that person lives? 2 For example, by law a married woman is bound to her husband as long as he is alive, but if her husband dies, she is released from the law that binds her to him. 3 So then, if she has sexual relations with another man while her husband is still alive, she is called an adulteress. But if her husband dies, she is released from that law and is not an adulteress if she marries another man.

4 So, my brothers and sisters, you also died to the law through the body of Christ, that you might belong to another, to him who was raised from the dead, in order that we might bear fruit for God. 5 For when we were in the realm of the flesh,[a] the sinful passions aroused by the law were at work in us, so that we bore fruit for death. 6 But now, by dying to what once bound us, we have been released from the law so that we serve in the new way of the Spirit, and not in the old way of the written code.

The Law and Sin

7 What shall we say, then? Is the law sinful? Certainly not! Nevertheless, I would not have known what sin was had it not been for the law. For I would not have known what coveting really was if the law had not said, “You shall not covet.”[b] 8 But sin, seizing the opportunity afforded by the commandment, produced in me every kind of coveting. For apart from the law, sin was dead. 9 Once I was alive apart from the law; but when the commandment came, sin sprang to life and I died. 10 I found that the very commandment that was intended to bring life actually brought death. 11 For sin, seizing the opportunity afforded by the commandment, deceived me, and through the commandment put me to death. 12 So then, the law is holy, and the commandment is holy, righteous and good.

13 Did that which is good, then, become death to me? By no means! Nevertheless, in order that sin might be recognized as sin, it used what is good to bring about my death, so that through the commandment sin might become utterly sinful.

14 We know that the law is spiritual; but I am unspiritual, sold as a slave to sin. 15 I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do. 16 And if I do what I do not want to do, I agree that the law is good. 17 As it is, it is no longer I myself who do it, but it is sin living in me. 18 For I know that good itself does not dwell in me, that is, in my sinful nature.[c] For I have the desire to do what is good, but I cannot carry it out. 19 For I do not do the good I want to do, but the evil I do not want to do—this I keep on doing. 20 Now if I do what I do not want to do, it is no longer I who do it, but it is sin living in me that does it.

21 So I find this law at work: Although I want to do good, evil is right there with me. 22 For in my inner being I delight in God’s law; 23 but I see another law at work in me, waging war against the law of my mind and making me a prisoner of the law of sin at work within me. 24 What a wretched man I am! Who will rescue me from this body that is subject to death? 25 Thanks be to God, who delivers me through Jesus Christ our Lord!

So then, I myself in my mind am a slave to God’s law, but in my sinful nature[d] a slave to the law of sin.
May 6 2013 10:13am
Quote (brmv @ May 6 2013 08:49am)

/thread

You're talking about topics of prophecy and hypocrisy now? Love to see the changing topics again, and again, and again..

Even with all that prophetic language, the teachers of the law still had no idea what Jesus meant when he taught. To them, it was a totally brand new teaching. So explain that wise guy.
Gold: 285.00
May 6 2013 10:14am
Quote (brmv @ May 6 2013 10:49am)

/thread

I can't speak for Christianity but I personally believe that it is never too late to become good and act with good will...good will being the only objective good that I can put my finger on.
Gold: 11,700.00
May 6 2013 10:26am
Quote (dajusta @ 6 May 2013 16:13)
You're talking about topics of prophecy and hypocrisy now?  Love to see the changing topics again, and again, and again..
what are you talking about here? i was just commenting on your statement
Even with all that prophetic language,the teachers of the law still had no idea what Jesus meant when he taught. To them, it was a totally brand new teaching.  So explain that wise guy.

as stated before: give me a source for that from outside the bible
and as said before the ideas/principles put forward (those stated by 'CPK001') were known on this earth well before the time of jesus
so there is no way to prove that those were original ideas for that area rather than copied, since there was international trade and therewith communication

This post was edited by brmv on May 6 2013 10:27am
May 6 2013 10:37am
Quote (brmv @ May 6 2013 09:26am)
as stated before: give me a source for that from outside the bible
and as said before the ideas/principles put forward (those stated by 'CPK001') were known on this earth well before the time of jesus
so there is no way to prove that those were original ideas for that area rather than copied, since there was international trade and therewith communication

Yes, your comments are entirely off topic in an attempt to derail the discussion. It's common dodgery tactics.

Why do I have to give you a source from outside the bible? I'm confused.
Gold: Locked
Trader: Scammer
May 6 2013 12:25pm
Quote (Ylem122 @ May 6 2013 06:33am)
IMO, its pretty but worthless if it dosnt.

Then you don't understand. Without these types of mathematical facts, you can't have numerical recipe books and all manner of other results used in particular areas.

This specific fact is how we know things like the integral of 1/(1 + 3(cos t)^2) and all sorts of other trigonometric integrals that are needed in particular applications, it solves differential equations (used very commonly in physics, among other areas), and is used in electric circuit analysis in the frequency domain. And, generally speaking, exponential functions are easier to calculate, so any time we can calculate those in place of trig functions, this can speed up the process, and possibly make some numerical techniques fast enough that otherwise would be too slow to be useful. Here are most of these applications in play:

http://math.gmu.edu/~rsachs/m116/eulerformula.pdf

Complex analysis often offers a shorter, more viable route to a solution on many problems than simpler theory.
Gold: 0.00
May 6 2013 01:59pm
Quote (dajusta @ May 6 2013 08:37am)
Yes, your comments are entirely off topic in an attempt to derail the discussion.  It's common dodgery tactics.

Why do I have to give you a source from outside the bible?  I'm confused.

Because we have sources outside of the New Testament that contradict what CPK said. Aetheric explained much of what Jesus taught was already part of Buddhism long before Christ.

In other words, show us Christ was unique. Widow explained some of it: Christ was unique in that he was God offering salvation in a completely human form and endured human suffering. No other religion has that type of tale in which a god dies totally human. However, what Jesus taught and said isn't unique at all to Christianity.
May 6 2013 04:00pm
Quote (sylvannos @ May 6 2013 12:59pm)
Because we have sources outside of the New Testament that contradict what CPK said. Aetheric explained much of what Jesus taught was already part of Buddhism long before Christ.

In other words, show us Christ was unique. Widow explained some of it: Christ was unique in that he was God offering salvation in a completely human form and endured human suffering. No other religion has that type of tale in which a god dies totally human. However, what Jesus taught and said isn't unique at all to Christianity.

I'm not following what CPK is saying so I'm not sure what outside source material is contradicting.

I agree with Widow, that Jesus' teaching on salvation is purely unique. No other religion has their God dying to sin, defeating it, and thus granting any believer eternal reward.

Other things like be kind to your neighbour, lust is already committing adultery, and not to store up treasures of this world, these are all things that are obvious good things. I'm not surprised Buddhism has "similar" ethics. They are generally good ethics.
Go Back To Political & Religious Debate Topic List
Prev1555657585978Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll