d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > General Chat > Political & Religious Debate > Coronavirus Thread
Prev1542543544545546910Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 57.00
Jun 7 2020 11:47am
Quote (dro94 @ 7 Jun 2020 12:30)
Agreed.

Mass protests where it's impossible to socially distance in the midst of a pandemic is just wrong. How many more people will die as a result?

It's also factually incorrect that we're on the back end of the pandemic considering antibody tests show only about 10% of the population have been infected.

well said my friend! and unfortunately it will be people participating in the mass protests that will get affected most - many of these are older people and minorities, groups who we were told by health experts were already affected disproportionately by the initial wave.
Gold: 17,384.69
Jun 8 2020 09:04am
Following experts containment saved 3.1 millions lives in 11 EU countries.
Brazil government stopped c19 deaths reporting, sad, really.
Gold: 260.11
Jun 8 2020 07:59pm
Quote (excellence @ Jun 8 2020 08:52pm)

Interesting.

Both good and bad. On one hand, it's good because it makes contact tracing a lot easier. Somebody doesn't get symptoms, then they're not spreading and can be ignored.

On the other hand, it means that our confirmed covid numbers are far more likely to be accurate, and only a small portion of the population is infected, meaning we can still have a shit load more get infected just about everywhere. I've been holding out for mass testing to reveal that >30% of the population has already been infected and gained immunity, and the actual lethality rate is much lower due to this. This really throws a wrench in that.
Gold: 4,404.67
Jun 8 2020 08:18pm
Quote (Thor123422 @ 9 Jun 2020 03:59)
Interesting.

Both good and bad. On one hand, it's good because it makes contact tracing a lot easier. Somebody doesn't get symptoms, then they're not spreading and can be ignored.

On the other hand, it means that our confirmed covid numbers are far more likely to be accurate, and only a small portion of the population is infected, meaning we can still have a shit load more get infected just about everywhere. I've been holding out for mass testing to reveal that >30% of the population has already been infected and gained immunity, and the actual lethality rate is much lower due to this. This really throws a wrench in that.

Various studies from various countries have all shown the dark figure to be about 5-10 times higher than the official number of infected. Taking the upper end of this range and applying it to the 2m cumulative cases in the U.S., this would indicate that not much more than 20m Americans have been infected yet, or ~6% of the population. So these hopes were actually already unrealistic before this new study came out. ;)

I wonder, however, if there is a difference between asymptomatic and presymptomatic spread. Like... what if those who remain asymptomatic are never all that infectious (because their immune system keeps the virus under control throughout the entire course of the disease) while those who eventually develop symptoms present a much greater risk of presymptomatic spread? In particular, I've read multiple times that the viral load in the throat of infected patients was highest around the day they first showed symptoms, or perhaps one day earlier.

Imho, this scenario would much more easily explain what happened in March, when this thing got madly out of control real quick even though authorities and public health institutions tried their best to trace cases and chains of infection. The way things went down in March are imho hard to explain in a world where asymptomatic and presymptomatic transmission both dont play a big role.

This post was edited by Black XistenZ on Jun 8 2020 08:23pm
Gold: 14,569.69
Jun 8 2020 08:21pm
Quote (excellence @ Jun 8 2020 06:52pm)

I wish they could make up their mind
Gold: 14,569.69
Jun 8 2020 08:24pm
Quote (Black XistenZ @ Jun 8 2020 07:18pm)
Various studies from various countries have all shown the dark figure to be about 5-10 times higher than the official number of infected. Taking the upper end of this range and applying it to the 2m cumulative cases in the U.S., this would indicate that not much more than 20m Americans have been infected yet, or ~6% of the population. So these hopes were actually already unrealistic before this new study came out. ;)

I wonder, however, if there is a difference between asymptomatic and presymptomatic spread. Like... what if those who remain asymptomatic are never all that infectious (because their immune system keeps the virus under control throughout the entire course of the disease) while those who eventually develop symptoms present a much greater risk of presymptomatic spread? In particular, I've read multiple times that the viral load in the throat of infected patients was highest around the day they first showed symptoms, or perhaps one day earlier. Imho, this scenario would much more easily explain what happened in March, when this thing got madly out of control real quick even though authorities and public health institutions tried their best to trace cases and chains of infection. The way things went down in March are imho hard to explain in a world where asymptomatic and presymptomatic transmission both dont play a big role.

Pre symptomatic. we do screening for all our job sites. Was wondering about this Subject one guy tested positive but left the same day only a couple hours on site before feeling ill. No other infections. No data from that
Gold: 260.11
Jun 8 2020 08:44pm
Quote (Black XistenZ @ Jun 8 2020 09:18pm)

I wonder, however, if there is a difference between asymptomatic and presymptomatic spread. Like... what if those who remain asymptomatic are never all that infectious (because their immune system keeps the virus under control throughout the entire course of the disease) while those who eventually develop symptoms present a much greater risk of presymptomatic spread? In particular, I've read multiple times that the viral load in the throat of infected patients was highest around the day they first showed symptoms, or perhaps one day earlier.

Imho, this scenario would much more easily explain what happened in March, when this thing got madly out of control real quick even though authorities and public health institutions tried their best to trace cases and chains of infection. The way things went down in March are imho hard to explain in a world where asymptomatic and presymptomatic transmission both dont play a big role.

I was just hoping. That would have been the best case scenario.

The only way it spreads internationally is with asymptomatic spread. If there isn't asymptomatic spread it is stopped at airports and with quarantines. This has some degree of spread either before symptoms or without symptoms. That's why SARS was stopped so easily and never became a pandemic, because you only were contagious if you were showing symptoms.

This post was edited by Thor123422 on Jun 8 2020 08:44pm
Gold: 4,404.67
Jun 8 2020 08:50pm
Quote (Thor123422 @ 9 Jun 2020 04:44)
I was just hoping. That would have been the best case scenario.

Yes, me too. I was intuitively leaning toward the herd immunity strategy for the longest time, but all the studies which came out over the last month or so have shown that this approach is a big mistake.

The only way it spreads internationally is with asymptomatic spread. If there isn't asymptomatic spread it is stopped at airports and with quarantines. This has some degree of spread either before symptoms or without symptoms. That's why SARS was stopped so easily and never became a pandemic, because you only were contagious if you were showing symptoms.

Well, it did take quite some time until the virus had made the jump from China to Europe. Once that had happened, it was too late to prevent a global spread though. So this observation is actually consistent with the findings of this new study that asymptomatic spread is not impossible but rare. What's not consistent with this finding is how miserably our local public health offices have failed to keep up contact tracing in late February and early March despite trying their best.

This post was edited by Black XistenZ on Jun 8 2020 08:51pm
Gold: 6.88
Jun 9 2020 03:48pm
Some parts of Ontario starting phase 2 now about time... sick being stuck in this bs when Toronto is where most the case were ... my area has 8 active cases and had same rule as Toronto even ot the 8 are long term care homes...
Go Back To Political & Religious Debate Topic List
Prev1542543544545546910Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll