d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > General Chat > Political & Religious Debate >
Poll > Trump 2020 > Trump Vs. Pack O' Dems
Prev1527528529530531983Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
  Guests cannot view or vote in polls. Please register or login.
Gold: 4,404.67
Jul 16 2020 05:59pm
Quote (thundercock @ 17 Jul 2020 01:26)
I think most evidence suggests that children under 10 don't spread it at all. I'm not sure if there are any cases in the world where a child has given it to someone under 10. I think the main issue is teachers giving it to children but as you said, it's probably not a big deal.

High school students are trickier though and that could be a disaster.

Well, children under 10 just wont follow social distancing and mask wearing rules, it would be illusional to hope for that.
With high school students, we can more reasonably expect them to keep a distance and wear masks. On the other hand, this is seemingly too much to ask from even adult Americans, so I'm not sure if you'll have more luck with high school kids. XD

This post was edited by Black XistenZ on Jul 16 2020 05:59pm
Gold: 107.77
Jul 16 2020 08:11pm
Gold: 285.00
Jul 16 2020 08:23pm
Quote (Black XistenZ @ Jul 16 2020 06:26pm)
For context:
"CDC director: Keeping schools closed poses greater health threat to children than reopening"

https://thehill.com/policy/healthcare/506640-cdc-director-keeping-schools-closed-poses-greater-health-threat-to-children

Our schools just are not stepping up.
Gold: 0.00
Warn: 30%
Jul 17 2020 03:02am
Gold: 5,016.77
Jul 17 2020 07:33am
Quote (MSX98 @ Jul 16 2020 10:11pm)
https://i.imgur.com/WY8E8xX.mp4

Jul 17 2020 07:39am
Quote (thesnipa @ Jul 16 2020 11:08am)
the Steele Dossier generally, obviously it's worse to use that trashpile as a FISA warrant application evidence, but still reporting on most of as credible was pretty silly.

Implicit connections during the election between Trump campaign officials and the Kremlin was walked WAY back, we got Flynn on basically talking to them in the lame duck phase and Manafort being compromised due to his money tied up in Ukraine.

then there was all of the headlines grabbing phrases like "obstruction of justice", "collusion", and other legal phrases to paint an unrealistic picture for people who were legally ignorant and hate trump.

i mean think of it this way, remember the time when the Mueller investigation was announced, but still early on? they printed so many stories it was insane. clearly not all of them were winners, nor would i expect them to bat 1000. my point was the time it took Mueller to release the report helped them a lot, because they had a chance to redact, redraft, etc before the report came out. news outlets must toss about half or more of their stories i'd guess, and in the digital age u just stop hosting old stories if they are duds.

You're speaking in generalities... I can't really work with that. If you want to link some fake news stories from NYT, go ahead. Otherwise, the picture I see is one where they accurately and appropriately covered a legitimate story and scandal. Any normal president would've been impeached for the same behavior, but the Steele dossier basically set the bar at treason, so anything short of that was dismissed by 1/3 of the country.
Gold: 2,504.69
Jul 17 2020 07:47am
Quote (IceMage @ Jul 17 2020 08:39am)
You're speaking in generalities... I can't really work with that. If you want to link some fake news stories from NYT, go ahead. Otherwise, the picture I see is one where they accurately and appropriately covered a legitimate story and scandal. Any normal president would've been impeached for the same behavior, but the Steele dossier basically set the bar at treason, so anything short of that was dismissed by 1/3 of the country.

it's not possible for me to do that, because of how online media works. stories are constantly updated as they get new info, so any link i click today has been modified. and some stories that were proven to be false are just straight removed.

this isn't a nefarious thing, news sites dont want to have 12 versions of a story up on their site with constant updates, nor do they want to host stories proven false.

plus try finding anything by googling stuff like "cnn steele dossier", it's a nightmare.

in any case i think we agree on how much MSM news sites broke stories that eventually ended up in the Mueller report. my only addition is that, due to the nature of leakers and false stories funneled their way, they also broke some stories that weren't proven. its like they killed all of the enemy combatants but also some collateral damage was done. when you're a news agency trying to process leaks from a federal investigation and are bound in printing as fast as possible and breaking stories this stuff happens. lastly, as mueller took forever they had time to clean up some of the stories that didnt make the report. so it was more of a "you guys said X, and X isn't in the report, but you'd already redacted it" instead of "you guys said X, and thats not in the report, so redact X now". and to be fair mueller mostly took forever due to 3 factors, he's thorough/patient, trump team was not cooperating and/or obstructing, and he needed a report at the scrutiny congress could work with.

dont think i can be more thorough, specific, fair, or nuanced than that. but also dont think youd object to that assessment. the only logical counter to what im saying is "MSM batted 1000 and didnt make any mistakes".

This post was edited by thesnipa on Jul 17 2020 07:50am
Jul 17 2020 12:28pm
Quote (thesnipa @ Jul 17 2020 09:47am)
it's not possible for me to do that, because of how online media works. stories are constantly updated as they get new info, so any link i click today has been modified. and some stories that were proven to be false are just straight removed.

this isn't a nefarious thing, news sites dont want to have 12 versions of a story up on their site with constant updates, nor do they want to host stories proven false.

plus try finding anything by googling stuff like "cnn steele dossier", it's a nightmare.

in any case i think we agree on how much MSM news sites broke stories that eventually ended up in the Mueller report. my only addition is that, due to the nature of leakers and false stories funneled their way, they also broke some stories that weren't proven. its like they killed all of the enemy combatants but also some collateral damage was done. when you're a news agency trying to process leaks from a federal investigation and are bound in printing as fast as possible and breaking stories this stuff happens. lastly, as mueller took forever they had time to clean up some of the stories that didnt make the report. so it was more of a "you guys said X, and X isn't in the report, but you'd already redacted it" instead of "you guys said X, and thats not in the report, so redact X now". and to be fair mueller mostly took forever due to 3 factors, he's thorough/patient, trump team was not cooperating and/or obstructing, and he needed a report at the scrutiny congress could work with.

dont think i can be more thorough, specific, fair, or nuanced than that. but also dont think youd object to that assessment. the only logical counter to what im saying is "MSM batted 1000 and didnt make any mistakes".

I can't recall any NYT stories on Russiagate that were proven to be false though. The right-wing nuts obsess over false stories, so it shouldn't be hard to find any that were blatantly false. I'm sure there's at least one or two, I can't recall them though.

I think what you're doing is enabling(though not explicitly arguing) the right-wing talking point that outlets like the NYT got Russiagate wrong, even though they were responsible for many of the big scoops that turned out to be absolutely true. I'm not accusing you of this exactly, but there's this constant conflation between what the most flamboyant, conspiratorial voices at MSNBC said, and what outlets like the NYT/WaPo reported. Sure, voices on MSNBC went overboard in assuming facts that weren't yet there, just as those in the right-wing media stuck their heads in the sand and pretended there weren't any suspicious findings. There's always voices on both sides of an issue that go too far.

But I think people who followed closely and who don't have an irrational bias against the media can say that outlets like the Times and WaPo did a great job covering the story. It's not Maggie Haberman's fault if CNN and MSNBC wanted to cover Russiagate 24/7.
Gold: 2,504.69
Jul 17 2020 12:35pm
Quote (IceMage @ Jul 17 2020 01:28pm)
I can't recall any NYT stories on Russiagate that were proven to be false though. The right-wing nuts obsess over false stories, so it shouldn't be hard to find any that were blatantly false. I'm sure there's at least one or two, I can't recall them though.

I think what you're doing is enabling(though not explicitly arguing) the right-wing talking point that outlets like the NYT got Russiagate wrong, even though they were responsible for many of the big scoops that turned out to be absolutely true. I'm not accusing you of this exactly, but there's this constant conflation between what the most flamboyant, conspiratorial voices at MSNBC said, and what outlets like the NYT/WaPo reported. Sure, voices on MSNBC went overboard in assuming facts that weren't yet there, just as those in the right-wing media stuck their heads in the sand and pretended there weren't any suspicious findings. There's always voices on both sides of an issue that go too far.

But I think people who followed closely and who don't have an irrational bias against the media can say that outlets like the Times and WaPo did a great job covering the story. It's not Maggie Haberman's fault if CNN and MSNBC wanted to cover Russiagate 24/7.

seems like we mostly agree, here's a fun one google spit out with my bland search:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/national-security/russian-hackers-penetrated-us-electricity-grid-through-a-utility-in-vermont/2016/12/30/8fc90cc4-ceec-11e6-b8a2-8c2a61b0436f_story.html
Gold: 14,569.69
Go Back To Political & Religious Debate Topic List
Prev1527528529530531983Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll